Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever had depression?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

yeah,young'uns can be harsh. A little tip: Don't just take it all in and get depressed for no reason,talk about it and get some of the weight off your shoulders.

Or at the very least tell them to go F*ck themselves and kick them in the nuts if you have to. I don't promote violence,but actions speak more painfully than words

tries that one and a knacker threw a table at me in class:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

tries that one and a knacker threw a table at me in class:eek::eek:
    Something like that happened to me too! Standing up for myself :rolleyes:

M&S* wrote: »
    Something like that happened to me too! Standing up for myself :rolleyes:

tut tut
    :) i shall rebel against my year someday..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

They should bolt school tables to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

Personally no. BUT i have 2 brothers who both suffer from it. One Mild and one Severe to be honest medication did not work. One had counseling one didnt. Again they dont believe this makes a difference but it is different for everyone and some people respond better to talking to someone . Medication can be a bad thing ( Not always though ) as it can block why you feel the way you do and how you feel it it. You need to be able to cope with how you feel and the danger is that if you block the feelings with Drugs how will you cope with the feelings when you come off them.

• Advertisement

+1
    thank god someone agrees. the difference between bolting a table and not is life and death

I received a pretty intense one on one 'therapy programme' for a number of years, in conjunction with physiotherapy.

I have to admit that working both together seemed to help greatly, however, I always reached a point where my councillor wished to take me back to the two specific incidents which changed my life, this is were I failed, as I could not bring myself to go back to those times and places.

To this day, I stuck there, all those years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Off-topic and inappropriate posts deleted.
    I've been very impressed with this thread up to this point, let's not see it ruined by silly/fake-threatening posts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I've never been clinically diagnosed with depression (and as such have never been medicated for it) but I have been to see counsellors about my moods. The first time I spoke to someone professional (just over two years ago) was of enormous benefit to me. I was dealing with problems in my head for nearly six months, thinking I could cope. When I stopped feeling able to cope, I then had the problem of not feeling confident enough to see someone. After about six weeks thinking about it, I eventually walked into a counsellor's office, talked things out and arranged a second appoinment. She believed I was suffering from mild depression, but as I said I never got it properly diagnosed.

That was in December of that year. I was supposed to see her again the following January, but I felt better and didn't go back.
    Then the same problems hit me again a few months ago. I've written essays in my blog about all that, not going to repeat it all here, but long-story-short, I went back to the first counsellor, didn't find her very helpful, and arranged to meet a different one instead. It's been 7 weeks since then, and I've an appointment with her again tomorrow, but life has hit an upward curve again for me in that time so I should be able to give her some positive news.

Talking about depression won't cure it, but I've found it's definitely a massive step in the right direction.

• Advertisement

My Limerick friend, if I may, depression can lie in a near dormant form for long periods at a time, giving you a false sense of security.

My advice would be, if possible, talk it thru with the experts, as it has a nasty habit of raising its ugly head when least expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I can’t count the amount of times I’ve gone to post in this thread, then stopped myself. It’s awkward to talk about I guess.

I’ve never been diagnosed (except with anxiety as a cause of migraine), so I couldn’t in all honesty answer if I’ve been “depressed” or not. I hate that word at times, because people use it so lightly. I’ve had a lot of ups and downs, sure. The year I did medicine was probably the worst. I didn’t want to get out of bed in the morning (not in an “I’m tired” way, I genuinely had nothing to get up for), I didn’t want to do anything, see anyone, enjoy myself in any way - I didn‘t think I deserved any of it. The one thing that kept me sane that year was training. I only did it out of routine’s sake at the start, but gradually it helped. Deciding to drop out when I knew I wasn’t happy in the course was also the best decision I’ve ever made. Since then, sure, I’ve had a few crap days, weeks, months, but nothing’s been as bad as that and I got through it then, so I’ll get through it now.

As for ever considering suicide? I doubt I ever got that bad - having to talk someone out of doing just that when you’re all of about 10 that makes you know that you could never do that to somebody. I could never put anybody through that, it’s probably the worst thing that’s stuck with me over the years and I’ve had a fairly messy life! :p

Now let us never speak of this again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I can’t count the amount of times I’ve gone to post in this thread, then stopped myself. It’s awkward to talk about I guess.

