Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Consultation on a Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS) in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

ok cool, My assessor is the Vice Secretary of BER Assessors. But it could be because my array size is only 2.4Kwp for an 80sq meter house. The lack of engagement is what annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

phester28 wrote: »
    Solar does not have a huge impact on your BER. In fact unless you can see the DEAP values (which the assessor wont give you) you dont know what (and to what magnitude), in their opinion is causing you to loose heat per each element of the house.

It's a fairly basic calculation that takes into account the orientation, angle and any shading. So 2.4kWh would be, at best, just over 2000 kWh of delivered energy. The BER is ultimately kWh per m2 so floor area of house will have a say in how big a contribution the PV makes to the BER. Not a BER assessor by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's a fairly basic calculation that takes into account the orientation, angle and any shading. So 2.4kWh would be, at best, just over 2000 kWh of delivered energy. The BER is ultimately kWh per m2 so floor area of house will have a say in how big a contribution the PV makes to the BER. Not a BER assessor by the way.

This is essentially it but you get double the credit for the kWh you generate from PV because you don't incur transmission loss from a power station miles away through many transformers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

C1 to B1 here.

Should have finished that out.

So it's 2062 delivered energy(best case) which is 4289 kWh primary energy which is what the BER is defined by. If you have a 100m2 house, the PV contribution is 42.89 kWh/m2/ur.
    If it's a 200m2 house, the 2.4kW installation contributes 21.44 kWh/m2/yr.

That's how it plays out in DEAP....so it's simplistic to say it has a big impact or a small impact. The devil is in the detail.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Let's say for simplicity sake you exported zero. And let's say as an investment you added another 4kwp array, then you'd export all of the production of that extra array, again for simplicity sake. That is about 4,000kWh in Dublin south facing. Let's say the fit is 9c. This will make you €360 per year

4kwp is about 11 current panels of 360W. Let's say you can get these at about €115 incl VAT each, let's say you buy an inverter for €350 and materials for €200, and DIY this job. Total cost €1815

Or a pay back period of just 5 years

That's a superb investment in my book

Do you think it's realistically going to be 9c?

I think that was the level of EI's microgen pilot but I can't see it being that high. 7c max is where I think it might fall

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Do you think it's realistically going to be 9c?

I think that was the level of EI's microgen pilot but I can't see it being that high. 7c max is where I think it might fall

Before the announcement I reckoned it was going to be about 5c, or whatever the wholesale rate was

But as KCross explained, there will be a base payment (of something like that), but there will also be a premium paid on top of this. Nobody knows how much these will be, but I'd say 9c in total is as good a guess as anyone's. When the real figures come out, we can adjust above calculation

Personally, I will likely increase my solar PV to avail of the FIT. Both as an investment but also as "the right thing to do" - my personal contribution to fight climate change and move to renewables

Before the announcement I reckoned it was going to be about 5c, or whatever the wholesale rate was

But as KCross explained, there will be a base payment (of something like that), but there will also be a premium paid on top of this. Nobody knows how much these will be, but I'd say 9c in total is as good a guess as anyone's. When the real figures come out, we can adjust above calculation

Personally, I will likely increase my solar PV to avail of the FIT. Both as an investment but also as "the right thing to do" - my personal contribution to fight climate change

Sorry, had sorta skimmed through the thread a bit. Not questioning you....questioning my own thinking to see what I missed

Should have finished that out.

So it's 2062 delivered energy(best case) which is 4289 kWh primary energy which is what the BER is defined by. If you have a 100m2 house, the PV contribution is 42.89 kWh/m2/ur.
    If it's a 200m2 house, the 2.4kW installation contributes 21.44 kWh/m2/yr.

That's how it plays out in DEAP....so it's simplistic to say it has a big impact or a small impact. The devil is in the detail.

So I got 2.4Kwp east west

BER values were 196.57 kWh/m²/yr back in 2013 and 153.36 kWh/m²/yr now

So looks like he just amended the solar section (correctly). I just wish I new what elements to tackle to get the next 3kwh/m2/yr down

phester28 wrote: »
    So looks like he just amended the solar section (correctly). I just wish I new what elements to tackle to get the next 3kwh/m2/yr down

Close any open fireplaces permanently or with stoves. Replace bulbs with LEDs. Insulation as always, cavity pump etc... New boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

4kwp is about 11 current panels of 360W. Let's say you can get these at about €115 incl VAT each, let's say you buy an inverter for €350 and materials for €200, and DIY this job. Total cost €1815

