Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst takeaway meal you've ever eaten?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I wouldn't say it was terrible or vomit inducing, but after all the hype I heard about them I got a Boojum once and found it the most underwhelming experience of my life.

Food wise anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I've to be honest. It's very rare I've come across an all round terrible chipper.

Most have their strengths and weaknesses. The one whos chips are the best in Dublin might do a fairly average quarter pounder. The lad who does great chicken might make a sub par garlic cheese chips. Chipper A might have the best fish and chips but does a very average curry sauce (although with great chips you don't really need a dip).

I'd hate to come across a chipper that does frozen chips, burnt burger buns and dry chicken :pac:

The only thing I eat from a chipper is fish and chips, Beshoffs is the best, chips is another interesting one how can one chipper have better chips than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

We moved to a new house in a new town. The first night in, tired from the move, cleaning etc we ordered a Chinese. I asked for a chicken and mushroom with fried rice.

That's exactly what I got. A tray containing pieces of chicken and some mushrooms, absolutely nothing else. No sign of a pepper or an onion, not even a sauce.

Good name for the business though. It was called Soon Fatt. Didn't get too fat that night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

mariaalice wrote: »
    chips is another interesting one how can one chipper have better chips than another.

I've no idea of the science but my guess is

a- less time chilled/ shortest time from peel to cooking

b- places that change their oil religiously after X amount of uses

tbf it's rare to actually get "bad" chips from a chipper, just more ones that aren't quite as great as your favourite place.

Perhaps also some places buy a cheaper grade of spud?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I've to be honest. It's very rare I've come across an all round terrible chipper.

Most have their strengths and weaknesses. The one whos chips are the best in Dublin might do a fairly average quarter pounder. The lad who does great chicken might make a sub par garlic cheese chips. Chipper A might have the best fish and chips but does a very average curry sauce (although with great chips you don't really need a dip).

I'd hate to come across a chipper that does frozen chips, burnt burger buns and dry chicken :pac:

I give you Blue Thunder in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

One thing I find hard to eat now is the traditional generic chinese takeaway. It's not awful or inedible or anything, but it's just so....bland and drowning in syrupy sauce/grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

We moved to a new house in a new town. The first night in, tired from the move, cleaning etc we ordered a Chinese. I asked for a chicken and mushroom with fried rice.

That's exactly what I got. A tray containing pieces of chicken and some mushrooms, absolutely nothing else. No sign of a pepper or an onion, not even a sauce.

Good name for the business though. It was called Soon Fatt. Didn't get too fat that night though.

Monasterevan?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Homelander wrote: »
    One thing I find hard to eat now is the traditional generic chinese takeaway. It's not awful or inedible or anything, but it's just so....bland and drowning in syrupy sauce/grease.

Same. And it's very easy to create nice Chinese food at home using a few simple ingredients.
    Once you have the right sauces, it's not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Bray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Monasterevan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

Chernobyl Joes chipper van, near the Hurlers, Castletroy in the 1990’s. Notorious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Soon Fatt. I love it.

The Indian/kebab/chipper near me is called Fat Belly.

Maybe in Asia, there is a certain attraction to being well fed, but the marketing just doesn't translate to over here, does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Got orange duck from a chinese a while back. Completely inedible and i was starving. I even tried washing the sauce off the duck. I felt ashamed.

Got orange duck from a chinese a while back. Completely inedible and i was starving. I even tried washing the sauce off the duck. I felt ashamed.

You really shouldn't be ashamed of things like that.

All you did was try to make it more edible. I would have done the same in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You really shouldn't be ashamed of things like that.

All you did was try to make it more edible. I would have done the same in your situation.

I washed it by bringing it into the shower with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Yurt! wrote: »
    Dominos is sh*te. It's shocking expensive as well.

Aussies and yanks I've met find the cost of dominos in Ireland absolutely hilarious. It's the cheap muck of takeaway in most other places that competes on low cost, yet over here it's charged like some kind of premium product.