Ditto.

I was never diagnosed anyway. 2nd and 3rd year were rough for me, I wasnt comfortable in my own skin, hated about 80% of my year, had family member who were vegetables etcetc. I had no feeling of self worth whatsoever, hated everything.

Contemplated suicide? Yes, a lot. But that's another story.

Life is a bit nicer now. :)

Fad wrote: »
    Ditto.

I was never diagnosed anyway. 2nd and 3rd year were rough for me, I wasnt comfortable in my own skin, hated about 80% of my year, had family member

Contemplated suicide? Yes, a lot. But that's another story.

Life is a bit nicer now. :)

i agree when im with my family thouugh i savour it and it makes me feel better about myself or at school when i want to breakdown. but i have hope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i agree when im with my family thouugh i savour it and it makes me feel better about myself or at school when i want to breakdown. but i have hope

I didnt like or trust my family......still dont entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I <3 this thread.

Thought I'd get that out there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Yes.

Only mild, but it's been pretty bad. If I'm mild, I would NEVER want it to be severe. I've been prescribed Laxepro since November, and I'm a bit happier.

I've been so bad I contemplated suicide. (Next bit is in a spoiler, it could be a trigger)
    I once hung a noose out of my school tie around my curtain rail, and wrote a note.

I'm moving schools come September, and I can't wait. I've been a fake person since I was ten, and now that I'm sixteen, enough's enough. I'm fed up with pretending to be who I'm not, so when I go to a new school, it should get better...I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I feel like I'm butting in here, never having had to deal with this particular problem, but I have to say I really admire all of you for being so frank and open about your personal experiences.

The stigma still exists, but it's people like all of you who are making that change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I've been thinking for ages about replying, but this is a lot more personal than anything else that I talk about here so I've been very aprehensive, but a few comments, including A Neurotic's, have made me say fúck it.

I'm not a particularly happy person, but I'm not a sad person either. I go through phases of feeling like absolute crap, most recently being last week, which lasted a few days. But that's generally pretty mild.
    A few months ago I was definitely in full blown depression, which was after a bunch of things happening, mainly in my family, and also starting college. College got me down for ages because I'm awkward at the best of times in social situations, and as a result I just wasn't able to get talking to the people on my course. Thankfully that phase passed, mainly thanks to my brother.
    I haven't felt as down as that since then, but I've definitely been close to going down that path, but I've managed to, for want of a better expression, to cop myself on and get out of that mode.

There have been a lot of issues in my family throughout my life, a whole lot more than any other family I know have had to deal with, and this affected me more than I thought. It's only recently that I've thought about it again. I kept these things to myself, which when you're ten is never good. I went to a psychologist, but I don't know if she helped or not. She was very nice though.

I'm in an in-betweeny mood at the minute, which I'm happy about. Generally my ecstatic moods are either followed or preceded by a total crash, so I'll be contented until that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

.. group hug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm the same as A_Neurotic. I've had my few emo moments- and that's exactly what they were, whingy self-absorbed moments- nothing like what a lot of people on this thread have had to deal with, well done on being so frank and open about your experiences, hopefully this thread will be of great help to people who might be going through some lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yes, summer after the JC. I kept close to myself and didn't talk to any of my friends or barely spoke to parents. I felt completely seperated from them. Parents just thought I was just being a "teenager" and told me to stop acting like a child. Eventually they realised I wasn't just being a teen or feeling down in the dumps, so they asked me to go the GP

GP didn't want to prescribe me anything but, he referred me to a psychiarist. It didn't help at all IMO. He was foreign and didn't really understand what he was trying to tell me or convey.

Today, I don't know exactly how I stopped feeling depressed. I started making new friends who didn't know me at that time, it felt like a clean slate and made me feel better somehow. However, I do think my parents played a big role in reducing the depression.

Since then, I always ask my friends/family was how their day was. Talking about your problems helps alot, big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

creggy wrote: »
    Since then, I always ask my friends/family was how their day was. Talking about your problems helps alot, big time.
    speaking for myself and people I know who had depression,asking "how was your day?" can be the most important sentence you can say at a time like that.

for anyone who reads this and thinks they have a friend with depression,just let them know you are there and you have an interest in them, it can be enough to pull someone out of a downward spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I'm not sure if I had tbh. I was feeling awful for a period back a while ago, hiding in the dark, crying knowing that my life wasn't as good as I had previously thought but I dunno.
    Life just really gets hard at times for me and when i have no-one to confine in about such and such a thing, it doesnt help atal and I get angry with myself too.

Never let anyone know this though but my mam did notice and questioned if i was alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I don't think anyone hasn't at some stage or another, me I tend to overthink situations and land myself in fantasy land, and then when i get realistic about said situation, the depression kicks in, fairly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I don't think anyone hasn't at some stage or another, me I tend to overthink situations and land myself in fantasy land, and then when i get realistic about said situation, the depression kicks in, fairly common.

actually that's the same with me.
    This might sound peculiar but i'd be down for days if a result i thought would work out, didn't, sportswise. Probably the worst case was back in august, limerick vs. Tipp semi final.
    I actually didn't talk to anyone after that for maybe a full day IRL honestly and after that I was down for maybe 3/4 days later. Unfortunatly, there was tears too.
    And if anyone from the gaa forum is reading this then yes, soccy can't take hefty losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Tbh, sometimes I've wondered if I do, especially over the last few months, it generally only lasts a few days at a times, then I start to feel better. It's mainly when I'm by myself, I just start to over think everything, then get really down about it. This has been going on for the last few years, sometimes it's worse than others, and yes, I have contemplated suicide, however I know I would never act on it.
    Luckily, recently though I've someone I can talk to, not even about what I'm feeling, but they can just instantly cheer me up by talking about nothing.

Also, seeing as my Mum is a psychotherapist, I've grown up with someone who encourages me to be open about everything, and would be totally supportive if I decided I wanted to go to talk to someone, she has suggested it several times but I haven't taken her up on the offer.
    On the other side, having a counsellor in the house, can get a bit irritating, if I just decide to sit in my room listening to music, there must be something wrong, and she keeps at me and it usually ends up in me getting annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

kateos2 wrote: »
    Tbh, sometimes I've wondered if I do,
    I have contemplated suicide

I would say you do.

Although I'm not criticizing, I'm sure most of us have contemplated it at one stage, well, most of us in this thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I would say you do.

Although I'm not criticizing, I'm sure most of us have contemplated it at one stage, well, most of us in this thread anyway.

I disagree. I've contemplated it, if by contemplated you mean I've gone over the will power it would take me to go through with such an act, considering how much I like to be alive. Also the consequences for my family and friends, and even people who don't know me that well. I've never seriously considered suicide in any way, shape or form.
    I think many people would do what I've done, and just be turned away from the idea. In fact, I think nearly everybody would be turned away from the idea if they thought about all of that.

I do understand though that some people just think they're better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

+1 on the group hug that someone mentioned a few posts ago.

I've had some form/severity of depression since 2nd year of school, I refused to talk about it with some amazing friends who tried to help me on numerous occasions...don't ask why. Pride? Fear? Something. My mom tried to get me to talk about it too - she wanted to help me but had trouble identifying with the actual term 'depression' due to a history of suicide and depression in my family. I got sick of trying and failing to handle it in about 5th year, opened up to someone and went to see a doctor who was no freaking help at all and made me go more 'inside' myself about the whole issue. Deflecting help and all that. Winter of 6th year was...****. And this year I finally decided I needed to do something about it before I did something about it. And so came about being diagnosed with seasonal affect disorder, which (although I knew that's what it was all along) was a complete ****ing relief to hear. Instead of having this overwhelming 'something' I had an actual name for the thing. With the help of some fantastic friends (truly fantastic) and the wonderful UCD health service people (the counselor's free and if you have trouble with the doctor's fees the SU will help you out no bother) things are looking a lot better. SAD by nature is basically winter depression and affects me worst from about September to March but when next Winter rolls round I'll deal with it.

I'm happy to talk to friends about this but have as of yet to mentioned it to my parents, who would probably be mighty pleased that I've done something about it, and pay the bills for it (they still haven't worked out where my loan went) but I will in time. Maybe. Let people in, you say? Pfffft.

Advertisement