Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jay Hunter's Journal of Horror Films

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You're Next (2013)

^ It's a home invasion film but the plot is more interesting than that. Recommend not watching the trailer to enjoy the movie more.

Production: Starring Sharni Vinson (Cassie Turner in Home and Away) and directed by Adam Wingard (VHS2 - "Phase I Clinical Trials" ie the best one in VHS2)

Quick disclaimer: I generally avoid this subgenre of horror as the whole "Bad stuff happens, we never find out why because that's scarier", feels like an excuse for extended periods of forced emotion/screaming/wailing which becomes irritating, and with no story to go on, makes the these films seem really samey and unengaging. I've only heard good things about "You're Next" so made an exception.

Thoughts on the film:
    • Plot: A retired couple invite their children and significant others to their house to celebrate their wedding anniversary.
    • 'Correct' use of nudity! There's some at the start of the film which I think entices viewers to stick around long enough to hopefully get interested in the film instead.
    • You know the silly horror trope of someone's looking around and a friend grabs their shoulder? The perp says "I'm trying to scare you" and grins. Appreciated that!
    • We get my hated 'everyone SCREAMS their heads off' scene for a solid few minutes but then we're alright.
    • I assume by design, I only liked one person from the cast (the protagonist). They did a good job of showing you the grind of family get-togethers, relatives sniping at each other etc. Not so great caring for them in a horror film though.
    • The white animal masks are kinda cool, not the scariest masks but they're memorable.
    • It's well paced and the full plot is revealed about 55 minutes into the film, which changes the tone of the film, which is a big positive.
    • We get explanations on motives which I appreciated.
    • Action/'I'm getting confident' scenes have this funky 'Terminator 1' synth music playing during those parts, which did lighten the mood (I found it a bit silly). There are parts which are definitely played for a cheer and are successful.

*Small* gripes about the film
    • Having a survivalist in the 'victim group' is a tad convenient, MacGyvering booby traps etc but the film is SO much better off because of it.
    • Survivalist is inconsistent with attacking the bad guys - first she kills & makes sure by bludgeoning, then she stabs a shoulder and lets them hobble out of there
    • Villain girl accomplice is not anywhere near a real person!
    • Nobody ever tried the car (which was open)
    • These are small gripes and don't affect the enjoyment of the film.

Overall, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the film, especially for a genre I'd don't prefer. It has an interesting story, and although it gets less tense and more action-orientated towards the end, it was engaging throughout. I'd recommend.

The Battery (2012)
    Directed/Written/Starring Jeremy Gardner as Ben, with his friend Mickey (Adam Cronheim), as two unlikely friends travelling in a post-zombie outbreak New England.

Thoughts on the film:
    • It was shot on a $6,000 budget, and as such, most of the film is really two lads on empty roads and in houses. It's also weird to see a zombie film without any colour grading (eg the woods are rich with bright greens) - the colour palate is warm and inviting.
    • The bulk of the film is Mickey and Ben chatting to each other. It's a fresher take on a tired situation, and both are quite amiable, making it an easy watch.
    • It's bewildering how Mickey listens to his headphones at full-blast in a zombie apocalypse but Ben chastises him a few times over it, I appreciated that. It also makes sense how he'd listen to a discman (that's a portable CD player for the young uns) as it's easier to find batteries for than charging an iPod!
    • The director lets some scenes linger on a bit too long, after the point has gotten across (eg brushing their teeth), often with indie music playing. Lots of music/no dialogue sequences in the film.
    • However, there's one particularly long one-shot scene that's actually really well done (nothing *and everything* is happening in real time for 6 minutes, it's about a minute too long).
    (When Mickey leaves the car, which is surrounded by zombies, to find the keys. The scene stays with Ben anxiously waiting, which is both very tense and cost-efficient!)
    • It's more interesting than a comedy, but there are comedic moments.
    (like Mickey decides to masturbate to a hot zombie. Hilarious!)
    You end up caring about both of them and wanting to see them survive, so job done.

Overall: Ideal for a end-of-the-night horror film. It's low budget but it's a fresher take on zombie post-apocalypse setting, and the duo make it easy viewing. Worth a watch.

Hollow (2011)
    Plot: 4 friends (on-the-rocks couple Emma and James and their friends Lynne and Scott) arrive in a family country house where many suicides happened previously, more specifically hangings using a large, hollow tree nearby.

Thoughts on the film:
    • This is a found footage (via handheld camera) film. As the movie is "police evidence", kayfabe-wise I always find it funny that someone's taken the time to edit it into a tight narrative, including jump-scares.
    • Since the budget is extremely low, it's tiresome to see the actors constantly making something out of nothing. 'Scares' come via quiet-sudden-noise cheap startling, strange sounds, rustling, bangs, microphone whooshes, screams, friendlies creep up from behind etc. (i.e cheapest of the cheap). This is almost a student film.
    • The Englishmen are extremely laddish and it's quite grating. As in, strip poker and a guy hides his genitals using a Jesus statue grating. Snort coke, drive to the church, shout out at the Vicar type stuff. There's also a bit of a love triangle too which is fine.
    • Lots of pitch black, low-light situations, mostly mooching around a house or running around the countryside/Suffolk's Leiston Abbey.
    • There is brief nudity (a guy puts the camera in the bathroom) and it's quickly spotted but the woman isn't that mad about it.
    • With a working car they find reasons to stick around: 1) need to wait to give the keys back, and 2) one of them runs off.
    • Exposition is via files left in the house and a fisherman.
    • There's a few nice touches; there's a shot of one of the girls through a mirror, and the curtains make it look like you're seeing her through a noose, I found out later that Scott ties the baggage to the car roof using a hangman's knot. Unfortunately there's also the trendy Blair Witch 'camera up the nose' shot.
    • Seems kinda silly that the woman says the demon/spirit feeds off you being scared, but doesn't try combat that. The folklore says you're hypnotised into committing suicide, as a couple, so yeah...stay in the car! Also, there were no couples by the time of the attack. Also, phones don't have lights apparently. This is getting nit-picky but I'm trying to explain why I didn't enjoy the film. If it were great it'd be much easier to look past the flaws.

Overall: The ridiculous 6.5/10 on IMDB is way off. Being generous, it's 3.5/10 at best. Acting is fine enough, but I didn't care for them, the film is so cheap and lazy...I've seen worse but there's very little to redeem the film. What's that? An scary anorak? Ah, cmon. Avoid.

The Orphanage (El Orfanato) (2007)

^ This trailer is in English. It's weird to hear the film promoted in this way but there ya go!

Directed by Juan Antonio Bayona with executive producer Guillermo del Toro, starring Belén Rueda (Julia in Los ojos de Julia, also produced by del Toro).

Plot: It's a Spanish paranormal/horror drama about Laura, an orphan who moves her family into her old orphanarium building. Her sick son goes missing shortly after he befriends new (unseen) pals. Afterwards she's convinced something is in the house with them. She works to uncover the truth and hopefully find her son.

Thoughts on the film:
    • Although there are child ghosts it doesn't come across as scary, just a bit creepy (with old bug-eyed dolls, masks and also Tomás, who wears a sack to hide his face). It's never outwardly vicious or malevolent attacks, they play games by hiding things around the building.
    • I always love seeing paranormal investigations play out and seeing the equipment they use.
    • The police investigators nor the psychic medium really help things - it's Laura solving everything herself.
    • I appreciated that although the protagonist is the only one to experience seemingly paranormal events, they don't explore questioning her sanity.
    • Despite physical proof of weird things happening, the husband dismisses it and comes off as an ass, even though he's just trying to rebuild his life - he's a father who gives up, he won't stick around despite no other leads.
    • The exposition is interesting and the film held my attention throughout the 1hr 45m.
    • The final act is fitting, bringing back set-ups from the prior acts (particularly the Statues game) and the conclusion is satisfying.

Overall, it's more drama, intended to feel more than scare, and it's successful. So its not great horror - but it is a very well made film. Recommended.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

Plot: Perfume is a German-made film set in 18th Century France, about the life story of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille (Ben Whisaw aka Q in James Bond's Skyfall), an orphan with a superior sense of smell, who murders in pursuit of capturing the scents of women.

Thoughts on the film:
    • The world is fleshed out well (highlighting the grimy, unhygienic time period), with wonderful cinematography, beautiful scenery, a grand scope, and an impressive crowd scene. Combined with the story it might come off as pretentious but I thought it worked well, Whisaw is very believable in the role.
    • It moves along at a nice pace from birth, to child, to finding himself in the perfume industry. Sadly the film's length (2 1/2 hours) really starts to drag as his final goal comes apparent.
    • His trial and error refining of techniques is interesting.
    • The jump from enjoying scents to obsession of a perfect scent by being an adept, murdering psychopath is a bit of a leap.
    • Dustin Hoffman is poor in this film. It just seems like Dustin Hoffman is in a movie. Alan Rickman does a better job but you never forget that it's Alan Rickman. Both were first choice casting though.
    • His power of scent is tantamount to a superpower by the end of the film.
    • The payoff/end sequence is quite slow, but fitting and surprising. It's like the film didn't want to end, which ultimately hurt the overall experience.

Overall: It's a well made film, but my interest was drained before the credits rolled - could've edited out half an hour. Definitely mostly drama with elements of horror. I wouldn't seek it out but it is a fine watch.

• Advertisement

John Dies At The End (2012)

Plot: Quirky horror comedy about David Wong (white guy with a pseudonym :pac:) and his buddy John (who dies at the end!). David gets some psychic powers, including talking to the deceased, after taking a drug called "soy sauce".

Thoughts on the film:
    • Starts out really well - some laugh out loud parts which are sure to please crowds.
    • The story is interspliced with David recounting his story in a restaurant to a reporter.
    • To confuse you, the film constantly shifts between time frames and real or hallucination.
    • It becomes a convoluted save-the-world story, which was absolutely not needed and ultimately hurt the film. There's lots of cool ideas and characters that I would've liked to focus on instead.
    • By the final act, the plot completely spirals out of control, it becomes too surreal and zany - I lost interest.
    • Very odd there's nonsensical nudity over an hour into the movie. I'd generally see nudity as a means to hook a viewer in, but at that point the audience has decided to watch the film through.
    • There's some large scale, ridiculous action shots the film can't afford to do seriously, so it rightly makes do going for comedy, and is entertaining. It's definitely a last-movie-of-the-night-at-a-horrorthon movie.

Overall: It's a fun film but as the movie goes on, it overwhelms you with nonsensical, incoherent scenarios, so much that I'd given up before the credits rolled. Can't recommend. It's such a shame as it's started out so charming and enjoyable.

The Loved Ones (2009)

Plot: Australian Indie "trapped-and-try-to-escape"/dark comedy horror film. Brent (Xavier Samuel) is kidnapped by the unrequited Lola (Robin McLeavy) and her father, and forced to endure their own home-spun sadistic prom night. During this his family looks for him, and his friend Jamie takes his date to the prom.

Thoughts on the film:

• As you can see there's one serious plotline, a more dramatic one one, and an outright coming-of-age comedy one. The latter two are supposed to be a bit of reprieve from the torture (it intentionally lowers the impact the violence has) but I found it to muddle the tone and slow the film. I just wanted to see what happens to Brent, the other happenings are of much less importance relative to the peril Brent is in.
    • That said, there are definitely some moments played for laughs/cheers and they hit the mark.
    • The film is quite low budget ($4m) and it's hard to see where most of it went. The film mostly takes place in people's houses and the backarse of Melbourne!
    • I love the 'chance to escape' early in the capture, it really increases the tension (as we don't know if the film turns into a victim revenge plot)
    • Having been medically trained, I must nitpick: Lola uses a syringe to apparently inject bleach into Brent's voicebox (so he can't talk/scream). How this could possibly be contained to his larynx and not cause severe tracheal damage/suffocate him...just go with it. It just stops him talking.
    • I would like to know more about Lola and her secret trap door. What we get is sufficient to tell the story of the film though.
    • Almost every horror film is guilty of this (so it keeps the film going) but it annoys me that when victims have bad guys on the ropes, they try to escape instead of finishing the job.

Overall: Sad to say, it was just alright. I'm quite shocked at the huge positive response to the film. It's fine but I wouldn't recommend.

Drag Me To Hell (2009)

Directed by Sam Raimi (Evil Dead Trilogy, Spider-Man Trilogy) and co-written with his brother Ivan.

Plot: Christine (Alison Lohman) is unfairly cursed for reluctantly declining an old gypsy woman's mortgage extension. So the deal is: If someone's marked for death, paranormal/ominous happenings occur for 3 days until death claims them. So, the trickster God will toy with you until dragging you...to hell!

Thoughts on the film:
    • The film repeatedly does 20 minutes of seriousness, punctuated by a gross-out/humorous/suspension-of-disbelief moment. I get they're doing an Evil Dead thing, but I don't think the two opposite ends of the horror spectrum gel (in this film, anyway). How are we supposed to feel like the protagonist is in serious danger if she has funny gross-out scenes? It's not horror-comedy, it's horror then comedy, if that makes sense. The good work done building tension is undone by comedy and vice versa. I really liked Army of Darkness, but that was a clear comedy tone with a horror backdrop.
    • Characters are pretty stock (the blonde girl who's weak and grows strong internally, the crazy gyppo, the obnoxious asian co-worker) and are not charming, although I enjoyed seeing fortune teller Rham Jas (Dileep Rao, the driver from Inception)
    • The writing and style is average; the effects are generally fine, some are good but damn, some are atrocious!
    Bitten by a puppet of a possessed goat!
    That was hilarious.

Overall, I can't recommend. It's a difficult fine line doing this type of horror with comedy. Not that the serious horror by itself is great! It's inconsistent tone (serious horror punctuated with comedy/gross-out moments) was jarring ultimately wasn't enjoyable. Most people seem to love it though - maybe you'll like it, it just wasn't for me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I thought it was dung aswell tbh.

The Road (2009)

(This trailer is so much more high-energy than the film's downtrodden mindset.)