Probably explains why their shop in Tallaght is one of their most profitable in the world.

Cheating with this one, but walking back to the hotel one Sunday morning in while on holliers and we just missed McDonald's. Fella told us there was a load of vending machines around the corner. We walked past and they had rustlers style microwaveable burgers. You press a button and 3 mins later a burger pops out. The beef one was rank, the chicken one was actually edible.

However, a €3 microwaved donor kebab from a vending machine in Albufeira at 5.30am sounds exactly as bad as it tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Mushrooms on a burger? .......... By god i'm actually shaking with anger. Anger and disgust. And a small bit of curiosity that sickens me.

Seriously though that's actually perverse.

They put beetroot and pineapple on the 'aussie burger' in Australia. I refused to try it which was a bit stupid of me considering I like pineapple on a pizza!

Oh well then you should be ashamed lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

jay0109 wrote: »
    They put beetroot and pineapple on the 'aussie burger' in Australia.

Withdraw this blasphemy at once. At once I say!

D'only ting that should be on a burger is red sauce. Not ketchup. Specifically red sauce. Its very similar to ketchup but with no natural ingredients whatsoever and a shelf life of approximately 2000 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Aussies and yanks I've met find the cost of dominos in Ireland absolutely hilarious. It's the cheap muck of takeaway in most other places that competes on low cost, yet over here it's charged like some kind of premium product.

Probably explains why their shop in Tallaght is one of their most profitable in the world.

Absolute fact. It's the cheapest of the cheap here in New Zealand, the Kiwis won't even look at it for the most part, it's the pizza of the budget conscious here. Pizza from the 'value range' is $5 (€3).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

D'only ting that should be on a burger is red sauce. Not ketchup. Specifically red sauce. Its very similar to ketchup but with no natural ingredients whatsoever and a shelf life of approximately 2000 years.

Chef Red Sauce only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I once gave some pork ribs a bubble bath

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yurt! wrote: »
    On the other side of the coin, there's an Indian take-away at the top of Smithfield square near the Cobblestone pub that looks like it should be shut down on sight by health inspectors. Mind-blowingly good curry though - best I've had in Ireland.

That Indian in Smithfield was shut down for a couple of days by the FSAI a few years back. Not sure if it is still there but at the time everyone was shocked as it put out some great food.

As for KFCs here, they always appear very badly run. Ive passed the one in Blanch and there is actual smells of filthy oil coming from their ventilation systems and stinking up the whole area around it. Also their chip portions must be the smallest of anywhere, I once counted 16 chips in their tiny bags which is a joke. KFCs in the UK seem to be a lot busier than here and generally better run.

I dont think theres any chain takeaway in Ireland doing really great fried chicken. Supermacs and Italian chippers are often very greasy. Mad Egg near the opposite the Bleeding Horse on Camden St do great fried chicken but theyve only the one location in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Apache is absolute crap the one near me used to be a Chinese and an Apache rolled into one the Chinese was just your bog standard Chinese but the pizza was absolute crap.

Also my local chipper changed to a Romayo's a couple of years ago had it once and let us say I will not be returning. Which is a pity as it was a relatively decent chipper when it was an independent Italian chipper. Notice a lot of Italian chippers have been replaced by chains like Romayo's and San Marino in recent years.

KFC in Ireland is manky. Expensive with piss-poor portions to boot.

Never thought I'd say it but the quality of KFC in America is far superior.

Not even while full up with drink would I darken their door again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What about catsup?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ennis Top Pizza
    Got it last week cause it was kinda nice the last time I ordered from there

Ordered a couple of pizzas, both were burnt, chips were stale, garlic bread tasted only of grease. Delivery driver forgot the drinks

Not recommended and not even cheap to make up for the disappointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

Chicken Hut is absolutely manky. Had it once from clanbrassil Street. They have a few branches around the country and by all accounts their shop in Mullingar is notoriously bad.

Advertisement