Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rsa supporting e-scooters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very impressive...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Fully agree re. the RSA's intentions - it is currently a sham of a body with a vulnerable victim blaming bias..... look up their 'driveway safety' clip.....adults should hold the hands of children 8 years and younger in a driveway .:(:(:(
    The driveway clip is fairly bizarre all right, but the letter referred to the other day about e-scooters was from the CEO of the RSA and she said in it that she isn't recommending the use of PPE being made mandatory. I don't see what more they can do.. If anything, it's the gardai who seem to be raising objections generally.

Been watching them a bit more lately and I think because of the lack of regulation, you are finding them on footpaths and roads, and switching regularly from one to the other. So, I think some certainty around that is needed urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tomasrojo wrote: »

Yeah, the headlights are good, which makes it all the more curious that I haven't seen a scooter with a decent rear light, even taking into account that positioning would be low by necessity. Just something bright and red would be a help.

The absence of the kind of eye catching biomotion you get with pedaling would really discourage me from using one in low light without any secondary light on my person too.

plodder wrote: »
    ... I think because of the lack of regulation, you are finding them on footpaths and roads, and switching regularly from one to the other. So, I think some certainty around that is needed urgently.

Maybe it's the abysmal infrastructure.

Look cycle path from 3 arena to customs House.
    That's the best they can do with 30ft wide pavement.
    It's all over the place.

On the road, off the road, on the pavement off the pavement, one lane, two lanes, Contra flow, lights no lights and disappears entirely in some sections, bottle necks and pinch points. Every now and then for no obvious reason, a few car parking spots. Even lampposts in the middle of it. A confused mess.

No legislation in the world can fix that amount of disfunction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It may be heresy to say it, but I don't think land use planning in the Dublin region was all that bad historically. If anything, the belief that Dublin is an enormous sprawl has hindered the development of good public transport more than helped it. Every development from DART to Luas and now Metrolink was opposed by some serious commentators who said/say we don't have the population density to support it.
    I'm all in favour of public transport but we don't have enough of it and in the places it's needed. Allowing it to sprawl does reduce the density substantially and limit the options. For most areas that is the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

beauf wrote: »

It's all over the place.

On the road, off the road, on the pavement off the pavement, one lane, two lanes, Contra flow, lights no lights and disappears entirely in some sections, bottle necks and pinch points. Every now and then for no obvious reason, a few car parking spots. Even lampposts in the middle of it. A confused mess.

I'm not sure what your point is. We don't need to legislate for them? And they remain illegal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i didn't get that from what he was saying. i got 'legislation on its own is not enough'.

I'm not sure what your point is. We don't need to legislate for them? And they remain illegal?

They'll still be driving all over the place for the reasons above.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

A brilliant example of good road utilisation, just look at how many scooters can use the road compared to just the two people in the cars going nowhere fast...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

beauf wrote: »

It's all over the place.

This 100%. The infrastructure in Dublin for cycling and driving is abysmal. Even in the new areas they prioritise the car too much and it’s mayhem for cyclists.

Here is the Netherlands the bike paths are shared between scooters and bikes. It works grand because the infrastructure is great. On scooter under 50cc or the equivalent power for electric, there is no law requiring helmets.

The bike paths get right of way at every junction without traffic lights. Roundabouts are a dream here, bike path has right of way every time. In Dublin I felt like I was taking my life into my hands approaching any roundabout in traffic.

I have seen one collision between a car and a scooter in the year I’ve lived here and it was 100% the car ignoring a yield. It felt like I had a near miss a week in Ireland, I had 3 near misses once between Blessington and Celbridge. I’ve had one near miss here and it wasn’t that near, a van saw me a bit late at a roundabout and I was doing nearly 50 with a savage tailwind.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

What do you guys reckon is the chance of them getting legalized here? Ive seen the media is starting their anti Escooter campaign already. Im expecting them to remain illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    What do you guys reckon is the chance of them getting legalized here? Ive seen the media is starting their anti Escooter campaign already. Im expecting them to remain illegal.

hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I've been riding my Scooter for about 2 weeks at this point.

My only real commute is from the IFSC over Beckett Bridge, through grand canal and up the canal to Harcourt street. I'm on bicycle paths 80% of the way and I just adjust my speed to stay in the cyclist flow.

What I've noticed is that the short period I am on the road (between Grand canal dock bridge, past Google until back on the cyclist path at the canal) is that Taxi drivers go out of their way to be assholes, they speed up behind you, constantly honk for no reason even though you are far left of the road and generally will do everything to make you feel uncomfortable.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Every cyclist in Dublin,

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I saw a guy on an electric scooter towing another guy on a skateboard the other day.

