Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you collect anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KungPao wrote: »
    Gary Glitter albums and Jimmy Savile memorabilia. Not so popular now, but I’m going long. Buy low, sell high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

UI_Paddy wrote: »
    I like collecting Blu-Rays, mainly of movies, series and anime I love.

Also collect CDs or books the odd time if it's an artist I love or something I really want to read, only have three vinyl records (two are singles, one is a greatest hits) but wouldn't be opposed to collecting more in future.

Tower Records? They used to be on Wicklow street, but have sinced moved to Dawson street opposite Hodges Figgis.

Tower Records, that's the one. They had their dvds in the basement level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Coins, or at least I used to anyway. I haven't bought any recently but I've a decent collection of silver dollars which have some value.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Started off with used call cards back in primary school. Then keyrings, but had to buy them so stopped at about 200. Had a huge selection of beer mats aswell, nicest one was probably fosters in the shape of Australia. Still have everything up in the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

My partner collects mugs from the various countries she's visited.

Its always struck me a slightly odd thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Collecting books and reading books are two completely separate and unrelated hobbies, I enjoy both. I have two sets of Gibbon's Decline and Fall which I keep next to my collection of Faberge eggs just under the State Jewels of Ireland.

ShyMets wrote: »

Plates were another thing very popular about 30 or 40 years ago and people would mount them on their wall- at least with mugs you can use them but random plates?
    They went for good money at the time to collectors but I’d say that market had long dived. Or am I wrong?

I collect Waterford crystal-amazing what you can buy cheaply second hand now compared to years ago although there’s a lot of dreamers out there selling their mammys collection at old retail prices- not a chance guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

chiropractic Monthly Magazines........I have loads of back issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Plates were another thing very popular about 30 or 40 years ago and people would mount them on their wall- at least with mugs you can use them but random plates?
    D

It reminds me of visiting my Aunts house in the 80's. She had about dozen plates from popular tourist destinations mounted on the wall of the 'good room'.

We were only allowed in under supervision and even then we weren't allowed with 5 feet of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They went for good money at the time to collectors but I’d say that market had long dived. Or am I wrong?
    It was very popular among what became an older generation. Since they've started to leave us so has that market I reckon. The young or middle aged aren't into that sorta thing for the most part.
    I collect Waterford crystal-amazing what you can buy cheaply second hand now compared to years ago although there’s a lot of dreamers out there selling their mammys collection at old retail prices- not a chance guys :D
    That stuff used to be everywhere and very well liked across many parts of the world and it died a death too. It seems to still popular as a niche in the US.
    kowloon wrote: »
    Collecting books and reading books are two completely separate and unrelated hobbies, I enjoy both. I have two sets of Gibbon's Decline and Fall which I keep next to my collection of Faberge eggs just under the State Jewels of Ireland.
    The joke is Gibbon's Decline and Fall actual first editions aren't generally that expensive as far as rare books go. OK you're talking around 15-20k but a first edition Harry Potter can be worth more as a single book. Faberge eggs on the other hand... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Does the Guinness book of records count ? If they do then yes as I’ve every issue from 1998 to 2021(and plan to continue as long they print them). I have the 1985(it’s in poor enough condition though) and 1965 editions.

If not then no I don’t collect anything.

Wibbs wrote: »

That stuff used to be everywhere and very well liked across many parts of the world and it died a death too. It seems to still popular as a niche in the US.

.. :D

UK eBay had some great bargains a few years ago- US eBay were ridiculous shipping charges and of course potential import duties. Adverts has provided some good deals especially house clearances by relatives with no interest in the stuff.
    Things like 6 large John Rocha wine glasses (the older versions made in Ireland) still in their hat boxes never used going for 40 euro for the 6 or large very usable flower vases that would have been Uber expensive 40 years ago going for a 10 er were just some of the decent bargains I picked up- I could sell my collection for profit tomorrow and in the meantime I’m getting great use out of it all - but there’s too many dreamers thinking Waterford crystal items have significant value- they don’t. Buy cheap and use the items is my motto- you get great enjoyment from drinking a good single malt from a good Waterford crystal tumbler and small water jug beside it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Royal Doulton figurines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I collect football jerseys, I usually get them cheap in sales, I'd never pay €80 for one. I don't buy them as much now as I used to. Some older ones I have are classics and new are about €200.

