Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mr Proper and Mr Sheen will be next in line for this makeover, mark my words.

Yeah only women use them so ..

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its driving a wedge between ye.
    To be honest I think he has a chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Honestly, what is the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Isn't decadence, moral vacuum and truth/fact/evidence denial considered the final stage of civilisation before collapse?

Is there anyone who can genuinely argue today that we are not in that phase or at least entering it?

None of what you see happening today has benefit to humanity down the road.

Things will just keep getting more and more warped.

Isn't decadence, moral vacuum and truth/fact/evidence denial considered the final stage of civilisation before collapse?

Is there anyone who can genuinely argue today that we are not in that phase or at least entering it?

Well.. if you look at BLM or many other social justice movements, they talk about burning down the system, or instigating chaos, with the 'belief' that they can build something better from the ashes.

Alas, they haven't had much success at doing so from a position of poverty, so I'm somewhat skeptical that they'd be able to do so from the ashes.. and chaos of a fallen system. I suspect most of the people who talk about chaos, anarchy, etc are still expecting that there will be someone out there to clean up their mess when they've stopped burning buildings, and lynched their opponents.

Personally, I think we've simply entered the time of the muppet. Thinks themselves smart, but really they're thick as a plank, and not near as useful. There's little emphasis anymore on understanding cause and effect, or accepting responsibility.. so, yeah, we'll be seeing a lot more senseless destruction both on a physical level, but also, in regards to social stability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First they came for my Mr Potato Head, and I said nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oh what the actual fcuk...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Rothko wrote: »
    Honestly, what is the point in that?

Very simple. To sell more potato heads. They know the usual suspects will be upset by it, probably have a slot on Tucker. Tonnes of free advertising. It's trending all over twitter. More potato heads will be sold. The usual boomers that weren't going to buy it anyway will pretend they're going to boycott it. But sales will go up.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Very simple. To sell more potato heads. They know the usual suspects will be upset by it, probably have a slot on Tucker. Tonnes of free advertising. It's trending all over twitter. More potato heads will be sold. The usual boomers that weren't going to buy it anyway will pretend they're going to boycott it. But sales will go up.

Go woke go rich? Let’s see.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

The usual boomers that weren't going to buy it anyway will pretend they're going to boycott it. But sales will go up.

That's exactly what Gillette thought.
    But guess what - obese loners, unemployed professional protesters, and kept college kids don't buy a lot of anything.

• Advertisement

Fake news.

Hasbro (@Hasbro) Tweeted:
    Hold that Tot – your main spud, MR. POTATO HEAD isn’t going anywhere! While it was announced today that the POTATO HEAD brand name & logo are dropping the ‘MR.’ I yam proud to confirm that MR. & MRS. POTATO HEAD aren’t going anywhere and will remain MR. & MRS. POTATO HEAD https://t.co/6I84KrxOLQ

Good marketing there. Pretend that potato head is changing his gender. He’s not really. Trend on Twitter. Announce it’s not really happening.

Winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So it was an early April Fools joke so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

California bill would require gender neutral sections in department stores.
    https://michaelsavage.com/california-to-pass-bill-recognizing-all-products-as-gender-neutral/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So it was an early April Fools joke so.

Or did somebody note the reaction to the proposal and pull the stupid idea - more likely from where I'm sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Many of the usual wokies will look at this and not realize just how ironic and openly wacist it is. It is also unsympathetic towards people who are color blind.

EvC7roaXEAEfJfs?format=jpg&name=medium
    jnkbj

haha

https://twitter.com/masked_bastard/status/1361996955061268481

Why do Asians rarely matter in these? Always a black and white child, rarely an asian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Or did somebody note the reaction to the proposal and pull the stupid idea - more likely from where I'm sitting.

The cynic in me immediately reached the same conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

It's almost like it's being misreported to rev people up online.

https://twitter.com/Hasbro/status/1365038178814590995?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Why do Asians rarely matter in these? Always a black and white child, rarely an asian
    Isn't is obvious?
    They just go about their lives ..... working, paying taxes, putting their children through college, and generally not involved in criminality.
    And they do not throw their toys out of the pram screaming and roaring when they underperform in various challenges in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Left are starting to view Asians as problematic, they don't fit the narrative, same is happening with Jews and even with African immigrants in America.

