Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

let's try something different...mother's day card.

• 14-03-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

It's something that just struck me. I've never made a card with LaTeX. Considering just about everything else I've done through LaTeX looks lovely. I think I'm going to give this a shot. Anyone got any tips or recommendations on what packages and stuff to use?

Even if this ends in total failure I have a regular card plus gifts on standby anyway.:)

For the purposes of tonight this may sorta be a log thread. Hopefully the mods are ok with that. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

According to google the only package I can see to use is gcard. So that's where it begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Turtwig wrote: »
    According to google the only package I can see to use is gcard. So that's where it begins.
    I was expecting you'd have to write your own so that's a start at least.

Yeah, it's a very basic package but it's definitely better than nothing. This is definitely though going to be a case of me forcing LaTeX to produce what I want rather than it deciding what I need. Still though that's a start. :)

This blog post was very helpful: http://berhin.blogspot.ie/2008/05/latex-greeting-cards-new-and-improved.html

Ok, I kind of have a single fold card. Kinddd off. It's a bit difficult visualising the damn thing until it's printed. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's something that just struck me. I've never made a card with LaTeX. Considering just about everything else I've done through LaTeX looks lovely. I think I'm going to give this a shot. Anyone got any tips or recommendations on what packages and stuff to use?

Even if this ends in total failure I have a regular card plus gifts on standby anyway.:)

For the purposes of tonight this may sorta be a log thread. Hopefully the mods are ok with that. :)
    PGF/TIKZ is pretty good for making pretty designs what the ladies do often sometimes like and such. For example:

mandala.pngpoppy.png

More examples (with code) here: http://www.texample.net/tikz

• Advertisement

Yeah rather like Tikz actually. Bit out of practice with it now. :o

One strong piece of advice to everyone. Is to keep every modification to the packages .sty's logged. Don't just save different versions, make a note of each change you made. I failed to do this initially and it was rather confusing trying to figure out what did what. Aside from major brute force and tweaking I haven't really been successful as yet in generating a one fold card that has more than one layer to it i.e A backcover and a frontcover. Images overlapping is also a bit of a problem.

I'll try again later on this evening. :)

Made a bit more headway with this evening. The positioning is still being too forced for my likening. Pictures are still going way off the folds- and then some. Whatever about making an acceptable card, my mental origami is getting much much better. :pac:

Advertisement