Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I presume you are referring to Battle Cry of Freedom. Readers differ - I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Yes. Absolutely. My fault. I had been watching interview with Shelby Foote about his life and his great book. And looking at Ken Burns' documentary. Thus the confusion. Have on my shelf also Team of Rivals and just wish Doris Kearns had written a book soley about Lincoln. She is a wonder writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just started scrublands by chris hammer. aussie journalist goes to a small town in the outback to see how the townspeople are coping 1 year after a priest went on a shooting rampage.

in the process, he will a) figure stuff out about himself and deal with his PTSD from an incident in his past, b) hook up with the local stunner, who keeps him in regular supply of coffee, c) solve the mystery of why the priest did it, d) write a pulitzer prize winning story about the town, thus restoring his rep in the big city of sydney and e) move back to Sydney only to realise he really loves the town (and the girl, obvs) so he returns lives happily ever after.*

*may not actually happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    Currently listening to:
    The Mayor of Noobtown by Ryan Rimmel
    After dying and being reborn into a world that's built like a video game, Jim has found himself stuck in a very old world style new player zone for low level adventurers. Unfortunately, the zone fell out of use centuries ago, and no one told the monsters they were supposed to take it easy on the Noobs. Even worse, the only new player around is Jim.

This is my first time listening to an audiobook, and honestly it may not have been the best choice to start with. My inner nerd caved after stumbling across it from the title and description. It feels so long at a little over 9 hours of audio, and I'm not really enjoying it all that much, not for lack of trying.. I'm 7 hours in at this point so I guess LitRPG adventures just aren't for me.

Currently reading:
    Nemesis Games (The Expanse #5) - James S.A. Corey
    A thousand worlds have opened, and the greatest land rush in human history has begun. As wave after wave of colonists leave, the power structures of the the old solar system begin to buckle.

Finished both of these.. Expanse did not disappoint. Stayed up well past my bed time to finish it last night.

Think I'm going to take a break from the series for a book or two before moving on.. Not sure what's up next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Just on the last chapter of the fifth book in Conn Iggulden’s Ghengis Khan series.

It’s pretty much a history of the Mongolian empire from Ghengis himself right down to his grandson Kublai Khan and the path they took when they very nearly conquered half the world on what were essentially ponies with bow and arrows (and some cannons in Kublai’s time), brilliant read and an area of history I wouldn’t have looked at before.
    Nice fact from the books. .5% of the male
    Population today are direct decedents of Ghengis, that’s about 16 million people..

Ive read Conn’s Roman series prior to this one and I tend to continue on with the same author until I’ve exhausted what they written (once it enjoyable of course). But I seem to be on a ‘greatest emperors’ thing at the moment so I’m the look out for anything on Alexander the Great next if anyone has any recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

gogo wrote: »
    Just on the last chapter of the fifth book in Conn Iggulden’s Ghengis Khan series.

It’s pretty much a history of the Mongolian empire from Ghengis himself right down to his grandson Kublai Khan and the path they took when they very nearly conquered half the world on what were essentially ponies with bow and arrows (and some cannons in Kublai’s time), brilliant read and an area of history I wouldn’t have looked at before.
    Population today are direct decedents of Ghengis, that’s about 16 million people..

Ive read Conn’s Roman series prior to this one and I tend to continue on with the same author until I’ve exhausted what they written (once it enjoyable of course). But I seem to be on a ‘greatest emperors’ thing at the moment so I’m the look out for anything on Alexander the Great next if anyone has any recommendations.

His series on The Wars if the Roses was good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

Danger781 wrote: »
    Finished both of these.. Expanse did not disappoint. Stayed up well past my bed time to finish it last night.

Really? I found it quite boring. Felt like a chore to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

About 60% through Wolf Hall, I love it. Anyone read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

About 60% through Wolf Hall, I love it. Anyone read it?

Yep have read the 3 books in this series. I loved Wolf Hall + Bringing up the Bodies but disappointed with the Mirror & the Light which was released recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep have read the 3 books in this series. I loved Wolf Hall + Bringing up the Bodies but disappointed with the Mirror & the Light which was released recently.

are they all as long as the first one? feels like I've been reading it forever.

Yep the last one is just shy of 900 pages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I was recently reading a non fiction book called Atomic: The First War of Physics by Jim Baggot.

It's about the development of the atomic bomb. It goes from the initial excitement of the discovery of fission right through to the Manhattan project and it has accounts on all the spying & technical challenges they faced.

A very interesting book, even if you're not interested in Physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ipso wrote: »
    His series on The Wars if the Roses was good.

And his Emperor series were probably the best series of books I've read.

I've been on a few books on the various Nazi high ranking officers recently, presently reading Field Marshal: The Life and Death of Erwin Rommel by Daniel Allan Butler

No need to give an introduction to Rommel, this is just a fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Stopped reading books a year ago, takes up too much time and you cant do anything else while reading a book.
    I switched to Audio books, fantastic stuff, should have done it years earlier, im getting through many more books now that i can consume the content while doing other things.
    Some have multiple cast members and really bring the book to life, try out audio books before you dismiss them, i know i did for years and now regret i did not listen to them years ago.
    The last few i have listened to
    Kolymsky heights -Lionel Davidson, top notch thriller,
    Arisen-Zombie apocalypse series, non stop action
    Check out some of the original Alien audiobooks, and the audio book version of Alien Covenant and a prequel are both very good.
    The Lost Fleet- jack campbell, good space opera, plenty of action
    Frontlines - Marko Kloos, another space action series, Love death and robots on Netflix done Lucky 13, a Frontlines story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Audio books is cheating! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

da_miser wrote: »
    Stopped reading books a year ago, takes up too much time and you cant do anything else while reading a book.
    :eek::confused::confused:
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Really? I found it quite boring. Felt like a chore to read.

That seemed to be the consensus on GoodReads for the last two books, but I found them the best additions to the series so far. Book 3 seemed to be among many people's favourites but I thought it was the most boring one of the series. I laboured through it but breezed through 4 and 5 while loving every minute. Maybe I'm just strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

For years i thought whats the point of audio books? Sure i can read them myself, and then around last January i gave them a go, only wish i did it sooner. When you are reading a book you have to put time aside to do so as it requires your full attention, now with Audio books i'm multi tasking, listen to books when exercising, driving, out shopping, cleaning the house and so on, i have easily increased my consumption of books fourfold in the past year and have plenty of time left to catch up on other forms of entertainment.
    Sounds like a advert for Audible! its well worth the price and with the sales they regularly have you can easily pick up audio books for under a fiver and you will in no time be consuming way more than you would otherwise.

da_miser wrote: »
    For years i thought whats the point of audio books? Sure i can read them myself, and then around last January i gave them a go, only wish i did it sooner. When you are reading a book you have to put time aside to do so as it requires your full attention, now with Audio books i'm multi tasking, listen to books when exercising, driving, out shopping, cleaning the house and so on, i have easily increased my consumption of books fourfold in the past year and have plenty of time left to catch up on other forms of entertainment.
    Sounds like a advert for Audible! its well worth the price and with the sales they regularly have you can easily pick up audio books for under a fiver and you will in no time be consuming way more than you would otherwise.

I've tried them for my longer runs, they were ok but I couldn't enjoy an audio book anywhere else. Although I've run training partner who's a truck driver, he swears by audio books. They just weren't for me.

I like my 'me time' with just me and my Kindle, it gives me an excuse to go to bed early, shut out the world and just read for a few hours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Audiobooks have their place, but to me they're like smelling food instead of tasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Just finished Nickolis Nickleby. It took me a while. I have to hand it to the optimist in Nicks's character.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

gogo wrote: »

If you listen to podcasts Dan Carlin does a fantastic series on the Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Just finished Homeland by Fernando Aramburu. Set in the Basque lands of Spain It's the story of two families. I don't want to say anymore about the story as I don't want to risk spoiling it for any of you that decide to read it. All I will say is that I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I finished reading Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris last night and just like The Tattooist of Auschwitz, this is fiction based on fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Shadow Warriors: The Irish Army Ranger Wing by Paul O'Brien and Wayne Fitzgerald. I absolutely loved this brief insight into the founding and development of the ARW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Tom Jones by Henry Fielding.
    I'll try to finish this beast before the end of the year! Language and writing style are tricky.

I finished Girl, Women, Other.

I really enjoyed it.

I've now started Apeirogon by Colm Mc Cann. Not that mad about the style of writing but very interested in story. An Irasel + Palestine who have both lost a child during the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings’ by Maya Angelou.

Not my usual “read” but found it to be a tough, powerful and, exceptionally, well written book.

The tide is turning…

Shadow Warriors: The Irish Army Ranger Wing by Paul O'Brien and Wayne Fitzgerald. I absolutely loved this brief insight into the founding and development of the ARW.

Read it, its an excellent and informative read.

As a serving soldier I thought I'd probably know a lot of what the ARW done, but I found there was lots I didn't know (when I read the book).

Reading 'Field Marshall, the life and death of Erwin Rommel'. It started with Rommel's childhood and his service in WWI, then it [the book] gets bogged down in the treaty of Versailles, the Night of the Long Knives and the formation of the Nazi party & Hitlers rise.. Tbh its a drag, but I'll plug on through to Rommel's service in WWII, which I'm really looking forward to.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom - autobiographical account of T.E Lawrence (of Arabia ) his expereinces in The Arab revolt .
    Just at the part where the Arabs have asked for British help to defend Mecca from Ottoman forces ... go figure Muslims asking Christians to defend Mecca from other Muslims ...
    The epic self supported journeys by camel across vast swathes of desert are the best part of the story.
    If that interests you but your not interested in the militray campaigns then Id recommend Wilfred Thesiger Arabian Sands or The Marsh Arabs . Thesiger the first westerner or even Arab to explore many routes across the deserts in modern day middle east, a great first hand account of life on the move with the Bedouin pre 1950

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Nothing is Strage With you
    James Jeffry Paul
    True crime - the story of Gordon Stewart Norcott who killed several boys in the 1920s and buried them in his California chicken farm while keeping his 14 year old nephew as a sex slave.

Incredible story.

Advertisement