Or a pay back period of just 5 years

That's a superb investment in my book

"Materials" here I'm assuming covers roof hooks, stainless fixing screws, panel rails & joiners, panel clips, cable entry flashing, DC surge protection, RCBO, DC cable, DC isolator, AC isolator, trunking, AC cable, glands, sealants?
    A tad optimistic with €200 I think

Of course it's optimistic. Did you miss that the spirit of my post is a low budget scenario? Not for someone lazy who just clicks "buy it now" on the first website they came across? Instead for someone who does a bit of research, does a bit of negotiation? But yeah, even after that the €200 is still a tad optimistic, I grant you that.. Mind, I bought my brand new Solis 3.6kW dual MPPT inverter for GBP220 shipped. So you could save €100 there to spend on the materials, so then we are talking €300 ;)

I accept that, but no point giving people totally unrealistic expectations either.
    I scrimped and saved on my own install and got some great deals but still went over those kind of figures. At retail prices it would be multiples of that.
    Plus you also need to allow for a REC to connect and certify your inverter and no doubt €340 for the export meter:eek:

air wrote: »
    I accept that, but no point giving people totally unrealistic expectations either.
    I scrimped and saved on my own install and got some great deals but still went over those kind of figures.

Don't beat yourself up. I really do not want to come over as arrogant, but I am very good and / or lucky at getting the best possible prices. I missed my calling :( Have a look at my thread about buying my car in the EV forum
    you also need to allow for a REC to connect and certify your inverter

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough before. I am poor, or mediocre at best, at DIY. Not a chance I would have a go at connecting my systems to the grid myself! A REC connected my PV system to the grid. Another REC connected my battery inverter system to the grid.
    no doubt €340 for the export meter:eek:

Are you joking? All houses in Ireland will get a smart meter for free over the next while.

Don't beat yourself up. I really do not want to come over as arrogant, but I am very good and / or lucky at getting the best possible prices. I missed my calling :( Have a look at my thread about buying my car in the EV forum
    Don't worry, I'm well able to find a good deal myself. Your car dealing has no relevance here.
    I'd love to see your detail on how you mounted and installed 4kW of panels for 200 quid
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough before. I am poor, or mediocre at best, at DIY. Not a chance I would have a go at connecting my systems to the grid myself! A REC connected my PV system to the grid. Another REC connected my battery inverter system to the grid.
    Then you need to allow for even more labour costs for installation.
    Are you joking? All houses in Ireland will get a smart meter for free over the next while.
    That was the requirement for the previous microgeneration scheme, nothing would surprise me in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Smart meter shows the export from my understanding at least someone posted how to get this detail up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Smart meter shows the export from my understanding at least someone posted how to get this detail up

Well they mentioned in the paper that it's contingent on having smart meters installed, so that seems to indicate the smart meter is capable of measuring export

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

mp3guy wrote: »
    Close any open fireplaces permanently or with stoves. Replace bulbs with LEDs. Insulation as always, cavity pump etc... New boiler.

All done long ago. Fire place, LED bulbs. Internal insulation as walls are solid. Argon filled double glazed. extension and floors through original house are passive standard. 300mm of aeroboard. With a thermally broken slab that floats from the walls. Attic is a bit tough to do properly as its a small space. But Ive raised the rafters and have 4" of fiberglass.

Boiler and heating upgrades complete. There is nothing else I can do except external insulation which would cost over 10K and pay back a fraction of that over the next 10-20 years.

And yes the smart meters that are being rolled out (for free) do show when your exporting but I remember if they totalise it yet. But that would be a software modification. I posted the instructions I got a while back on the meter fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Don't beat yourself up. I really do not want to come over as arrogant ....

You may not want to but it does occur like that, not just in this thread but right across boards which is surprising for a CMod.
    It could be construed as being all about how better you are than the rest of the folk here as we try improve our lot and share out expertise with others, without focussing on the "I". The "I" is redundant in modern relations and relationships

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

You may not want to but it does occur like that, not just in this thread but right across boards which is surprising for a CMod.
    It could be construed as being all about how better you are than the rest of the folk here as we try improve our lot and share out expertise with others, without focusing on the "I". The "I" is redundant in modern relations and relationships

Thanks for calling this as its starting to look like a pissing contest as to WHO knows more.
    I personally have found this forum very helpful but one up man ship and who can piss higher is getting annoying.

• Advertisement

So any chance we can get this thread back on topic? :)

Out of curiosity, has anyone responded to the consultation?

I made the point regarding maximum export being difficult to stay under when you have a high consumer house and said the amount should be raised and tied to a diminishing CEP. The more you export, the less of a return you get, until you're back to the market rate, basic supply and demand

I also asked that energy storage like batteries and EVs with V2G capability be considered as a renewable energy source

I also asked that energy storage like batteries and EVs with V2G capability be considered as a renewable energy source

How do you justify this? What if you charge them up off a grid burning gas or coal? Unless you're suggesting people sell energy from their car battery after regen breaking it down a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Is it likely that the 6Kw micro-gen limit will be increased?

mp3guy wrote: »
    How do you justify this? What if you charge them up off a grid burning gas or coal? Unless you're suggesting people sell energy from their car battery after regen breaking it down a mountain.

It's justified because it'd never make financial sense to charge a battery from fossil fuel and sell it back.

When demand is low then gas power stations are throttled to prevent them providing too much energy, so the concept of gas power being cheap doesn't exist. You can't buy 'cheap' gas power at one time and sell it back when energy is more expensive

With wind and solar it makes sense because you can take power off the gridd when there's an oversupply (and by extension, cheap) and sell it back to the grid when demand is higher for a profit.

And, since you're displacing energy which would be supplied by a gas power plant, you're saving some carbon emissions overall

buzz11 wrote: »

Probably not, but if people keep asking then ESB will have to provide some justifications

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

genuine question, and apologies if this has already been answered, but isn't everyone going to be selling to the grid during the day when demand is relatively lower, and then buying in the evening when demand is high.

From a supply balancing point of view would it be better to increase the subsidy for battery storage? (AIUI, currently batteries don't make sense from a payback perspective).

loyatemu wrote: »
    genuine question, and apologies if this has already been answered, but isn't everyone going to be selling to the grid during the day when demand is relatively lower, and then buying in the evening when demand is high.

From a supply balancing point of view would it be better to increase the subsidy for battery storage? (AIUI, currently batteries don't make sense from a payback perspective).

Peak demand is in the evening when everyone is home and cooking dinner, watching TV, heating houese, etc.

At night demand drops considerably while everyone is asleep, but the wind often blows more at night so generations from wind goes up, hence the big price drop at night time

Domestic demand during the day is low, but demand from industry and offices is much higher, so houses with PV arrays will be selling power to these consumers

Ideally for domestic renewables, you try to consume as much as you produce, so that's when batteries come in handy to store the energy for that evening peak

You can make the payback for batteries a bit easier by charging them at night as well, this allows you to shift all of your consumption from the grid to night rates, effectively halving your electricity costs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I made the point regarding maximum export being difficult to stay under when you have a high consumer house and said the amount should be raised and tied to a diminishing CEP. The more you export, the less of a return you get, until you're back to the market rate, basic supply and demand

Isnt that somewhat contradictory though? If you have a high consumer house its more likely (not certain though) that you would be able to self consume it, which is what they are trying to encourage.... i.e. Your export limit is tied to the size of your array.

Thats more admin though and makes it more confusing for end users to understand. Not that this document is easy to understand. :)

Price certainty is important, I think, at least during the initial uptake where people are questioning if its worth it or not.

They are not renewable though unless you can prove where the energy came from, which you cant.

buzz11 wrote: »

You can already go beyond 6kWp just that you have to jump through extra hoops to get permission from Eirgrid to connect up. They have to ensure the local infrastructure is good enough.

Based on how this consulation is worded they have put alot of emphasis on self consumption and most houses would not be able to self consume the vast majority of an install that is bigger than 6kWp.

So, my guess is that they wont change the current NC6 limits but you can still go bigger than 6kWp if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats why the consultation is focussing on self consumption. They dont want a situation where people are covering their houses with panels and exporting "it all" and getting paid for it at someone else's expense.

The idea is self consume and size your array accordingly and obviously you have to oversize the array to cover more of the autumn/winter months so the FiT will then take the resultant excess in the summer but the idea is that it would be relatively speaking small amounts of excess (<30%).

The economics of that dont really stack up using current Li-ion tech in a domestic scenario, which you have said.

We do need lots of storage though, but at the grid level on a massive scale, not individual 2kWh batteries at home. e.g. Turlough hill and Silvermines.

You can make the payback for batteries a bit easier by charging them at night as well, this allows you to shift all of your consumption from the grid to night rates, effectively halving your electricity costs

Its not quite that simple though. There are losses which make the gains quite small and you are degrading your battery with each cycle so its questionable with todays tech whether thats a sound idea at all. It has been discussed on the various SolarPV threads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The ESB are planning a number of battery sites, reasonable assumption they can therefore store electricity I sell them at say, 2PM and then sell it on at say 6PM in Winter at a higher rate, let them worry about the losses

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement