Forum Closed  

05-01-2013, 13:37   #1

Caching Equipment

What equipment do you use for caching? I'm currently using a combination of my Garmin e-Trex H and my Galaxy Note 2. I download all the caches that I want to find onto the Galaxy for offline use as I don't have the data cable for the Garmin. The Galaxy is also handy for finding nearby caches if I'm out and about and don't have any caches downloaded for that area.
I am thinking about changing my GPS for something like the Garmin e-Trex 10. Nice and cheap but packed full of great features.

So, what do you use?
Advertisement
05-01-2013, 15:37   #2

Can you not do it all on your phone?

Feck Garmin and all their overpriced crap, big thanks to google maps for putting them in their place.
05-01-2013, 15:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky the Squirrel View Post
Can you not do it all on your phone?

Feck Garmin and all their overpriced crap, big thanks to google maps for putting them in their place.
You can, but there is no replacement for a dedicated gps to be honest. Not to mention the battery drain on the phone by using the phones gps.
Also, the garmin handheld gps devices are second to non and very cheap! No need for any maps either. You don't navigate by maps when geocaching.
05-01-2013, 16:00   #4
Vaperus

I use my Iphone
Garmin Nuvi in the Bus
Garmin GPSMap 62SC Main Device

I started off using the Iphone and it was fine.
The Gps units are a bit more accurate and some like the one I use is geared up for Geocaching holds all the cache details etc.
Thanks from:
05-01-2013, 18:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardy View Post
You can, but there is no replacement for a dedicated gps to be honest. Not to mention the battery drain on the phone by using the phones gps.
Also, the garmin handheld gps devices are second to non and very cheap! No need for any maps either. You don't navigate by maps when geocaching.
so how does it work? Is it a dot you hone in on?

I really need to read up on it but the size of the wiki page is putting me off.
Advertisement
05-01-2013, 18:31   #6
Vaperus

The Gps or App just gets you close, how close depends on the equipment.
Basically you will see your current location and the location the Cache was logged at.
You could be within a few feet or a few metres of it.

Then its just a case of looking, some caches will give a hint.

Start off with the easy ones until you get the hang of it, you soon get used to the type hiding places and types of cache

Some can be quite large about the size of a sandwich box or a bit bigger some are a lot smaller, Nano cache oftren magnetic around 5-6mm in diameter 10mm long, these only contain a log book.

Some are right sneaky
branch of a tree
A Rock
A Snail
Pine cone
Grass

these are some of the types ive found and can take a bit of finding

The one advantage of the phone app is it is live, so wherever you go you can do a live search for Caches. With a GPS you have to download the caches to it. So if you downloaded caches for Dublin for example and ended up in Belfast chances are you wont have all if any of the caches on your GPS device

Last edited by Vaperus; 05-01-2013 at 18:34.
(3) thanks from:
05-01-2013, 21:09   #7
GhostInTheRuins

I was using an etrex10 for a while, grand bit of kit. Someone was very nice any upgraded me to an etrex20. It's more or less identical to the 10 except with maps.

Using your phone on it's own is grand for a while, only problem is the gps function absolutely kills your battery, and of course it isn't as accurate. It should do okay for finding the odd few caches, but if you plan on putting any caches out then a phone will be useless because you won't get a good enough accuracy for decent co-ordinates. The phone app is good for logging on the go though.

Anyone looking for an etrex 10 give me a pm
05-01-2013, 21:34   #8
Vaperus

Yes A dedicated GPS is more accurate but you have to keep it up to date.
For example if a new Cache gets published or one gets archived, the GPS may not show them
Thats why I use both.
Worst case is you can enter the cords shown on the app into the GPS at the time for more accuracy
06-01-2013, 12:19   #9
PhotogTom

Just starting and have found a grand total of two caches. So, basically, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about! But, using an iPhone 5 so far and I don't really see what a dedicated GPS will do extra? I have had some past experience (marine) with GPS handhelds so I know a bit about them. But, what is the advantage beyond increased accuracy?
Advertisement
06-01-2013, 12:36   #10
Vaperus

accuracy and battery life are the main advantages for me.
If you are placing your own caches you really need a GPS as the phone app isnt accurate enough
GPS are usually also more rugged and can be water proof
Dropping the iphone on the rocks or in water isnt good
06-01-2013, 14:14   #11
Tabnabs

A reliable old Garmin eTrex and the iPhone for me. Being out routing around is as much part of the fun for me.
06-01-2013, 14:40   #12
DaveNoCheese

How much would a handheld GPS set you back??
06-01-2013, 14:52   #13
Vaperus

Depends on what you go for but a few examples are

GPSMap 62SC around 250
garmin etrex 20 around 190
etrex 10 around 110

A couple of good links
http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx
http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps
06-01-2013, 15:06   #14
DaveNoCheese

Cheers mate, bit out of my price range at the moment, might just use the GPS on the phone and stick to finding some easy caches to start with.

Build on it from there
06-01-2013, 15:09   #15
Vaperus

yes thats the best way to be honest
You can get on fine with the Phone App
Forum Closed