Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New thread - Help me pick a road bike

• 10-10-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Don't want to create a new thread, so if anyone could point me in the right direction for my first road bike I would be much appreciated, will be going Bike2Work scheme

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alas putting it in the bargain alerst thread won't get much traction. Moved to its own thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's quite an open-ended question.
    what sort of riding do you intend to do?
    and does your employer have any restrictions on the bike shops you can purchase from?

Don't want to create a new thread, so if anyone could point me in the right direction for my first road bike I would be much appreciated, will be going Bike2Work scheme

Thanks

You will need to give more info. What distance will you be covering? where will you be locking it up? do you need to include locks? do you have cycling clothing or is the commute short enough that it is not an issue? Do you think it will lead to more leisure cycling or will you be commute only. Are you in a hilly or flat part of Ireland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

You will need to give more info.

What distance will you be covering?
    About 5km each way

where will you be locking it up?
    In a gated and locked car park to a bike stand mounted to a wall at work. And in my apartment building underground car park

do you need to include locks?
    Yes

do you have cycling clothing or is the commute short enough that it is not an issue?
    I do not have cycling clothes, but distance will not require them

Do you think it will lead to more leisure cycling or will you be commute only?
    Most likely lead to more cycling

Are you in a hilly or flat part of Ireland - Dublin 4/6/City Centre

does your employer have any restrictions on the bike shops you can purchase from?
    Yes but most of the major ones are available, about 70 or so in Dublin area

I have seen a few I like the look of. I want to get something good that will last and is upgrade-able

Vitus Zenim Carbon Disc
    Merida Scultura Disc 200
    Trican RC 520
    Saracen Hack 01
    Specializes Allez Sport

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/207635-11-best-ps500-ps750-road-bikes

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217215-15-best-2019-road-bikes-under-ps1000-top-choices-cycle-work-scheme

I will be honest I don't know much about bikes though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

What's your budget? Any extra apart from the BTW scheme??

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    What's your budget? Any extra apart from the BTW scheme??

Maybe €300

I like the Vitus and the triban, but both are not from shops in Dublin, one is CRC and the other Decathlon. Does your employer allow you order from either?

CramCycle wrote: »
    I like the Vitus and the triban, but both are not from shops in Dublin, one is CRC and the other Decathlon. Does your employer allow you order from either?

Unfortunately not, so I need to find something suitable in Dublin ideally.

What would anyone recommend that would be similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

Best thing to do it pop into the local shop or a few of them and see what they have.
    Best bet imo would be a Tiagra groupset. I don't the you need anything more than that. Perfect for your intended use
    Not sure what others would think but for the money you're talking about I'd be inclined to stay away from a carbon frame. A) you don't need it B) probably wouldn't be great quality at your price point. Better bang for buck with alu frame.
    But do pop into shop(s) and see what they say 😉

• ^ Yeah I think the consensus would be alu over carbon at that price.

If I recall the new Tiagra groups sets have been updated with hydraulic discs now, not sure if thats made it's way on to any of the 2020 bikes can't afford to look :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

Hey all, need some advice.

Am going to be cycling to and from work, approx 7k each way. Will have a toddler on a seat on the back that I'll be dropping into creche in the mornings.

Having a look around, I think the Trek Fx 3 at e779 might be a good option. Doing it on the bike to work scheme.

Thoughts? It is a decent bike?

Cube Attain or Cross Race, I would choose the latter. Cyclesuperstore have it in stock.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cube Attain or Cross Race, I would choose the latter. Cyclesuperstore have it in stock.

Are those cube bikes good for a beginner? The attain pro looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

tigger123 wrote: »
    Hey all, need some advice.

Am going to be cycling to and from work, approx 7k each way. Will have a toddler on a seat on the back that I'll be dropping into creche in the mornings.

Having a look around, I think the Trek Fx 3 at e779 might be a good option. Doing it on the bike to work scheme.

Thoughts? It is a decent bike?

My wife has the Trek FX3 Disc and finds it really good. She got it on the B2W through Joe Daly Cycles who I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

You can try the Specialized Allez in the shop in Citywest.

nak wrote: »
    You can try the Specialized Allez in the shop in Citywest.

Thanks all, I went and tried the cube attain pro 2020. Got a god price and bundle of gear.

First bike in about 15 years, looking forward to it

Advertisement