Car pooling with the scooter. Sort of. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I have my eye on one of these when they are properly legalized. I've been waiting for this. Seriously handy to have one of these, I can scoot to work and leave the effing car at home. F all traffic, it will be great stuff ! I was in Paris there in June and these things are everywhere.

Has there been any attacks on people with these ? Young lads pushing people off them and robbing them ? What sort of security do these things have if something like this happens ? I know common sense will prevail, there are going to be roads you probably wont be scooting down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lifting e-scooter ban is safety risk, ministers warned
    Allowing electric scooters on Irish roads could cause “major issues” because of their tiny wheels and speeds of up to 80km/h, a senior transport official has said.
    He also raised the possibility of a rise in personal injury claims if e-scooters were allowed and said that Ireland should not copy jurisdictions with different “culture, legal and driver behaviours”.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/lifting-e-scooter-ban-is-safety-risk-ministers-warned-d3nl8vrcs

speeds of up to 80km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lifting e-scooter ban is safety risk, ministers warned
    Allowing electric scooters on Irish roads could cause “major issues” because of their tiny wheels and speeds of up to 80km/h, a senior transport official has said.
    He also raised the possibility of a rise in personal injury claims if e-scooters were allowed and said that Ireland should not copy jurisdictions with different “culture, legal and driver behaviours”.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/lifting-e-scooter-ban-is-safety-risk-ministers-warned-d3nl8vrcs

speeds of up to 80km/h?
    It must have been a phone interview and they mistook the soft Irish 18 /eit(s)i:n/ for 80!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

speeds of up to 80km/h?
    yep, and they do not all look like crazy souped up yokes either
    https://www.zawione-group.de/elektroscooter/forca-evoking-3-7-vgt-rs-iii-1800-watt-highpower-edition/a-5002651

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weebot-Dualtron-Ultra-Electric-Scooter/dp/B07N2QZ1NS

some do look quite different, the gardai seized one with a seat which was likely quite powerful.

think there are faster than 80km/h too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've often wondered what happens, if you hit a pot hole or have to jam on the brakes on an Escooter, while travelling at 25/30kph.

rubadub wrote: »
    2700W is bananas. That's nearly 11 the limit for e-bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've often wondered what happens, if you hit a pot hole or have to jam on the brakes on an Escooter, while travelling at 25/30kph.

I seen a guy going slow on the pavement on Hawkins Street last week. He hit a hole or uneven patch and the front wheel stopped. He went out the side door so to speak. If he was going faster he was over the steerer.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I seen a guy going slow on the pavement on Hawkins Street last week. He hit a hole or uneven patch and the front wheel stopped. He went out the side door so to speak. If he was going faster he was over the steerer.
    Based on my kids' scooters, yeah, the smaller the wheel and the higher the centre of gravity, the more likely you are to be pitched forward by even a small obstacle.

But motorised scooters don't have wheels as small as a child's scooter. I think 20km/h would be an ok top speed for them.

i think it was on twitter that i saw a comment that this fuss about e-scooters is like the fuss in the states about vaping. they're reportedly considering banning vaping, with an unproven record of health effects, rather than cigarettes; and if the safety issues over e-scooters are enough for calls to ban them, why aren't we banning cars?

Interesting, non-health-related side issue with vaping ban being endorsed by Trump: it might cost him voters in some key swing states. Not sure if anyone has good numbers on this,but, as others pointed out (before the Ukraine memo) it would be a strange turn of events if vaping voters brought him down, instead of a reckoning for his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Based on my kids' scooters, yeah, the smaller the wheel and the higher the centre of gravity, the more likely you are to be pitched forward by even a small obstacle.

But motorised scooters don't have wheels as small as a child's scooter. I think 20km/h would be an ok top speed for them.

It was an odd incident. I was on the LUAS, thinking to myself; what an lazy idiot you are. If you are e-scooting at a fast walking pace on a pavement. With people on it, why not walk? I must have put a curse on him as almost immediately , the front wheel just stopped and he nearly fell. After that, he walked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Maybe he was only going walking pace on the sections with people walking? I've used them in the past and tried pushing them in places, you end up with cut ankles as any slight forward resistance causes the back wheel to lift and the whole thing pivots.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I have an instinctive dislike of people getting about on wheels where there are plenty of pedestrians.

I'm fine when there are next to no pedestrians around and sight lines are good and you go at a walking pace, but otherwise, better not.

Advertisement