Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For all those on here born in 1986....

• 07-01-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

....we're turning 30 this year. :cool:

I myself actually have the misfortune of doing this in august. My "transfer value" goes done now, I've become officially "over the hill" and "past it". Its the apparent start of our physical demise. Yay.

So what are you all planning to do to mark this sombre occasion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Late 1988 myself so I have another 2 years and 9 months. Tbh ever since about the age of 24 I've been worrying about turning 30, I can't comprehend that I could ever be such an age. Absolutely Terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Turned 30 last Sept.

Checked myself into the nursing home to get ahead of the curve and waiting list. Tis' grand, get to watch Countdown and Antique Roadshow all the time and complain about punk kids these days with other aul people like meself.

Not quite big on wearing the adult nappies, though they are a bit of a time saver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm 30 in October.It's ****ing depressing just thinking about it.It always feels bad looking at GAA and Soccer teams and seeing the majority of the players most of the players are now younger than I am.

Although the only bright spot is apparently I look a lot younger than my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I hate you young folk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I myself actually have the misfortune of doing this in august. My "transfer value" goes done now, I've become officially "over the hill" and "past it". Its the apparent start of our physical demise. Yay.

I remember turning 30 and the awful realisation that I was never going to get that international call up I had dreamt of.

I would have been the first player from Cippenham United reserves to get the call, but it wasn't to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every so often this appears on AH. What makes people think 30 is over the hill? It's far from it and there's a load of great living to be had after 30. Age is just a number. You don't suddenly become decrepit the day you turn 30; or indeed any age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The zimmerframe and pension are in the post OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Late 1988 myself so I have another 2 years and 9 months. Tbh ever since about the age of 24 I've been worrying about turning 30, I can't comprehend that I could ever be such an age. Absolutely Terrifying.

What, in the name of Jaysus is terrifying about it? :confused:
    Jumping out of a plane with no parachute is terrifying, sticking your head in a crocodile's mouth is terrifying, going from 29 to 30 is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm 30 in October.It's ****ing depressing just thinking about it.It always feels bad looking at GAA and Soccer teams and seeing the majority of the players most of the players are now younger than I am.

I remember reading something years ago where the writer said how difficult it was to shout for or worse wear a replica shirt of a kid, 10/20 years younger than you, who earns multiples of your annual salary, weekly.
    He wasn't wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

At least people born in 1986 don't remember 1986, judging by Reeling in the Years it was a particularly depressing year.

I'm staring down the barrel of 40 so you can all just pipe down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I'm also born in 1986(September) I know i'm turning 30 this year but i don't understand why some people get worried about it. I can't do anything about it and anyway i don't care as it never bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kfallon wrote: »
    What, in the name of Jaysus is terrifying about it? :confused:
    Jumping out of a plane with no parachute is terrifying, sticking your head in a crocodile's mouth is terrifying, going from 29 to 30 is not!

waking up on the morning of 30 plus one day can be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

wish i was only turning 30 , jaysus your only youngsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I was born in 1988 so I have a couple of years to go but I dread every birthday since I turned eighteen. There are a couple of reasons for this though, I don't feel like I have achieved as much as I should have for my age and that feeling only worsens as I get older. It's ok to be bumbling along not having your **** together at 21, not so endearing at 27, it just makes me look dysfunctional. I also have a illness that doesn't have a great life expectancy outcome so each birthday is a triumph but also a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I was born in December 1985 so have just gone through this. I celebrated by going for a lovely trip up the driveway in my wheelchair, eating a quick dinner because my dodgey hip can't sit in a hard chair for a long time and having a small glass of prosecco because I'm not supposed to drink with my medication, so you all have that to look forward to!

*disclaimer: this may not happen to everyone turning thirty, these events may be as a result of a horse landing on me just before my birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

August 86 also. Doesn't bother me at all though.. Happier now than I ever was throughout my early 20s now that I think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

When you are 40 you'll wish you were 30 and so on. Always the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Hitting the big 3-0 in November. It seems like only yesterday I was getting ****faced on my 21st :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

Turning 30 in February, don't feel old at all ( probably because I still get asked for ID) I achieved what I wanted to achieve by the time I am 30 ( well, at least some of it) and looking forward to celebrating my birthday in lanzarote
    :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I know perspective and all that but saying the idea of turning 30 is terrifying is ludicrous!

I remember not being thrilled about it for sure, but it was fine - life carried on as normal. No idea why a person would be past it - but I guess thats not being totally serious. :)

30 nowadays is quite young actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Also turning 30 this year but I never had the energy of a 20 something year old anyway so how bad? Might move further into a slower comfort zone?

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I was born in 1988 so I have a couple of years to go but I dread every birthday since I turned eighteen. There are a couple of reasons for this though, I don't feel like I have achieved as much as I should have for my age and that feeling only worsens as I get older. It's ok to be bumbling along not having your **** together at 21, not so endearing at 27, it just makes me look dysfunctional. I also have a illness that doesn't have a great life expectancy outcome so each birthday is a triumph but also a reminder.
    I think you are being too hard on yourself. Lots of people your age don't have their sh-t together, and they're not managing an illness like you are. You certainly don't come across as dysfunctional too.
    I remember the year of your birth very well indeed by the way (the Olympics in Seoul - only time the Olympics was ever interesting to me) - young 'un!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

People younger than me are turning 30. This is so depressing. I'll never be 20, or 30 again. Only getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hitting the big 3-0 in November. It seems like only yesterday I was getting ****faced on my 21st :)

It is only yesterday. You will be astonished to find how the years speed up the older you get. I can barely see them the speed they flash by at this stage. Hardly any point taking down the Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The year I turned 30, I met my now wife. A ****ing great year! Great party too! Baileys and brandy all night! 30 is nothing. Over 40 now and I still don't give a ****. Age means nothing. It only means something if you are hung up on getting older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'll make you feel old op. In September their will be pretty much no children in primary or secondary education born in the last century.

• Advertisement

I'm in my late 30s now, and it's only in the last couple of years that I've started to feel "old". Of course not literally old (there are people in their 60s/early 70s who don't even seem old yet) but certain things really blow your mind - like, retrospectives about 10 years ago (say, Reeling In The Years): I was an adult then (and not a very young adult either). Wtf?! How did that happen? 10 years is supposed to be a long time ago! It's supposed to be a time you barely remember! I was watching that cop series Cold Case this evening and it was about the reopening of a 1998 murder case - I was a young adult in 1998. Some of the characters on the show looking back were younger than me in 1998. Again, aren't those things only supposed to be about stuff going way way back to when I was a child or not even born?!

The 90s being to early-to-mid 20-somethings now what the 70s were to me when I was an early-to-mid-20-something, is totally ****ed up too... :-/
    The 70s is ancient history - state of people back then! The 90s is recent!

:D

But you gotta accept it - what else can you do? Getting upset about it is futile. It will get worse anyway - some day you'll want to be as young as you are now, even if you're not that young now!
    Take care of your health and don't let your age stop you from doing things you want to do (once it shouldn't stop you!) Don't dwell on it too much - some people are stupid about their age: "I want to do xyz - am I too old?" when age has absolutely no effect on it whatsoever.

Plus, someone who is terminally ill on this board said recently that for them, getting older is a privilege. Perspective like that is no harm.

Advertisement