Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

I’m might consider it now with the feedback received. Though I’d rather do this in one hit. Will require two grant applications and a second BER maybe, though, to do a two phase approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So your on the right track there. I did a similar exercise a few months ago and wrote an application for it.

Couple of things you might have not considered in your logic - which is fairly close to what I found when I did the math myself.

• You need to account for losses. E.g. to put 5KwH into a battery you will need to buy 5.5Kwh-6.0Kwh (call it 15%) from the Grid due to losses.
    • The batteries cost isn't linear for capacity. Typically you get more KwH/€ for larger batteries than you do with smaller ones. Meaning that larger batteries will tend to payback quicker. HOWEVER, you need to be able to cycle the capacity everyday to get that payback. If you buy say a 20KwH battery, but you only use 10 KwH a day.....well, you won't be able to generate the savings.
    • The reality is that these are "perfect figures". You'd struggle to do them for example, you go on vacation for 2 weeks from the house then you can rule out those savings for those times. etc

I think as a general level, and I'm talking generally here......you're looking at a 9-10 year payback. Mileage will vary. Rates can go up, shortening payback etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I was thinking it looks familiar 🤔. The spec is good if a little over spec. But still ouch.

Wow thats a lot of work and info. Firstly electricity prices will change and not in a good way. The FIT at this moment is nonsense. But having said that I would go for a battery, did you factor in the grant for the batteries?

You could go down the road of getting them and selling them at a profit then go for a self build like some have done from Aliexpress.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Is that publicly available? Would like to plug in my numbers! Also if someone that had been using for more than a year runs it might be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Coo225

That app looks great! Do you have a copy uploaded anywhere?

Based on your battery specifications I think that example is for the GivEnergy 8.2kwh? I was looking at that as a favourite option until yesterday when I read their warranty and saw they will simply offer a %of the initial cost back if it breaks. So if it breaks in year 2, they only offer 70% of your money back, or in year 9, just 5% of your money back. Compared to pylontec who seem to offer a replacement if it breaks within the 10year warranty.

Can I ask what battery you went with and what your experience has been like?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Coo225

I didn't factor in the grant for batteries as I don't personally qualify. I think if you can get the grant it's a pretty safe investment as you should be fully paid back well within the warranty period.

You're right regarding energy prices, they're very likely to go up with all the additional heat pumps and EVs that Europe has to bring online in the next 10-20years. So that should push the break even point a little closer.

The self builds look very cost effective but honestly I wouldn't sleep at night with a self built battery in my attic 😅 I'm very untrusting of what battery resellers would send my way. And could only imagine home insurance refusing to pay up in case of a fire caused by a DIY battery set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brendanMcC

hi folks

i am new to this forum , i am looking to get get some quotes for a PV system in co Galway, would anyone recommend a trustworthy company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

i am guessing a 12 panel system - but wiling to take the advice of an expert

• Advertisement

I've only got mine installed about a week, so it's too soon for me to formulate an informed opinion based off a long term ownership, but provisionally, I've been pretty happy with the battery and the telemetry that they have on it. There's a "demo site" that you can go to and see the charts etc that Givenergy supply.

Login page - GivEnergy Cloud - Select "Demo Site"

I do have an issue in my installation where the 100Amp circuit breaker is tripping, but that's not likely to be a battery issue. it's tripping not because of over current, probably some earth leakage somewhere or a faulty breaker (it's rare, but it does happen), but installer is on it and will replace for free if necesssary. I was a bit apprehensive as I'd heard/read some negative comments about 1 year ago that the software was poor, but I'm happy to say that they have either improved it since, or the previous comments were unfounded.

As for warranty. I think that payback of say 50% after 5 years etc, was only if they could not source the replacement parts. if they could fix it, they would fix it for free so the % payback was only in the case of not able to get the bits. Not sure, but wouldn't every other company have the same or similar clause?

GivEnergy residential battery warranty

E.g. if you bought a puredrive battery and it failed after 5 years, and they couldn't get the parts.....what would they do? Dunno.

Will at some stage perform a round trip exercise to figure out losses to/from battery, but it will be a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 imported corkonian

Hi All,

Looking for some feedback on a quote I received, this is in the Cork area.

Payback would be in 12 years.

Probably about €3000 more than you should pay. Run away.

Only one word for that and I can't post it on boards.ie.

Run away.

You can get SAAS for 3600 plus after grant or an extra 1800 for eddi if done over 10 years. Can be cheaper to do it yourself later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

for roughly the same net price I was quoted a 4.76kW system (14 340w panels), 6kW inverter & a 5kWh battery.

(Enniskillen)

as previous posters have said, run a mile, if get them to take at least €3k off their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ask for quotes and say you're not getting the grant. When you mention grants, it's music to most installers ears. The majority just pocket the 3k or whatever the grant amount is by adding it onto their bill.

Grants are great on paper, but it's the installer that benefits most of the time. The grants just drive up the gross price. This thread is proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You would be paying 5k over. Maybe you even more as I don't even see a battery.

10k for a 3kWh system is scandalous.

I'd be surprised if it was paid back in 20 years tbh.

Fit announcement by Eamon Ryan on news at 6.

He's saying January it will be announced 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So basically they’ve told us they’ve still nothing to tell us……

I have a day/night meter, and intend on keeping it for as long as I can. Do you have to have a smart meter to avail of whatever measly FIT they end up offering……

(smart meters have been going in furiously over the last 2 weeks in my area……. KN Connect vans buzzing around like flies on sh1te)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Peppa

Hi I have tried following this thread for some time now but I am just not technically minded and am more confused than anything else! I am looking for some recommendations for reputable companies to get some quotes and then I can start from there. I am based in the South-East.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Bought a new house last December with 4 solar panels on the roof. I’m generating a little bit of energy (3.2 kWh today) but I wanted a larger set. I emailed the original installer and he sent me this (feeling disappointed, but I think basically that he can’t be bothered to do it, as he specializes in new builds installing the minimum possible):

the PV panels are there to satisfy current building regulations

To add on extra PV modules would involve the following trades:-

• Scaffolder
    • Roofer
    • ourselves for external solar
    • plaster to open up ceiling/walls in your” small plant room”
    • ourselves for extra electrical work
    • 10 x extra panels
    • 1 x larger inverter
    • Fixings
    • 2 x 3.6kw batteries

Budget €15k…+ vat…………excluding internal plasterer  

not feasible in my opinion

There may be other companies who will do this work without scaffolding…………….we will not do this

Opinions?

Ahh, I think you hit the nail on the head there.....that's a "please go away" quote :-)

To be fair, a lot of installers won't touch a previously installed system. Some of it with some justification. If you system is very small, you may find that it's simply better to take out the current one and replace it with a totally new spec. Problem of course if that you probably won't be eligible for the grant.

14x panels x 380w = 5.3Kwp , 5 KwHr battery probably ~€10K from scratch......though you could recoup some of that by selling your existing kit.

Hard one to call to be fair. Do you know what your existing kit is? Make/model/size of inverter etc.

Would give folks here better options to give you

The grant adds unnecessary costs to Solar pv. Removing the original low spec setup would probably be the way to go and start from scratch.

The old system has a second hand valve.

On the plus side a new setup will be far superior to what you have. Get some quotes and start from there.

Don't worry we all started knowing feck all, you are in good hands here.

One important thing is, don't be afraid of asking the silly questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Thanks for this. No idea of what system we have. All I know is that the inverter is omnik brand. I’ll ask around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭championc

Surely it has a bit more written on it. Maybe there is a label on the bottom where the cables connect, or on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Hi,

I'm jumping into getting PV panels; about quotes... is it normal for them to need to come out to do a survey before they give you a ballpark quote? Also a lot of people have mentioned the "Enniskillen" crowd, would someone be kind enough to PM me their details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement