Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

ush wrote: »
    They were groundbreaking amounts of cash in fairness.

Innovative even.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Just read in the Mail there that miley cyrus is doing a Metallica cover album??? Wtf sure the band could and should stop this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cd07 wrote: »
    Just read in the Mail there that miley cyrus is doing a Metallica cover album??? Wtf sure the band could and should stop this happening

It’ll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'd be more concerned about Metallica returning the favour, and doing a Miley Cyrus covers album :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Duet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Why? They [as the songwriters] would make money out of it! Plus, they were happy to do other people's songs throughout their careeer so why would they stop somebody covering their songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Okon wrote: »
    Why? They [as the songwriters] would make money out of it! Plus, they were happy to do other people's songs throughout their careeer so why would they stop somebody covering their songs?

There was a story a couple years back, where a band were covering their material, and Metallica's Legal team got wind of it, and sent a cease and desist.

When the band themselves got word of it, they told the legal team to cop on, and gave their blessing to the cover band. Sure, they started out (as most do) as a cover band themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Seen this and seen a lot of hate, what difference does it make if she covers them? Could draw more people into listening to Metallica, im interested and i'll listen to it anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    There was a story a couple years back, where a band were covering their material, and Metallica's Legal team got wind of it, and sent a cease and desist.

When the band themselves got word of it, they told the legal team to cop on, and gave their blessing to the cover band. Sure, they started out (as most do) as a cover band themselves

Think that was Beatallica "controversy" from 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Miley did a cover of Zombie there the other day. Not too bad at all and big boots to fill for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Miley did a cover of Zombie there the other day. Not too bad at all and big boots to fill for that one.

Yeah, her Zombie was really good... Miley also did a live cover of Nothing Else Matters at Glastonbury last year which was actually ok. So if we do get a whole album of Metallica covers I think it will be interesting to hear her take on those songs... if we don't like them the world isn't going to end though.

Okon wrote: »
    Yeah, her Zombie was really good... Miley also did a live cover of Nothing Else Matters at Glastonbury last year which was actually ok. So if we do get a whole album of Metallica covers I think it will be interesting to hear her take on those songs... if we don't like them the world isn't going to end though.

That’s it exactly the world will continue and all will be well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Would be interesting to see another Metallica covers album. Garage Days 2 wasn't bad at all in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Don't see any issue at all with her doing a covers album. Not sure i'll listen to it though:pac:

Granadino wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see another Metallica covers album. Garage Days 2 wasn't bad at all in hindsight.

At this stage it would be realistic to have a covers album of recent influences rather than nwobhm

At this stage it would be realistic to have a covers album of recent influences rather than nwobhm

Wouldn't mind them covering some songs from other bands like Slayer, Rammstein etc.

Think Lars would crush Angel of Death & Raining Blood!

Degag wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind them covering some songs from other bands like Slayer, Rammstein etc.

Ha yeah but they usually cover influences, they’ve done the pre kill em all influences to death so there’s a good chance their new influences will not be metal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Degag wrote:

Think those songs would crush him tbh

Ha yeah but they usually cover influences, they’ve done the pre kill em all influences to death so there’s a good chance their new influences will not be metal at all

I wonder what their later influences would be? I know Lars was into Oasis, but can't see them covering Oasis. Maybe some U2 stuff. I liked their Nick Cave cover on the second covers album, so maybe this is a route they might go down. Joy Division, some U2, a host of rock bands they could cover (CoC, Down etc), but I don't know who they are into.
    Maybe James will do his country album!

Granadino wrote:
    I wonder what their later influences would be? I know Lars was into Oasis, but can't see them covering Oasis. Maybe some U2 stuff. I liked their Nick Cave cover on the second covers album, so maybe this is a route they might go down. Joy Division, some U2, a host of rock bands they could cover (CoC, Down etc), but I don't know who they are into. Maybe James will do his country album!

I believe ulrich is listening to a lot of rage lately, now that would be interesting

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I believe ulrich is listening to a lot of rage lately, now that would be interesting

Think we can add machine head , ghost, king diamond , the sword as recent ones , probably another lizzy tune! Suicidal tendencies with special guest Mike muir would savage!

Think we can add machine head , ghost, king diamond , the sword as recent ones , probably another lizzy tune! Suicidal tendencies with special guest Mike muir would savage!

Yeah, an ST song would be good and a nod to Rob too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Outside of metal i like Miley, i genuinely think she has one of the best set of pipes in the business.

Look at these few vids, IMO she's going harder, she played NEM at Glasto last year and since then seems to be going a LOT heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think she'll do a great job on the Metallica album, but I'll personally need to hear some really obscure covers - like 'Mama Said' or 'Of Wolf and Man' - and not obscure in the sense that you wouldn't know them but rather obscure because you wouldn't expect them covered. So please not just an album of 'Nothing Else Matters', 'Enter Sandman', 'Sad But True' and 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' etc - I think these would all work really well and she should do THEM but needs to throw some more obscure stuff in. Like 'Low Man's Lyric'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Has anyone got any free links to the AWMH concert that's happening today?

Has anyone got any free links to the AWMH concert that's happening today?

Ummm, why would you want free links? It's a charity gig. Pay the money if you want to watch it IMO!!! It's about 12 quid.

Ummm, why would you want free links? It's a charity gig. Pay the money if you want to watch it IMO!!! It's about 12 quid.

Is anyone tuning into it out of interest?

Is anyone tuning into it out of interest?

Kinda half sorry i didn't purchase myself.... looks interesting. Blackened 2020 opened from the looks of it. setlist.fm also suggests a "re-imagining" of Disposable Heroes along with a cover of House of the Rising Sun and cameos by Lars' sons thus far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Looks like it was all streamed on their YouTube channel for free. Still up there too. Wasting My Hate sounded great.

• Advertisement

Interesting, nice setup to, bands and entertainment companies are becoming very creative during all of this

Advertisement