Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transgender women stoned in Germany

1789101113»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

Forget Right Wing or Left Wing stuff.

This about protecting human beings, women, children and men from attacks in the open because people are not willing to accept them for who they are or they can be treated like meat.

Ian O'Doherty summed it up well in his column.
    Does anyone - and I mean anyone - not feel outrage that Western women are now expected to conform to the social mores of backward 'cultures' simply for their own safety?

We've seen similar developments in Sweden, Denmark and Finland and now asylum seekers in Sweden are to be given lessons teaching them not to rape.

I really don't care what desert hell hole you've come from, if you need to be educated in the fine art of not raping people, then Europe is better off without you.

Perhaps the laziest cliché is how the 'far right' is stoking racial tensions. Not true - racial tensions are being stoked by mass sexual assaults.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ian-odoherty/ian-odoherty-the-lessons-europe-is-learning-way-too-late-34365639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Is it a sign of getting old when I start agreeing with Ian O'Doherty articles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

crybaby wrote: »

No it's a sign of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

crybaby wrote: »

No its just a sign that youve copped on a bit.

Ever since I signed onto boards 2010/11 I was always gob smacked by the naivety of a lot of the posters. So much so that I put my location as a tongue in cheek gesture. THe thing is I detest the right just as much, but as least with the far right you know what you are getting.

There are posters here that seem to have their tongues stuck up each others holes, the funny thing is they think themselves worldly and traveled, and blah blah blah. ad in reality they have the life experience of a goldfish in a pet shop.

Now the difference I see.....people are starting to question. And thats what I like to see. Questions thats all. You dont have to agree with me on everything but just ask questions.

And the best question you can ever ask is who benefits? and one other simple bit of advice, follow the money.
    Once those are answered its easy to come up with an answer.

Life is very simple if you step away from the keyboard and take a look around every once in a while, also, never surround yourself with people that think the same as you and agree with you on everything..... remember the goldfish analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kupus wrote: »

There are posters here that seem to have their tongues stuck up each others holes, the funny thing is they think themselves worldly and traveled, and blah blah blah. ad in reality they have the life experience of a goldfish in a pet shop.

So you can judge a persons world and life experience on the strength of whether or not they agree with you. By jaysus, that's deep.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    So you can judge a persons world and life experience on the strength of whether or not they agree with you. By jaysus, that's deep.

about as deep as a supporter of a baby murdering terrorist group. im sure slab murphy is a grand fella.

I judge people on how they can act outside their comfort zone nad whether they surround themselves with yes men. plain and simple.

about as deep as a supporter of a baby murdering terrorist group. im sure slab murphy is a grand fella..

And behold, the dual purposed Ad hominem/Red herring remark.
    I judge people on how they can act outside their comfort zone nad whether they surround themselves with yes men. plain and simple.

Again- how would you know? This is a text based message board. Unless you actually know the person in real life, and I mean know them well, not in passing, you've no way of telling. Unless of course you resort to the "they don't agree with me therefore...." method.

And behold, the dual purposed Ad hominem/Red herring remark.
    Ok Ill take that back and shouldnt have siad it. Sorry.

but coming from you thats a compliment:p shure your the king of deflecting threads.
    Ill edit it out if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Until Islam has a "Vatican II" style reshuffle, its dogma is incompatible with a western lifestyle. The punishment for apostasy is still death ffs.

Now, for the record, Islam =/= Muslim people.

I cannot see that happening in the next 50/70 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

DISTORT the problem..... right wingers didnt like trans before this, why now
    I share the concerns people have about the sexual assaults and islamic fundamentalism in general, but just on the above point: if a person who is trans sees people making derogatory comments about trans people/being complacent about the experiences trans people have to put up with in general, and then, not long after, the same people expressing concern for the trans woman this thread is about, it's understandable for a trans person to view this as pretty dishonest and hollow.

• Advertisement

I cannot see that happening in the next 50/70 years.

Given that there is no church establishment and thus no "Vatican", its actually a non-starter of a notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Given that there is no church establishment and thus no "Vatican", its actually a non-starter of a notion.
    Absolutely true and as such its dogma will continue to be at odds with western secularism. This issue can only be perpetuated or resolved by its adherents.

Absolutely true and as such its dogma will continue to be at odds with western secularism. This issue can only be perpetuated or resolved by its adherents.

...millions live in the west and seem to get on fine.

...millions live in the west and seem to get on fine.

And as long as they continue to ignore some of the core tenets of their faith they will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

And as long as they continue to ignore some of the core tenets of their faith they will continue to do so.

Also true of Christians, to be fair. Islam hardly has the monopoly on crazy.

Oh 100% I agree. However, Christianity does not call for those who leave the religion to be put to death for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Oh 100% I agree. However, Christianity does not call for those who leave the religion to be put to death for example.

The catholic church deal with that issue a different way, they just won't let you leave.

Whosthis wrote: »
    The catholic church deal with that issue a different way, they just won't let you leave.
    Yep, utterly outrageous but ultimately laughable. A death sentence is quite another matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Certainly, though even the briefest of study of the basics of theology, philosophy and early history of both faiths shows quite large differences. IMH those that compare the two as if that's an argument have studied neither to any degree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

As the youngest of the major Abrahamic religions, Islam has more to prove. Let's say that Islam is 500 years younger than Christianity.... What were Christians doing in the 1500s?....yeah, scary stuff. So if we imagine for arguments sake that Islam is at a similar stage of "development" (bear with me) then it would make sense that Islam is at a more committed, passionate and literal time in its life. Hence it stands to reason that it's dogma will be at odds with western secular society which is essentially based on a lapsed and flabby Christianity which has exhausted itself of fire and brimstone.

• Advertisement

Yep, utterly outrageous but ultimately laughable. A death sentence is quite another matter.

I think it should be quite obvious that I didn't intend the two to be comparable

Whosthis wrote: »
    I think it should be quite obvious that I didn't intend the two to be comparable
    You're right, it should be.

You're right, it should be.

Zzz, predictable post is predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

In terms of today, comparing catholic fanaticism with islamic fanaticism is not really comparing like with like. Both extremist takes on their respective dogmas but in terms of the acts that are carried out, and the numbers willing to carry these out, they are not comparable.

I'm not a practising catholic, or religious at all, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-This has gone way off topic and is no longer about the opening post.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement