Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Translate Leaving Cert grades to A level grades?

• 31-01-2012 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Is there any way of translating Leaving Cert grades to A-level grades?

I realise that Uk students do less subjects but is there any UCAS guidelines for comparing the two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

For college applications it's based on 'tariff points' which is a standardised system that all foreign qualifications are translated to. You'll see on course websites that the minimum requirements are say BBB at A-Level or 340 tariff points for example. The chart for converting LC grades to tariff points is located here. If the course requires something more specific like the points including an A in Higher Level biology it'll be stipulated in the application requirements.

If the question is more employment related then most employers can't really comprehend the conversion and so usually just take the LC at face value (i.e. if it looks good then it is good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks Powwow.

Is there any way of finding out how many tarrif points various grades in the A level exams equate to?

I've totted up my own tarrif point and trying to see what that would be in terms of A levels.

Unfortunately there's not really a way to convert them the other way - the tariff system is a purely UCAS thing designed solely for non-UK applicants to standardise their exam results. A-Levels don't get points equivalents so it's not like here where you'd say you got x number of points and 4 Bs, 2 Cs etc - there it's letter grades only (with the exception of the '*' system for distinguishing an A from a really really good A).

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

pow wow wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's not really a way to convert them the other way - the tariff system is a purely UCAS thing designed solely for non-UK applicants to standardise their exam results.QUOTE]

Maybe im reading wrong but is what he/she is asking not for a way to work out how many UCAS points an A level grade is worth? This is possible.

Here is a link to all the conversion tables:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

Also to save you looking through it all:

The grades are worth:

A* - 140
    A - 120
    B - 100
    C - 80
    D - 60
    E - 40

My understanding was that (s)he was trying to ascertain what their tariff points and related LC grades would equate to in terms of A-Level grades and the conversion isn't that literal. Though the tariff points may be on a par, having LC grades that equate to x number of points isn't the same as having A-Level grades that equate to the same number of points and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think they say that one leaving cert subject is roughly equal to two thirds of an A level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blissfulapple1

Hey, does anyone know what the A-level resits policy is for Irish universities? does all AS and A2 units for four subjects need to be repeated in one year! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hi, I'm looking into college in the UK and the requirement for an Irish applicant on the course I'm looking at is AAAABB in all Honours subjects (it has a specific list of subjects I must sit the exam in as well, but it does require special grades in them, just a pass). Does this mean that I just need to achieve 4 As and 2 Bs in my LC in honours subjects? Does an A2, for example mean an A or a B3 a B?

Thanks for any help :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking into college in the UK and the requirement for an Irish applicant on the course I'm looking at is AAAABB in all Honours subjects (it has a specific list of subjects I must sit the exam in as well, but it does require special grades in them, just a pass). Does this mean that I just need to achieve 4 As and 2 Bs in my LC in honours subjects? Does an A2, for example mean an A or a B3 a B?

Thanks for any help :)

hey, i'm not sure if a certain LC grade easily translates to a certain a-level grade i'm afraid. to apply to uk universities you apply through ucas,( its like uk cao!), ucas website shows how many tariff points each course requires for irish leaving certificates and a-levels, As far as i know same tariff points required for both A-levels and LC in a certain course. Tariff points for LC http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/ilc
    UCAS Tariff points A-levels
    A*140
    A 120
    B 100
    C 80
    D 60
    E 40
    hope this kinda helped :)

hey, i'm not sure if a certain LC grade easily translates to a certain a-level grade i'm afraid. to apply to uk universities you apply through ucas,( its like uk cao!), ucas website shows how many tariff points each course requires for irish leaving certificates and a-levels, As far as i know same tariff points required for both A-levels and LC in a certain course. Tariff points for LC http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/ilc
    UCAS Tariff points A-levels
    A*140
    A 120
    B 100
    C 80
    D 60
    E 40
    hope this kinda helped :)
    Hi :) Ah well you see I went onto the Irish requirements for that course and it said something like 'Irish applicants should achieve the results AAAABB in their exams at all higher level. These subjects must also include Chemistry and one other laboratory science'.

Does this mean that I just need 4 As (Not sure if A2s count as As) and 2 Bs (Again not sure about B2 or B3) in Higher Level subjects, and two of these must be Chemistry and Biology/Physics?

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Hi :) Ah well you see I went onto the Irish requirements for that course and it said something like 'Irish applicants should achieve the results AAAABB in their exams at all higher level. These subjects must also include Chemistry and one other laboratory science'.

Does this mean that I just need 4 As (Not sure if A2s count as As) and 2 Bs (Again not sure about B2 or B3) in Higher Level subjects, and two of these must be Chemistry and Biology/Physics?

oh ok, you guys have different types of A grades! with my very little knowledge of LC, it does mean you need minimum 4A's and 2 B's which has to include chemistry and biology/physics .BUT i dont know whether A1 or A2 converts to one of the 4A's :confused: I would definitely call UCAS or the university you got that information from or e-mail them on the "type" of A's and B's they require.

oh ok, you guys have different types of A grades! with my very little knowledge of LC, it does mean you need minimum 4A's and 2 B's which has to include chemistry and biology/physics .BUT i dont know whether A1 or A2 converts to one of the 4A's :confused: I would definitely call UCAS or the university you got that information from or e-mail them on the "type" of A's and B's they require.
    Thanks, I'll probably drop them an email this evening :)

Advertisement