Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Document classes

• 07-07-2011 7:15pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Does anyone actually use any of the other ones apart from article? I did use Book for my thesis and Report for a handful of documents up and down. It's only recently I've discovered some of the handier ones like exam and letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I use amsart (American Mathematical Society article) most often: good for articles with mathematics and nicer defaults than article. I use letter sometimes and I use the memoir class for a substantial document: it's like book, but with lots of bells and whistles. I hadn't heard of the exam class, but it looks like it might be really useful to me, thank you!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I use the Koma-script letter class a lot (as in, for every letter I write). I've done some documentation with the book class, and I know I've used report in the past. The moderncv class produces a very pretty CV.

The memoir class looks nice, I reckon I'll get some use out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I've used the IEEEtran class which is pretty much the standard for Maths/Engineering papers. I've also tried using the beamer class for presentations, but I honestly think it's more trouble than it's worth - I don't really see the advantages over, say, the article class for putting together a pdf presentation, particularly if, like me, you don't want your slides clogged up with unnecessary headers and footers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've used IEEEtran as well, but I only found it useful for doing a fully formatted version. When I've used the "for review" mode it's always more hassle than just article.

Forgot, I also use sciposter - very handy, but there's at least another poster class as well that I don't know the name of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Red Alert wrote: »
    Forgot, I also use sciposter - very handy...
    Ooooooh, that could be useful. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I normally use the memoir class, since it makes customisation easier. It can also mimic the standard classes, e.g. when called as \documentclass[article]{memoir} it will behave like the article class. For job applications I have used the letter class and for my CV I use the moderncv class. I haven't published in any journal yet, so I haven't used any of the journal specific classes.

Advertisement