Plot: A father and son (Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee) traverse a dangerous, post-apocalyptic America. It's a film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2006 novel, which inspired/influenced many films/games/books. Directed by John Hillcoat.

Thoughts on the film:
    • This film is really, really demoralizing. They have a few instances of reprieve, but it's such a disheartening film. It left me quite dejected even into the next day after watching it.
    • It speaks about mankind, how this unspecified devastation has turned the most survivors into figurative monsters
    (redneck cannibals/rapists/mutilators)
    but the child does reinforce the innocence/good in mankind, pushing his good-natured (but worn-down) protective father to always do the right thing, even if it puts them out a bit. So it's a good dichotomy between the two.
    • It's shot in washed-out, muted colours, lots of dirt and pale green hue. (Also to accentuate how vegetation/life has been wiped out)
    • I felt the pacing was perfect - no scene overstays it's welcome and each progresses the story.
    • The film doesn't enrich your life, or teach you valuable lessons - it's just so bleak, like an adult version of Finding Nemo. A few minutes of happiness doesn't atone for the 90 minutes of abject misery.

Spoiler Thoughts:
    • I initially thought the 'happier' ending was tacked on to make the struggle of the film more palatable, but it's the same in the book.
    • I was annoyed with the father opting not to stay in the underground shelter. Even if you die in a week, it's a week of being happy, having fresh clothes, food and bathing. That'd likely condemn the child to death though, but I wanted to stay in that happy moment for as long as possible.

Overall, I can't recommend the film simply on the grounds that it's just so depressing. But as a film, it's very well made, acted and executed.

• Advertisement

Triangle (2009)
    Plot: British-made film starring Melissa George (the Sheriff's wife in 30 Days of Night) as Jess, a woman caught in a murderous time loop aboard a 'deserted' cruise ship.

Thoughts on the film:
    • The idea of this film is really great, I love the gimmick of time-looping paradoxes.
    • The characters aren't that likeable, especially the protagonist, who is generally a catatonic crazy woman - so spending the film with her makes it less enjoyable!
    • The storyline mostly makes sense, except for explaining the initial 'loop' (a common problem with time-loop stories) and the multiple dead bodies - I feel it was included just because it looks really cool.
    • It bugged me how quickly she conformed to the horrific murder loop,
    (i.e. getting a shotgun, putting on a mask, shooting people, killing a man with a hook)
    . It's like she did whatever the plot needed her to do - maybe since she was in a state of shock she'd do anything, but if felt it was to keep the pace up or the running time down to 99 minutes.
    • The strong parts of the movie are the initial mystery after boarding the ship, and the final 15 minutes, where the movie tries to make sense of itself.
    • The soundtrack is fine except for this cheesy melancholic piano with child/woman singing the notes, which is unintentionally hilarious. It's straight out of The Simpsons' Horror parody "The Redeadening".

Overall it's a really cool idea, executed average at best. Pretty half-baked, wouldn't recommend.

Dredd (2012)
    Plot: Dredd is an 18's-rated action film based on 2000 AD's Judge Dredd comic-book character. In a futuristic, high-rise dystopia called Mega-City One, Dredd is one of many law enforcers called "Judges", who respond to crimes and immediately carry out sentences if needed. He (Karl Urban) with his female rookie Judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) is called out to sort out a disturbance in a block of flats, ran by the drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey)

Thoughts on the film:
    • This has no ties to the horrendous 1995 Sylvester Stallone/Rob Schneider effort! Epitomised by Dredd (rightly) never taking off his helmet.
    • Fittingly it's an 18s certificate - so an abundance of harsh, visceral action - unapologetic bloodshed and nasty fight scenes and deaths. (e.g. Dredd punches in a guy's throat and you can see the apple-sized dent he makes!). It's great. Refreshingly brutal. Excellent sound effects - thuds, bangs, wallops all sound heavy and painful. Conversely, almost no nudity.
    • Unfortunately the film was released a few months after the very similar Korean film "The Raid: Redemption".
    • I watched it in 3D and then 2D. It's a rare case where 3D is actually better. They show the effects of the drug "Slow-Mo", which slows time down to 1% of natural speed. It's a visual treat, and there's lots of little particle effects that look great in 3D.
    • Mega-City One is a sprawling, grimy, decaying wasteland - basically a massive garbage dump. "Peach Trees" (The block of flats the film is set in) is a concrete slum, so lots to spend on blowing up things, or an entire level! Enjoyed the use of traps/tactics to try overcome being outnumbered and outgunned.
    • Dredd is a cold, hard-nosed, unprejudiced, battle-worn Judge, whilst his rookie companion is empathic, emotional, naive and unsure, and has some psychic powers. So you get the two sides of human here. I'm glad Dredd was showcased as unrelatable and almost machine-like, citing protocol. Loved Dredd's constant sh*t-smelling scowl. The two make a good team and both cause the other to have a character arc.
    • Ma-Ma is a pretty one-dimensional comic-book villain, but I enjoyed seeing Headey in the role. Not fleshing out her character means more focus is on the Dredds, so we're rooting for them, job done. It's cool to see a merciless female main villain.
    • The film is set out like a videogame: The Judges start at the bottom floor and must work their way up to the boss at level 200! Awesome.
    • This is a low-budget film ($45million) but sadly did not make even that in the box office ($41m).

Overall: If any of what I've written interests you, please see the film! It's an excellent action/comic-book film that feels very different and highly enjoyable. There's no award-winning dialogue and it's graphic violence is likely too much for some, but the film knows what it does best and does it. Definitely Recommended.

Hellraiser (1987)
    Plot: Clive Barker's adaption of his own novella, "The Hellbound Heart". A strained married couple move back into a would-be abandoned family home. There, the wife's secret lover's corpse (Frank) is partially alive and asks to bring him victims in order to make him whole again. Frank became this way after opening a puzzle box, which opens a portal for monsters ("Cenobites") to enact incredible pain and pleasure on him. It sounds siller writing it out but it's perfectly acceptable in the movie!

Thoughts on the film:
    • An Iconic horror movie and encyclopaedia of 80s horror special effects! Awesome use of physical props, costume, animatronics, puppets, prosthetic and time-lapse gore, capped off with some animation overlays. The bulk of the film shows Frank regenerating his form, muscles, skin etc to varying degrees, which is just a great prosthetic display. It's the 80s baby!
    • About the practical effects: although charming, they're are also hard to take seriously. Watching the film I marvel at how it was practically done, rather than it's place in the movie. CG wasn't a viable option and even if it was, it would've been done much worse.
    • Hated the wife (Julia), and her 80s-moussed ginger coiffe and business suit! Forlorn moping cheater, murderer - hated her character, no sympathy for her duress. Felt bad for the bread-winning, gormless, lackey husband. It explains why he's oblivious to the murder room in his house!
    • The puzzle cube is pretty cool. If this were made today they'd market that prop front and centre.
    • The hospital's treatment of the teenage daughter (Kirsty) is ridiculous. They bat away her statements of family endangerment and lock her in her room. She's not in a mental institution!
    • This film isn't really about the Cenobites, Frank is the driving force of the film. It's expounded that they are neither good nor evil, although oddly they do come across as more good (the enemy of Frank), despite looking incredibly evil. They're not prominent enough though, so even before the credits rolled I wanted to see more of them! In all there are 9 Hellraiser films. Clive Barker is only involved with this one.
    • I feel bad for the other Cenobites, only "Lead Cenobite" Pinhead is remembered! Their designs are really very unique, and grossly cool. Especially "Chattering Cenobite", he's awesome and looks like the inspiration for Resident Evil baddies.

Overall: It's such a surreal film. I don't think the story or human characters are that enjoyable, but the practical effects and monster designs are absolutely fantastic. And the Cenobites are extremely cool. So definitely watch it. But I'm sure you already have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A documentary about the making of parts 1 & 2 is coming out later this year, its one of the all time horror greats so Im really looking forward to it.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)
    Plot: Picking up from the first film, Kirsty (the daughter) works to escape a psychiatric hospital, in order to journey to the another dimension, in hopes of saving her father.

Good things about the movie:
    • I'm a big fan of sequels that continue the story right where the prior film left off. Most of the cast from the 1st film return as well.
    • They recap the first film during a Kirsty's psych evaluation - I thought it was a useful and not-hamfisted way to get the audience up to speed.
    • Julia (the mother from the first film) has a wonderful no-skin prosthetic outfit.
    • Tearing skin off regenerated bodies is a cool practical effect.
    • The new doctor Cenobite monster (and how it's form related to how he died) is pretty sweet.
    • Of course, the Cenobite prosthetics are the coolest thing about the film.
    • That's it.
    Spoilers follow:
    Trying to expound why I don't like this film, I'll need to give examples which will contain some spoilers.

Bad things about the movie:
    • The story is poor, starting with the cliched evil psychiatric doctor (who grabs a regenerating Julia's breast - never mind how she should be in pain regrowing her flesh), Julia herself is now empowered (?!) and is baffling how she could've escaped the realm of the Cenobites.
    • However those pale in comparison to the HORRENDOUS reveal about the Cenobites. The Cenobites - some of film's coolest monsters - were are actually boring humans. Not aliens from another realm, just regular Joe Blows. We see their original forms - some blonde woman, some little kid. Pinhead himself is some gormless bald lad from the army. It's a giant slap in the face. I imagine the film wanted to leave breadcrumbs for answering "they're human?! So who was actually in charge to begin with!" but not only is it not answered, seeing them in this fashion irreparably damages the franchise's best characters, in my opinion.
    • The film uses Julia and the evil doc as main villains (and sadly, not the Cenobites, again). Julia is nowhere near as hot as this film portrays her to be (although that's not her fault!)
    • Parts of this film contradict the first - First film: you opened the box, we're taking you. This film: you opened it, nah, we're looking for the one who desires it.
    • Despite some cool practical effects, there's some hokey props like the baby and toy skeletons engaging in sex.
    • The film's audio suffers from deathly quiet whispering followed by eardrum-bursting loudness.
    Major concessions to get this film made:
    • Despite the film being about finding the father, he's not in the movie. Not even some guy in a no-skin prosthetic.
    • The film was commissioned a week after the first released, and was made within a year, not by author Clive Barker, but with a new director and writer. Alarm bells should be ringing!
    • The film obviously wanted Julia to be it's figurehead (Hellraiser 2 features her as the most prominent antagonist) but the actress declined, so they changed up the final shot of the pillar to Pinhead.
    • Julia's no-skin prosthetic outfit is great, but they almost immediately bandage her up, so the actress doesn't have to wear it. Only a few scenes later they give her skin, so it was an unnecessary cop-out.

This film reminds me of Jurassic Park and it's sequel. The first was on a remote island. Thinking about the setting of a sequel, wouldn't it be cool to see dinosaurs trashing up a populated city e.g. New York? Yeah! That's what they did, but the film is absolutely terrible. In Hellraiser, they mention the Cenobites are from another world, so I hoped the sequel would show me their world - and they do! Sadly, it's just ok. Some parts were cool (a pseudo morgue with ghost cadavers) but mostly it's shot in this uninspired branching concrete corridor. The idea is far better than the execution. A small point, but I'm not a fan of adding prefixes or suffixes to film franchises either (e.g. Resident Evil: Apocalypse) - just numbers will do fine!

Overall: This film quickly shows you it's a mess. The plot is needlessly incoherent and cheap, and the focus is on the wrong characters. Even if you can explain my grievances, it's still a bad story. The cool prosthetic effects aren't close to masking the poverty of the film. Bored the arse off me. Sadly, avoid.

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)

I hated Hellraiser 2, but upon hearing Julia (Clare Higgins) refused to be the franchise's protagonist (instilling Pinhead instead) and that it was a much better film, I gave it a watch.

Plot: Pinhead has been split into two: his human self, Spencer, is trapped in limbo, whilst his completely-evil monster half is trapped in the Pillar of Souls, on Earth. TV reporter Joey Summerskill (Terry Farrell, who'd go on to be Dax in Star Trek DS9) tries to unravel the mystery. New characters are JP Monroe, a young, spoilt jerk who is running a local bar, and Terri, one of JP's naive girls.

Thoughts:
    • The story and the rules of the franchise aren't clear, it's like they're still making sense of the world they've created. It bothered me a little bit that rules of previous films are contradicted here. They do continue the need for hapless victims in order for someone to regain their vitality/escape their current form.
    • They flesh out the storyline of the two parts to Pinhead, which made me soften to this backstory (I angrily flipped out seeing the Cenobites as mundane humans in the 2nd film)
    • Even though this was released in 1992, it's distinctly 80s, from the metal band playing in a nightclub, to the fashion and practical effects. There's a metal-rock soundtrack as well as some orchestral pieces which add to the 80s effect. A catchy Motorhead song plays over the credits.
    • Great to see Pinhead take centre stage and being done with Julia (the mother from the first two). None of the other cast return, but there are references made and some recasting (the different actors are obscured by showing them on a monitor of a degraded VHS recording).
    • The explanation how Pinhead's back but not the others isn't particularly great, but they give an explanation and please accept it. As with the process of turning into a Cenobite, the process is done away with, it's really just "whatever, we needed 3 more cool-looking monsters". Pinhead does refer to them as inferior to his previous crew, which I appreciated.
    • Pinhead now has more powers on earth than previously, he can now command more than just chains. The explosion/fire scene around town was pretty cool and looked expensive, but also out of place.
    • The split between Pinhead and 'Spencer', making Pinhead completely evil makes sense but I found the Spencer scenes to be entirely forgettable.
    • JP goes from spoilt douchebag to completely evil quite quickly but it's enjoyable.
    • Despite not a huge amount happening, I enjoyed Joey and Terri's interaction (she's one of JP's girls). Joey offers for her to stay but when she bolts, she leaves the apartment in a dump (like as if a squatter was living there.) This annoyed me way more than it should have.
    • It's hilariously obvious that the bartender is part of the production crew (he was the writer)
    • There's a few intentional groaner one-liners, e.g. killing a man via a videocamera and saying "time for your close-up!". There's also some parts that look just to be made for the trailer/posters (like when Pinhead cheesily poses in front of an altar). He parodies bible verses which was quite shocking, I imagine this got a LOT of backlash. ("This is my body, This is my blood...Happy are they who come to my supper.")
    • The physical & stop motion effects are a highlight as always, but the more 'modern' effects (screen-wiping, digital-head warping) look pretty naff.
    • The new Cenobite outfits are really very cool and inventive, always a real positive of these films. They also smack of 80s since they incorporate 'new' technologies (CDs, video cameras etc.)

Overall, a large improvement on the second, not a great film but an easy watch. I'd worry it's becoming a parody like Freddy with the one-liners, but is enjoyable. Two steps back in the right direction.

Hellraiser 4: Bloodline (1996)

Plot: The film is set in three timeframes, past (France), present (America), and future (Space), chronicling the puzzle box's creator and his descendants. This film is the last to involve author Clive Barker, the last to be shown in theatres, and the last to keep chronology with the previous films.

Thoughts on the film:
    18th Century FRANCE: The puzzle box's creator (Philip Lemarchand) discovers it's to be used for dark magic and tries to retrieve it. This was the strongest/mosting interesting part of the film, with it's period setting and archaic methods (sacrificing, conjuring)
    20th Century AMERICA: A Cenobite slave (Angelique) finds Lemarchand's only living descendant (John Merchant), who along with Hellraiser aims to open/close a doorway to hell. This is the meat of the film, and it's quite unmemorable.
    Futuristic 2127 SPACE: Their descendant (Paul Merchant) has the puzzle box in Space Station Minos, and is captured by guards, and tells the preceding two stories before the film's finale. This setting, oh man. It feels like the franchise is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's impossible to not see it - the film takes from much better sci-film films/TV shows (Aliens' corridor set, Terminator - even has twin cops, Red Dwarf; there's a guy named Rimmer!) They use naff-looking CG robot hands working on the puzzle box, and embarrassingly dated CG Power Gloves! However the warping effect used is improved from last time.
    • Unfortunately the story is quite laboured and not presented clearly - motivations and tropes changed to suit as required, I felt it damaged immersion. Like Hellraiser 3 made a big hoopla about Cenobites needing someone to give them the cube - not in this film.
    • Even though the space portion is pretty lame, I appreciate more exposition/lore/the origins of the franchise.
    • Hopping between time-frames (especially space and 18th century France) is quite jarring. It's like the film felt like none of these stories were worth a full film. The camera moves themselves were a stylish improvement. (eg guards looking around a corner with a flashlight, seamlessly transitioned to a scene with Pinhead).
    • More re-writing of the rules of the franchise, which I hate. "If you summon a demon you command them, unless you get in hell's way". Pinhead informs Angelique that Hell has revised it's ideologies. PARDON? Was there a committee meeting with notepads and pens?
    • Pinhead is now complete evil (despite the ending of Hellraiser 3), delighting in inflicting pain.
    • He now has a hellhound, which is a cool idea, but the rubber animatronic puppet is not good. The running CG dog actually looked more convincing - stick to just casting a shadow.
    • Women seducing men to follow them is a nice call-back to the first film
    • Nudity watch: Hellraiser 3 had scaled back nudity (sex, man grabbing/covering breasts), this has breasts shown but in a darkened room
    • Less cheesy 1-liners, but we there's contradicting ones, ostensibly just to sound cool. Pinhead says "Oh it is a game and you will play." and then later "No time for games."
    • Flashlights have awful battery life in the present & future! Security guards and swat team both run empty in the film. (I'm sure it's just a cheap horror trope to increase tension)
    • If Paul Merchant wanted results he should've said "I captured an alien and it's deadly", he wouldn't have had to be detained tell the backstory! Ha, just a nitpick but that portion goes for some big stoic gravitas but falls on it's face.

Overall: Beyond the new Cenobite outfits and seeing the origin of the box, there's few laudable aspects and many overarching problems: The story is convoluted, poorly presented and plainly just isn't that good. There's not much gore to distract you either. It's 3 below-average mini-films that were hog-tied together. Not recommended. Such a shame as the France portion could made for a great flick by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

4 was really bad! , I really liked liked Hellraiser 5 , i think was 3rd best movie in the series

Good to hear! It's next on the list. This waiting for a film that features Pinhead/Cenobites primarily - or maybe it's for the best (like Episode 1-3 didn't do the character of Darth Vader any favours!)

Hellraiser 5: Inferno (2000)
    Plot: Joseph Thorne (Craig Sheffer) is an adept but crooked Detective. He steals crime scene money to cheat on his wife with prostitutes, and blackmails his partner into covering for him. He takes evidence (the lament configuration puzzle box) from the police station, and here we go!

Thoughts on the film:
    • Much like American Pie, this franchise has lived on to this day outside of the cinema. This is the first of 5 direct-to-DVD movies.
    • This is not a Hellraiser film: it doesn't look, feel or progress like part of the franchise. It's not a supernatural prosthetics/gore-fest, it's a psychological thriller, an entirely different thrust than prior entries. There's no nudity and the Cenobites serve the story as a nightmare-entities rather than Hellraiser's minions.
    • It does feel as if they made the film and later bought the rights to Hellraiser and added bits in. In the first 80 minutes, we see Pinhead for 3 seconds; 3 scenes in the whole film. I wasn't surprised to find out that the studio (Dimenson films) re-purposed another film's script into the franchise. (They would do the same for Hellraiser 6 and 7).
    • Surprisingly, this film has the best plot of the series! Thorne tries to solve the case whilst repeatedly suffering from nasty hallucinations which serve as deadly premonitions. His current case involves a murderer called "The Engineer", who has kidnapped a child and is killing people whom Thorne knows.
    • The film makes sense internally and successfully explains itself, so it's easy to take the movie on it's own merits, rather than comparing tropes/rules laid down by prior entries.
    • This is quite a cheap-looking film made on a straight-to-DVD budget. The Lighting, dialogue etc screams "TV movie". There's a shot of Pinhead and it looks like just some dude in a Pinhead costume.
    • Acting isn't great but the film tries to go beyond these constraints. The psychiatrist is played by James Remar, at the time I knew as Mortal Kombat Annihilation's budget-cut Raiden, who later played Dexter's Dad in Dexter.
    • New burn-victim Cenobites are very cool, they remind me partly of Resident Evil's lickers and Nemesis.
    • It was a clever visual idea for the Detective to come across a cowboy poker game (as their faces are obscured by the hats in a dimly lit room, looking for a faceless monster among them) but it isn't pulled off well, ending with two asian cowboy goons.
    • It culminates in a warped childhood 'house' where he confronts the victims and monsters, leading to the big revelation at the end. It was definitely the best part of the film.
    • Thorne's child has 3 lines in the film and is awful. "When are you coming home daddy?"
    • I thought when the hallucination of his mother saying "don't bring your gun" (and Thorne bringing a gun anyway) would result in an unfortunate accident.
    • The transition from human to becoming Pinhead could've been extremely cool (pins being pushed out of his skin on his head), but it's mosty lame transitiony CGI.
    • Pinhead is more of a being of preachy, twisted logic, rather than a facilitator of sensory pain/pleasure of the first 2 films, and abject evil of the prior 2. Whereas it's usually about physical torture, this is mental torture.
    • I won't spoil it but the ending revelation makes complete sense, is smart, and the film stands by itself.

Overall: If you can get past the low budget TV-movie feel of it, it's actually a good film with the best plotline of the franchise so far. It's not a gory prosthetics-fest, think of it as a psychological thriller that happens to have Pinhead in it.

• Advertisement

Hellraiser 6: Hellseeker (2002)

This is the first of three Hellraiser Direct-to-DVD films directed by Rick Bota, written mainly by Carl Dupre & Tim Day and produced by Ron Schmidt. They were all released between 2002-2005.

Plot: After recklessly causing his car to crash into a river, Trevor Gooden (Dean Winters) survives whilst his wife disappears entirely. Shockingly, his wife is Kirsty Cotton (Ashley Laurence) from the first two films! Much like the last entry into the franchise, Trevor has vivid hallucinations; mostly women throwing themselves at him with morbid consequences. These visions get increasingly frequent and we question whether the murders happened or are in his head. Inter-spliced are trips to the police station, flashbacks of his wife and obtaining the box, as detectives uncover the disappearance and Trevor's memory slowly returns.

Thoughts on the film:
    • Reality or not, dude has ladies tripping all over him; whether it's his hot boss wanting sex, the next door neighbour strip-teasing or his masseuse straddling him. Nice.
    • Nudity watch: There are brief flashes of breasts.
    • There's a cool sequence where Trevor denies his boss sex. With the camcorder still recording, it still shows them on the TV (despite her having left already). He even puts his hand in front of the camera, the hand being superimposed over them, before she gets killed by Cenobites. Pretty cool. It's very odd to see her asphyxiated with a plastic bag (that is not Cenobyte M.O.) but it makes sense by the end of the film.
    • There is more Pinhead in the film and a reason for him being around, although nearly not enough! There's an extended revelation scene where Pinhead and Kirsty talk more about her family, joining the films together. It really should have been included.
    Links to Hellraiser 5: The characteristic black tongues appear as a parasite that Trevor coughs up. Again on earth, the Cenobites are the stalking men in faceless masks and suits. The film also has a similar tormented hallucination storyline.
    Links to the franchise: The idea of being split into two (good and evil) is brought up, like the two halves of pinhead from Hellraiser 2. Pinhead is back to being a purveyor of intense sensory experiences, and also a keeper of souls. The Cenobites don't get enough screen time (again).
    • The closing explanation/revelation is riddled with plot holes but I enjoyed it, even if Dean Winters' acting whilst in chains & excruciating pain is so deadpan it's hilarious. They show some old and new Cenobites in the classic chain room, which is really appreciated.

Spoiler thoughts:
    • It's contrived that even though Pinhead has journeyed and waited specifically to get Kirsty's soul -she's special-, but immediately is happy to trade it for 5 randomers.
    • The ending revelation/explanation is needlessly convoluted and raises more questions. The husband plotted to kill Kirsty? She still went ahead with opening the box anyway? Also why would Kirsty decide to kill people all directly linked to her husband (and her!)?
    • I assume Pinhead's door to earth is always open for now, because otherwise when Kirsty gets back to earth to get the souls, there'd be nothing to stop her reneging on her deal.

Overall: Hellraiser 6 comes off as a less intelligent version of Hellraiser 5, but it feels much more like a Hellraiser film (and not just another script re-written to be in this franchise). It's an easy, casual watch but I wouldn't bother. I am optimistic having Kirsty Cotton back though...See you for Hellraiser 7? No, she never returns, sadly.

Hellraiser 7: Deader (2005)

The first of two Hellraiser films released in 2005! It was shot back to back with Hellraiser: Hellworld (which was released 3 months later).

Plot: Reporter Amy Klein (Kari Wührer) is sent to Romania to investigate and write an article on the "Deaders", a cult centred around death and immediate resurrection.

Thoughts on the film:
    • Like the prior 2 films, after encountering the box, the protagonist has twisted, dangerous hallucinations. Like the detective in Hellraiser 5, she's on the case to discover what's happening with herself and the bigger situation.
    • As it's a straight to DVD film, it's budget is low and the interesting effects are kept brief, sometimes to just flashes.
    • Even though it was produced by Stan Winston, there's very little reverence for prosthetic effects here. The Cenobites spend about 5 seconds on screen in total (not appearing until over an hour into the movie). Huge mistake.
    • Her boss tells her "Amsterdam is so 90s", which is funny since that scene has 90s-sounding music and it looks like a 90s film!
    • We're introduced to Deaders via an amateur snuff film, which has also been carefully edited with reaction shots, zooms etc. Hilarious! I think this kind of introduction is cool though. Oddly, the 'searching' music at 18 minutes directly rips off 2002's The Ring.
    • Nudity watch: Breasts (both the protagonist and female extras) and full male nudity on a dishevelled train carriage. It's grimy and not attractive, it seems it's there just to be edgy and to gain a higher certificate.
    • First time encountering a Netflix film that doesn't have subtitles! It also suffers from poor audio levelling - whispering dialogue and sudden loud bangs.
    • Sadly the horror here is the lame "shock horror" jump scares (telephone rings, jolts, turn around AGHwhoareyou!).
    • There are many long periods spent in hallucinations with multiple fake-outs. By the end, you've checked out because nothing is real. This is interspliced with flashbacks to Amy's abusive past. The end product is a movie that spends almost all it's time not actually in the film, but rather in backstory and asides...that's not good.
    • The meat of the plot is lumped together in the final few minutes (which is far too late). There are a few lines at the end try tying it to franchise history (i.e. the cult leader is the descendant of LeMarchand) but is a bit wobbly.
    • True to form, Pinhead's reasons and rules change from film to film: Here, whoever opens the box, he owns your soul. But not right now, when you die.
    • The ending sequence with Amy makes no sense, it just wraps up the film. Jaysus!

Nitpicks:
    • Is it too much to ask for an actress to hold her breath for a few seconds while they film her? "Dead" Marla is clearly breathing normally in multiple shots.
    • There's a train carriage permanently inhabited by miscreants, I don't buy for a second that it could exist on a public metro funded by the government! It does however make for a more visually interesting meeting place. (If they never existed then great!)
    • Pinhead's put on a little weight. It was noticeable in the last film but his double chin is very obvious here.
    • The placement of Amy's wound moves from her heart to her stomach (the latter having relevance to her past). If you were stabbed through the spine you certainly wouldn't walk it off! She tapes a rolled up towel over it, couldn't help but laugh. Very movie logic: It's odd that stabbing in the heart you're grand, but stabbing in the stomach is instant death.

Overall: It's an average TV-movie converted into the Hellraiser franchise. Noticeable concessions thanks to a low budget and a poor story. Technically there's gore, Cenobites and nudity, but it's all very boring. Avoid!

Hellraiser 8: Hellworld (2005)

Filmed back to back with Hellraiser 7 and released the same year.
    This is another re-purposed script (the short story "Dark Can't Breathe" by Joel Soisson) with it's monsters swapped out and rejiggered into part of the Hellraiser franchise.

Plot: Chelsea (Katheryn Winnick) and her group of Pinhead fans go to a secret Hellraiser mansion party, hosted by an unnamed man (Lance Henriksen). Their friend Adam died following his addiction to the online Hellraiser-themed videogame "Hellworld". The film takes place during the party (basically a club setting) as the friends split up and explore the mansion/try get laid.

Thoughts on the film:
    • I mentioned Pinhead fans. Yes, like in the Scream franchise, the characters are aware of the Hellraiser films! I think it's a cool gimmick. Unfortunately it doesn't explain how Hellraiser films exist in a world where Pinhead actually exists!
    • It's surreal seeing Hellraiser portrayed as a commerical entity (a Pinhead t-shirt, giant ornamental puzzle box, website games etc) and hearing them iterate the rules ("I'm not scared of Cenobites. I didn't even open the lament configuration box!") Even when confronted with death, Chelsea starts arguing with her predicament, listing out the tropes of the franchise. Highly enjoyed that.
    • Same general gimmick since film 5, where the protagonists get disturbing, disorienting hallucinations. Feels pretty played out this time around.
    • Although released in 2005, this film feels like it was written in the 90s, complete with obtrusive generic rock music cheapening any suspense: When the men see breasts, Derrick quips "Gratuitous tit shot!" Allison sees a KEEP OUT sign, and proclaims "Yeah right. As if!" and goes in anyway. Further dating the film, they use Nokia 3310s! Well at least it'll survive a trip to hell and after thousands of years it'll still be on half battery :o
    • Chelsea seems nice and is pretty, although is generally clueless. Jake blames the group for Adam's death, and is a stroppy, condescending prat in the movie. It's perfectly expounded here when he's seemingly in a room with ghosts and whines "why are you all ignoring me?" ...Why would he be at the Hellworld party? Ah, he met a girl on an online chat forum, has no idea what she looks like but she's here.
    • I was a little upset that Pinhead was killing people with actual physical objects (eg a meat cleaver) but thankfully Cenobites use the classic chains/hooks. In this, Pinhead just wants to inflict pain (i.e. he's plain evil).
    • We get to see the "Banded Cenobite" (black tape covering his eyes and mouth) and the Chatterer Cenobite (named "Melted Face Cenobite" in the film) which are cool. Oddly Chelsea's dead friends come back as, well, dead friends, as opposed to Cenobites (which you'd expect and would've been far cooler)
    • I really appreciated Chelsea calling the cops, the cops arriving, and how they're sent away. Something you don't see enough in films. If I were her I would've smashed the window to get attention (even if it wouldn't have helped in her situation)
    • The "goodbye, assh*le" line and roundhouse kick is so cheesy.
    • The revelation at the end was interesting and satisfactory, even if the time frame is a little off. (A group drug-induced hallucination via Sodium Mannitol...which is non-hallucinogenic! It's used to lower intercranial pressure after head trauma, and illegally used to cut heroin). The Host set this all up, so he made a wildly popular videogame? How could he input the invitations to Hellworld into the game otherwise?

Overall: The acting, effects, little gore, there's nothing truly bad about it - it's just no good. I enjoyed the idea of the characters being aware of the Hellraiser films and it's many endings but it's a cheap, straight-to-DVD movie. The tagline "Evil Goes Online." should give you an idea. Avoid.

Hellraiser 9: Revelations (2011)

The Final Hellraiser! (For now)

Plot: Besties Steven and Nico (and their handheld camera) head to party in Mexico, and come across puzzle box. A year later, their families cope with their disappearance.

Thoughts on the film:
    • There'd been talk of the original Hellraiser being remade for years, but this is an "ashcan copy", i.e. a film solely produced to keep the rights of the franchise (like 1994's Fantastic Four or The Amazing Spider-Man). The entire script/shoot/post-production happened under 3 months. Incredible. It was shown in one theatre, once, for the crew and open to the public!
    • Pinhead is played by a different actor for the first time ever in the franchise (Stephan Smith Collins and not Doug Bradley). Very weird to see it and didn't bode well for the quality of the film, that Bradley would turn down the paycheque.
    • Despite those massive warning signs, I enjoyed the film. There are elements of the film that directly pay homage to the first, which is great to see.
    • Hellraiser 9 splices between filling in the backstory in Mexico (via mostly handheld found footage) and present day (with regular camerawork). One of them returns in Act 2, where the film turns into more like a home invasion setup.
    • The film is 70 minutes long (73 with credits). Holy sh**! Obviously a concession as it was an original script made start to finish in a matter of weeks. Despite that, the pacing is fine, and I enjoyed the long ending sequence with pinhead.
    • The dialogue/actions can be quite wobbly in places. There's a lot of "why don't we talk about it? Ugh I don't wanna talk about it!" ways to end a scene. Also they leave their son out of their sight often, despite their missing son returning after a year and believing someone dangerous is outside.
    • Nico needs to be made whole again (by killing people and stealing their essence), a great callback. In terms of not getting caught, I thought it was much smarter to murder prostitutes in a third world country, rather than luring businessmen in local bars in America (in the original).
    • Nico kills and literally steals their skin (as opposed to growing it back) - it's a cool twist, even if contradicts the rest of the franchise and the practically of doing so.
    • There's a scene where the siblings kiss. The Lannisters sent their regards!
    • Cenobites: Great to see Chatterer and the dominatrix Cenobite back.
    • Pinhead returns as the original purveyor of sensory experiences (which is great), although this time the Cenobites "want to experience your flesh" i.e. they enjoy the torture.
    • It's quite low budget ($300k) so concessions are made, special effects are sometimes obscured or just for short scenes. It does look better than most Direct-to-DVD entries though.
    • The film has been universally panned (Clive Barker tweeted "the flic out there using the word Hellraiser IS NO ****IN' CHILD OF MINE!") but I think that's because people knew this was a slap-dashed film born out of litigious reasons as opposed to any type of creative drive.

Overall: I've said a lot of negative things here but it's a short 70 minute film, the story is interesting and moves along at a good pace. I enjoyed the callbacks to the original Hellraiser and a longer scene with Pinhead. It is entirely skippable but I found it the best since Hellraiser 5. Don't seek it out but if it's on TV, give it a watch.

^
    Not even seen that one, I don't think I will lol, I hated the Hellworld as much as I hated Halloween 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I had no idea there were so many of them! Next time I have a few days off I might go through the good ones.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I had no idea there were so many of them! Next time I have a few days off I might go through the good ones.

Ha, I'd recommend 1-3-5 and skip the rest. 5 has a good story if you can pardon the straight-to-DVD movie feel of it :)

Hellraiser Overview (1987-2011)

Thoughts on the franchise:
    • There are 9 films total: 4 Theatrical releases; and 5 Straight to DVD releases (1 praised, 3 re-purposed scripts in 3 years, and 1 made for copyright-holding reasons)
    • Despite the iconic Pinhead, Hellrasier is the lowest box-office grossing US horror franchise around ($84m total, the original bringing in the most; $14.6m)
    Hellraiser 1: The original and best. Hellraiser (1987) is an adaption of Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart, and the only film with him writing and directing.
    Hellraiser 2: Kirsty goes to hell. Julia Cotton was the focus but walked out on the franchise afterwards, making the film a mess, nevermind the poor script and horrendous Cenobites-were-humans reveal. My least favourite of the franchise.
    Hellraiser 3: Pinhead's split into 2. Less original cast return with each sequel - by HR3 it's just Pinhead left. An improvement on 2, but takes more of an action/light-hearted route with cheesy one-liners ala Freddy.
    Hellraiser 4: 3 mini-stories strung together. 1 is actually good, 1 is passable, 1 is laughable.
    Hellraiser 5: Crooked Detective. The first of the Straight to DVD films is surprisingly good (albeit low budget) film, although it feels like it is: a re-purposed script of something with a completely different feel and ideology than Hellraiser.
    Hellraiser 6: Car crash, wife missing, man has amnesia. Avoid.
    Hellraiser 7: The Deaders in Romania. Avoid.
    Hellraiser 8: Hellraiser: The Videogame: The House Party. Avoid.
    Hellraiser 9: Handheld in Mexico, one son returns home. Despite being an ashcan copy, it's surprisingly decent! Hopefully with more time, The Weinstein Company can produce a proper theatrical remake pf the original.

Tropes of the film:
    Pinhead: Leader of the Cenobites. His motivations varies in each film, whether it's a purveyor of intense sensory experiences or outright evil sadomasochist. The franchise focuses on physical torture, whilst 5-8 focus on psychological horror (weakening your mental state) before Pinhead arrives.
    The lament configuration puzzle box: summons opens the door from Hell to Earth. The rules change per film (whoever opens it is taken, it can only be taken by who wants it, oh actually it can, I'll leave you alone unless you get in Hell's way, and you can bargain your soul for others).
    Cenobites: Pinhead's gang of monsters. HR 1-4, a constant treat was seeing the new types of Cenobites. In #2 it's shown that their grotesque appearance is related to their death, which is very cool. Pinhead and the Cenobites are only in each film for a few minutes, so every time you don't get your fill (apart from #9, the shortest film, funnily enough.)
    Filthy hobo: Throughout the franchise, a filthy hobo (Derelict, The Puzzle Guardian) passes the box onto new people and saves it from being destroyed if need be. I never knew his name or focused on him.
    Pillar of Souls: New souls get put here. It's a pretty cool prop.
    Regeneration: If you escape the Cenobites realm to where you died, you can slowly regenerate by feeding off the death of freshly-killed people. It's a great reason to show off some wonderful prosthetics and stop motion effects.
    Physical torture (1-4, 9) and Psychological torture (5-8). The shift in focus on no-longer-in-cinema Hellrasier 5 is a large departure from established ideas.

Reasons to watch a Hellraiser film:
    A gore-fest
    A gore-fest, that utilises mostly practical (i.e. not CG) effects. The original is by far the superior entry. Seeing humans torn into pieces by multiple hooks is always fun to see.
    Pinhead and the Cenobites: amongst the very coolest monsters in all of film.
    The prosthetics (Cenobites, regeneration) are always a highlight.
    Same story, different people: Seeing how new characters come across and react to the puzzle box, as well as who gets killed/taken.
    The ending explanation/revelation: Pinhead's appearance for the ending is generally the peak of the film.

Overall, 3 are worth watching: 1, 3 and 5. Personally ranking quality: 1>3>5>9>4>6-7-8>2. Despite mostly sub-par films, the lure of gore, practical effects and the Cenobites kept me watching.

Oculus (2014)

Plot: Directed by Mike Flanagan, starring Karen Gillan (Amy from Doctor Who) as Kaylie, who believes an old mirror is responsible for her family tragedy. She convinces her brother to help prove the existence of and overcome the malevolent being that resides within it.

Thoughts on the film:
    • The film is partially funded by WWE, but thankfully they had no wrestlers in this, as it's a decent horror film! There is one sole reference - the mirror is from the Levesque house (the surname of WWE's Triple H aka Paul Levesque).
    • The movie is shot in two parallel time frames, both in their family home: Current day with Kaylie and Tim in their 20s, trying to draw the being out, and 11 years ago with the two as children, showing the horrific events leading to their parents' death.
    • The two stories are slickly intertwined, filling in the backstory whilst mirroring events (sorry) in the current. This includes many seemless camera transitions between the two (eg Kaylie walks up the stairs whilst the young Tim walks down the steps, and we follow him now). It is jarring at first but as you settle into the film you can just enjoy it.
    • The past story establishes tropes of the film: plants wither around the mirror, it can cause sensory-manipulation leading to self-harm/delusion, and it's expanded on in current day (Kaylie sees a shattered plate, but refutes it as her camera phone sees nothing).
    • It's a dangerous game, but the film does a great job keeping you unsure of whether it's real or an illusion, or whether what they see or the camera is showing is false. This gimmick fell apart in Hellraiser 7 & 8, but it works very well here.
    • Tension is effectively built up and it doles out jump scares mixed with actual (unexpected) scary moments. I loved the "something's moving in the mirror, look behind you" moments. There's the annoying "let's creep up on you and grab your shoulder" lazy jumps but they don't detract much.
    • Kicking off Act II, Kaylie lays out the rest of the film (to draw said spectre out and hopefully end it). I enjoyed the history/exposition of the being, her extra precautions and built-in fail-safes she put in place before starting. (Her boyfriend must ring her on the hour and call the police if she doesn't answer, separate power sources, multiple cameras)
    • In something that can only happen in TV/film, when confronted with supernatural vs a more grounded explanation (simply a bad marriage gone wrong) it's gratifying to see proof that yes, it is the supernatural, in your face!

Nit picks:
    • Why is the film called Oculus ("Eye" in Latin) when it's about a mirror? (i.e. it should be "Speculum" then!) Although there's some visual deception and ghosts show up with freaky mirrored eyes.
    • Tim is released from St. Aidan's Mental Facility. There are no "mental facilities" - they're called psychiatric hospitals and specifically leave out names that denote it as that type of hospital. (I'm sure it was to visually hammer home his backstory)
    • We get almost no information on the being (apart from I assume is the ghost of a woman named Marisol). If this film gets a sequel we'll surely hear about it.
    • Kaylie had many different devices to record but only had one plan to break the mirror. It felt she didn't expect to be right on this one!These are nitpicks remember!

Overall: I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film and how effective it was cutting between two concurrent storylines about the same people. Good stuff. Recommended.

• Advertisement

^^^^
    I loved that movie, it was fun watch, l loved how messing you around, loved how they blended the scenes together.

For the first time years after the movie ended, I actually wanted see again on the same day!

I can not wait for this to come on DVD!

Advertisement