Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball moves on downswing

• 18-10-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Yesterday while taking a shot from the rough the ball moved just before the club head made impact. Movement was approx 2mm from original position.

Do I penalize myself one shot and play where it now lies or replace and take again or drop and take again?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

It depends if it was seen on the high definition camera and the presenters were discussing if you should call a penalty on yourself or not.

If you can overcome the morals of the situation and realise that we are not tour pros but hacks, 😣 maybe even very good hacks but hacks non the less.

Have you ever broken any other rules like giving or receiving advice or touching the line of your putt, or moving loose impediments on the green while your on the fairway.
    People break these rules all the time without a second thought. I think your being hard on yourself.

Bottom line is you didn't move the ball deliberately you didn't gain an advantage so I'd say your ok.
    But if you were to penalise yourself it would be 1 stroke and the ball should be replaced from where you last played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Mentioned it to the guy I was playing with who said 2 stroke penalty.. Had no idea if should pick it off the green and walk back and hit again.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Mentioned it to the guy I was playing with who said 2 stroke penalty.. Had no idea if should pick it off the green and walk back and hit again.

The best way 2 understand whether it 1 or 2 strokes is: One stroke if it's accidental for example hitting the ball in a hazzard or out of bounds. Two strokes if you gain an advantage like sweeping loose impediments on the green while your ball if off the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

It depends if it was seen on the high definition camera and the presenters were discussing if you should call a penalty on yourself or not.

If you can overcome the morals of the situation and realise that we are not tour pros but hacks, 😣 maybe even very good hacks but hacks non the less.

Have you ever broken any other rules like giving or receiving advice or touching the line of your putt, or moving loose impediments on the green while your on the fairway.
    People break these rules all the time without a second thought. I think your being hard on yourself.

Bottom line is you didn't move the ball deliberately you didn't gain an advantage so I'd say your ok.
    But if you were to penalise yourself it would be 1 stroke and the ball should be replaced from where you last played.

None of the above, if a ball moves after you have started your swing there is no penalty.
    I can't remember the exact rule or if it's once you've started you backswing or your downswing, either way, there is no penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Would this apply?
    I think in essence its down to the question whether you caused the ball to move or not.

• Advertisement

None of the above, if a ball moves after you have started your swing there is no penalty.
    I can't remember the exact rule or if it's once you've started you backswing or your downswing, either way, there is no penalty.

Dead right. rule 18-2b

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You can move loose impediments on the green when you're in the fairway, no?

fullstop wrote: »

No, only when on the green

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Yes of course you can, there's nothing in the rules to say otherwise.

Boskowski wrote: »
    No, only when on the green

Rule 23 states you can remove loose impediments unless the ball and loose impediment lie within the same hazard. Where from this is it assumed you can't move a loose impediment when you're off the green and the impediment is on it?

• Advertisement

I stand to be corrected, yes, apparently you can remove loose impediments both on and off the green.
    Thats what happens when you simply parrot what another player told you. :o Apologies.
    But you need to be careful it seems. Sand for example is classed as a lose impediment on the green but not off the green.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected, yes, apparently you can remove loose impediments both on and off the green.
    Thats what happens when you simply parrot what another player told you. :o Apologies.
    But you need to be careful it seems. Sand for example is classed as a lose impediment on the green but not off the green.

Yes I thought it might have been sand that threw you! Or the pitchmark issue whereby you can repair one that is on the green while you're off the green but if the pitchmark is also off the green you can't.

My bad I was thinking of removing loose impediments on the fringe while your off the green. For example if your putting from the fairway or fringe and there is sand in your line on the fringe it can't be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Abu Dhabi 2012, MCIlroy incurs a 2 stroke penalty for brushing away sand that was OFF the green in his line. Luke Donald pointed it out to him.

McIlroy:. "My ball was maybe six feet off the green and there was a lot of sand between it and the hole. I just brushed the sand away and as soon as I did it Luke said, 'You can't brush sand off the fringe.' I knew straight away he was right. I wasn't thinking clearly and just made a very stupid mental mistake."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Abu Dhabi 2012, MCIlroy incurs a 2 stroke penalty for brushing away sand that was OFF the green in his line. Luke Donald pointed it out to him.

McIlroy:. "My ball was maybe six feet off the green and there was a lot of sand between it and the hole. I just brushed the sand away and as soon as I did it Luke said, 'You can't brush sand off the fringe.' I knew straight away he was right. I wasn't thinking clearly and just made a very stupid mental mistake."

sand is a loose impediment on the green and not off it. Why I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Is that still a rule - that you are supposed to brush away stuff on the green with the back of your hand and not the palm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Is that still a rule - that you are supposed to brush away stuff on the green with the back of your hand and not the palm?

there's no rule around how you brush material off. The reason the back of the hand is referenced is in order to avoid the accusation of 'testing' the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You seem to be suggesting taking what you see as a fair/reasonable approach to something, rather than applying the rules. That could be called cheating. The rules are black and white. If you break one, you don't qualify that by asking if you gained an advantage, or are you being harsh on yourself. We've all been really shafted by the rules at times, I'm sure, but if you play the game you play by its rules.

Advertisement