Same thing here. It initially started out as me just liking to wear them as they are comfortable but I never had many when I was a kid as they were too expensive. It really took off when I started working and would just buy them on impulse. Since I hit my late 20s I started looking for old ones from the early 1990s and now have a few old Liverpool and Ireland shirts in good condition that would be rare and worth a few quid.

I still have a bit of an addiction to buying current shirts I like (more rugby these days) but I generally end up wearing them once or twice and they end up hanging in the wardrobe for months on end never looked at. I'll probably end up selling anything that's in reasonable nick in a few years. I probably have around 80 now between rugby, soccer and GAA.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Absolutely brilliant - I loved the stylophone reference- not many around here would have instantly copped that :D

Royal Doulton figurines

Again probably another dying hobby - Hummel is a respected brand with a certain following and second hand lladro fetch good money too depending on the figurine - I have about a dozen Hummel, mostly quite rare I believe all from older relatives now long gone but can’t help thinking one day they will be worthless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Absolutely brilliant - I loved the stylophone reference- not many around here would have instantly copped that :D

Rolf Harris?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pokemon cards, rare vintage toys, modern collectables

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ROFL!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Baseball caps from warships. Which, now I think of it is a little odd. But it just happened, I’d pick one up every time I visited one, from Eithne to Theodore Roosevelt.

Scale model kits. I keep telling myself I’ll build them all, I suspect my widow will be left with a whole pile of boxes in the closet she won’t know what to do with.

Firearms. Not a massive collection, but certainly more than I need and more than most. I’m sure I’ll continue to buy more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

These days I'm mostly collecting dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Chainsaws, would have about a dozen at the moment.
    Mostly Sachs Dolmar and Solo, two older German makes, but a recently picked up a 1970's Echo and a few older Husqvarna. One is a saw my dad bought new in 1984, a Husky 61, and still considered one of their classic saws.
    As well as two or three newer Stihl that get used.
    I read a lot of crime fiction, and tend to collect all the books in a series if I really like them.
    Collect ( or at least, throw into drawer) commerative €2 coins.
    YflYkCj.jpg
    uVgiSIL.jpg
    8n7wqTr.jpg
    h2x40OD.jpg
    ha2EQzN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Chainsaws bejasus!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Limited edition books & prints signed by the likes of Bowie, George Best, Bobby Charlton, George Harrison, Ronnie Wood
    Precious metals
    Sports memorabilia (football programmes, a few cricket awards). I own a few football World Cup Winners medals going back to the first one in 1930 which are currently on display in the National Football Museum in Manchester. I've also got an FA Cup Winners medal from the 1940s, a Football League Championship medal from the 1950s, a second division winners medal from the 1930s, a European Super Cup winners medal from the 1990s and a European Cup winners medal from the 1960s

What do you collect?

Personalities :p

Vinyl for me. Have close to 2,000 in the collection now.

I don't collect anything now but when I was a child I was big in to porcelain dolls. They are still at home in a lovely cabinet my dad bought for them. One is a bride and she's stuck under daddy's bed in her box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Chainsaws bejasus!

Hes from Texas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

ShyMets wrote: »

Someone I know collects spoons from every country they have been to. They have them all framed and mounted on the wall (s) !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Feisar wrote: »
    Knives, it’s a lot nerdier than one would think.

Nothing wrong with collecting knifes! Ive a few too

Ive a few spydercos, benchmades and ofcourse a few swiss army knifes.
    With the exception of the latter, none have ever really "been used" bar the odd opening of a box to prove "yup, its a knife"

I also collect lego and have a few watches.

Advertisement