It's no coincidence that all 3 groups are the top performers in American society.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Isn't is obvious?
    They just go about their lives ..... working, paying taxes, putting their children through college, and generally not involved in criminality.
    And they do not throw their toys out of the pram screaming and roaring when they underperform in various challenges in life.

It's also to do with economics... Asia is becoming rather successful economically. China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, especially Vietnam, are all attractive destinations for work, and having an Asian language is more useful there. So, far more Asians are choosing to immigrate to other Asian countries, than coming to the West. Oh, sure, many still do come here, but we're going to continue seeing a decline in those numbers, as Asian economies grow further.

Whereas for Africans/Black people, Asia is rather... racist towards them, so options are limited, whereas in the West, they're a disadvantaged group, and so gain supports that wouldn't be available elsewhere.

I'd say that in the future, we're likely to see more Black people in the West than Asians.. especially, if they continue to receive so much attention due to their race (diversity quotas, racial supports, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

California bill would require gender neutral sections in department stores.
    https://michaelsavage.com/california-to-pass-bill-recognizing-all-products-as-gender-neutral/

no need for a bill but it's not unusual to have a gender neutral zone as it is a distinct style

Go woke go rich? Let’s see.

Go woke, go broke. That's fine. But cancel culture is bad. Strange world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Danzy wrote: »
    The Left are starting to view Asians as problematic, they don't fit the narrative, same is happening with Jews and even with African immigrants in America.

It's no coincidence that all 3 groups are the top performers in American society.

Yes.

Here is a statement from a Chinese-American group against CRT.

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1364634988319154178

Go woke, go broke. That's fine. But cancel culture is bad. Strange world we live in.

Go woke go broke is companies turning customers off buying from them.
    Cancel culture is people losing their jobs and their voice because they express an opinion.

Surely even the most blinkered believer in wokeism can't believe these two things are equivalent?

It's almost like it's being misreported to rev people up online.

https://twitter.com/Hasbro/status/1365038178814590995?s=20
    Instead of dropping MR & MRS in one step, they're now going to do it in two steps, give it a few months and the small mr & mrs will disappear from the box.

RandRuns wrote: »
    That's exactly what Gillette thought.
    But guess what - obese loners, unemployed professional protesters, and kept college kids don't buy a lot of anything.

For every Gillette there's a netflix, Google, Microsoft, nike that have the same "woke" shít and are successful. And quit the opposite, companies are targeting college kids more than boomers. 18-35 is the target group for most advertising as it's seen as more lucrative.

I mean, you say "obese" people don't buy a lot of anything is clearly not true :pac:

For every Gillette there's a netflix, Google, Microsoft, nike that have the same "woke" shít and are successful. And quit the opposite, companies are targeting college kids more than boomers. 18-35 is the target group for most advertising as it's seen as more lucrative.

I mean, you say "obese" people don't buy a lot of anything is clearly not true :pac:

True, there are some companies that seem to make plenty off the back of being woke (Ben & Jerrys is another one), but I think the audience is critical - Gillette got hammered because they basically told their core buyers that they were bad people. Netflix can spout all the woke rubbish they want, because it doesn't affect their customers - Homeland and Ozark are still the same shows, whether Netflix pretends to be woke or not. Nike pitched their wokeness well- they basically persuaded their gullible customers (who buy rubbish shoes made by child slaves for 50 or 100 times their worth) that everybody else was bad, but they were good.
    Targeting college kids is only a worthwhile exercise if they will buy from you - college kids won't buy Gillette, no matter how woke - the small percentage of them that shave buy cheaper brands. Netflix and Nike are prime targets for the college dollar.

Obese loners I said, not ordinary obese people ;)

RandRuns wrote: »
    Go woke go broke is companies turning customers off buying from them.
    Cancel culture is people losing their jobs and their voice because they express an opinion.

Surely even the most blinkered believer in wokeism can't believe these two things are equivalent?

Colin kaepernick was a victim on cancer culture from the right

• Advertisement

All the companies you mention are doing a balancing act with their wokeness.. and it's still early days on the backlash against woke agendas. There's momentum building on consumers not having patience with these agenda driven companies.. and the whole go-woke go-broke was more to do with bad strategy or shoddy productions, than an actual reaction from consumers. For now.

However, the "anti"-woke sentiment is growing rather fast online, which will feed gradually into other areas. I'd expect to continue see companies show their wokeness for another year or two, before there's enough resistance to make them pause in consideration.. but that day is coming. Thankfully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement