Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microgeneration 6kwh limit

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

graememk wrote: »
    So I currently have 20 longi 360w. On a dual string solis 6kw inverter.

Could that be pushed to 24 or even 28 panels?
    12 or 14 on each string?

It's on low angle roof (walkable), split 50:50 north east/south west.

You can push it to 24 panels - 12 per string, but no more than that. Open circuit voltage is 40.8.

40.8x13x1.15 is 610V. Too high.

Doing it the hard way, for that panel type, temperature coefficient is 0.27% per degree. You have to allow 45 degrees between test conditions of 25c and lowest air temperature of -20c. Tolerance on Voc is 3%.

Worst scenario at -20 degrees is 40.8 x 13panel x 1.1215 temp coeff x 1.03 tolerance = 612V

The voltage is fairly steady - it is mostly current that is affected by light intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks Quentin for (indirectly) stating that 600V is the max per MPPT string, not for the inverter as a whole. Some of us were wondering about that and it is not that obvious from the inverter's spec sheets :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You can push it to 24 panels - 12 per string, but no more than that. Open circuit voltage is 40.8.

40.8x13x1.15 is 610V. Too high.

Doing it the hard way, for that panel type, temperature coefficient is 0.27% per degree. You have to allow 45 degrees between test conditions of 25c and lowest air temperature of -20c. Tolerance on Voc is 3%.

Worst scenario at -20 degrees is 40.8 x 13panel x 1.1215 temp coeff x 1.03 tolerance = 612V

The voltage is fairly steady - it is mostly current that is affected by light intensity.

Thanks I did think 14 was too much. Will look into getting 4 more panels in total, (2 per string)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

Hi all,

I have a slightly different situation along these lines

I originally had a 3kw Solis inverter and 3kwp of panels. I replaced 3kw inverter with a 6kw hybrid so I could add a battery and some more panels 2.5kwp

I've changed the inverter and have the batteries attached and now I'm going to add the new panels. The obvious thing to do is to put the new panels as a second string on the new inverter but at the moment, the 6kw inverter can put up to 6kw into the house when it's demanded by taking 3 from the batteries and panels at the same time.

Can i add the new panels to the 3kw inverter so that on a sunny day, i can cover higher demand between the two inverters (say, the electric shower) without having to draw from the grid, but I will never put more than 6 out to the grid because I have less than 6 kwp of panels

Is there anything I need to do to have a hybrid and a non hybrid inverter connected at the same time or will they just automatically work together?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭idc

No idea if this is for real but on Irish solar Facebook group I've seen 2-3 people claim the 6kWh limit is going to be reduced. No idea if its true or if this is yet another scare tactic from some dodgy installers to push people into signing up! One mentioned may is the deadline? Anyone else heard this ?

UPDATE: thought i'd email ESBN about export limiting like mp3guy did and before i did i found this:

Micro-Generators (esbnetworks.ie)

Information note in relation to Microgeneration units which exceed the defined 25A limit

It has recently come to our attention that some Microgeneration units are being installed which have output currents in excess of the 25A limit allowable as per the ESB Networks document Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro-Generation (esbnetworks.ie)

We acknowledge that units may have been inadvertently purchased and installed based on manufacturers model references as opposed to specific data sheet information. In order to address the issue in a reasonable manner and ensure there is absolute clarity, we are now highlighting that we will continue to accept applications for units referenced as 6kW, but with an output current of up to a maximum of 28A single phase, until 31st May 2023, however from that date on any units with an output current over 25A will not be eligible for connection under the NC6 Microgeneration connection application route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭buzz11

I have 3 Solis inverters, one hybrid and two non hybrid. Solis told me that they don't communicate with each other and there is no way of doing so. In my case, I put a reduced export limit on the hybrid inverter to allow headroom for non hybrids to export and thereby not exceeding the 6kw limit

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭idc

Also reading more I expect mp3guy getting permission is unusual based on ESBN own documentation!

Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro-Generation (esbnetworks.ie)

This is literally in the foreword of that document !

Any installations with inverter capacity greater than Micro-Generation (6/11 kVA) are classified as MiniGeneration (up to 50kVA installed inverter capacity). There are no active Export Limitation Schemes available under the Micro-Generation ‘Inform and Fit’ process, as the inverter capacity itself, which shall be within the allowed Micro-Generation limits, is used to determine the export limits.

Active Export Limiting Schemes are, however, available under the Mini-Generation connection process.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

Thanks buzz, you have all three connected and the only thing you need to do was to limit the export?

Sounds like I won't have an issue then connecting the second inverter to the new panels as I described?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I wonder how many will be caught out by installer not submitting the paperwork. Mine has still not been done (went from 1.2 to 6 last year) and chasing the installer again. ESBN suggested I get the completed form from them and send it on myself!

Here's the page on that the guy gave me https://www.esbnetworks.ie/help-centre/help-faq/generator-step-by-step-guide/step-2---make-an-application

"Email the completed form to NetworkServicesBureau@esb.ie or post it to:

ESB Networks DAC

NC6 Microgen Notifications

New Connections

Sarsfield Road

Wilton

Cork

T12E 367"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭DC999

Problem is it's only 'active' from day submitted to EBS afaik. Though you could certainly argue to get it approved from the date of commission on the NC6 form. No idea if ESB accept it being backdated. I thought that was a required of the grant for installer to submit that to the SEAI portal? If so, you can ask the SEAI to provide you a copy of you can't see in the portal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,312 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Once you are not exporting more than 6kW peak ever - especially if you have a smart meter - you will never get caught on this. Strictly speaking having 3 inverters with potential export of combined greater than 6kW is breaking the rules and you should be under NC7 instead of NC6.

Reality though, if you're like a lot of folk on here with lots of storage and dump loads etc you will never export near 6kW anyway so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

If it is only one hybrid and other inverter is non hybrid the hybrid export limit will cover both. I have a 6kw hybrid and 2.5kw standard inverter.

Set the hybrid limit at 6kw and it will adjust the power it receives from its own panels down to make sure that combined power never exceeds 6kw being exported. It does this from it's CT clamp on the main esb feed.

Often would be exporting 6kw on a sunny day and if I put on a large load like kettle or washing machine the hybrid will up it's production to max available to cover it whilst maintaining 6kw export

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭silver_sky

No SEAI grant in my case. Would have been great, but house doesn't qualify for it.

Thats not happening on my system and today I was exporting 6-7 kw for a few hours and for 30 min period it was sustained export of 7 to 9kw.

The inverter settings are Set Backflow Power 6,000w - which I assume is correct? Is there anything else I should check? TIA

What size and make are both of your inverters. Is only one of them a hybrid?

I currently have a sofar hybrid and when set up with export limit it drops it's production to make sure that combined there is never more than 6kw exporting. If turn on something with large load and it is a sunny day it will ramp up production whilst maintaining max 6kw exporting and ramp down when power is not required if producing more than 6kw.

I previously had a solis 5g hybrid and it also did the same. Are both of your inverters going through the same main consumer unit?

All 3 inverters are Solis, 5G 6kW hybrid, mini 2.5Kw 4G and mini 1.5kw, no battery and export limit set as in pic below.

Where did you monitor the generation/load when you turning things on/off? via the solis cloud app?

All three go through the same consumer unit, the 6kw & 2.5kw are in the house and 2.5kw in the garage which is cabled back to the house fuse board. I can see all 3 on the app & via solis cloud website

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have you turned on the Export Power Limiting function (not just set the Power Limit to 6kW as shown in photo above)? If you have it enabled, your status on the home screen should say LmtByEPM.

I'd also enable the failsafe option (shut down hybrid inverter if it loses the grid CT) to ensure that export never exceeds 6kW.

Yes the export limiting was/is set to ON, and I've just turned on the failsafe option.

I'm not seeing the Current Status like yours, my version is;

Inverter Version 330026-000000 Model F6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The Current status only shows Limit by EPM when its limiting by EPM.

Does the backflow power setting go negative? If you set it at 0 and work from there.

Monitored mine via home assistant which updates every ten seconds and also via myenergi

• Advertisement
Advertisement