Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me finish my build - GPU advice and PSU

• 10-07-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Here is what I have so far.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yZksGc

CPU Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120
    Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX LGA1151
    Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
    Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Case Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case

I'm not much of a gamer so don't want to spend hundreds. I know the CPU and motherboard are decent but I got them both for a great price. I bought the RAM and M.2 drive. I already had the case.

Current PSU is 400W (and around 10 years old) so will need an upgrade. Was thinking of a 750W+ modular one from a reputable brand. PSUs seem to be quite rare at the moment though.

What's this like for a graphics card?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072B6W44N/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A206ULAR6UT9T8&th=1

Any other recommendations. Would like to keep PSU around £100 and GPU below £150-160 if possible.

1. What is your budget?
    €200-250, maybe a bit more

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mostly just internet, downloading but would like some gaming. I got GTA5 when it was free recently.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Just disc drive and peripherals

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    I have 2 x Samsung S22F350 (1920 x 1080, 60Hz, 5ms)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? All

9. When are you purchasing? No rush

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dunno what price that RX 580 in your link was, but do NOT buy it for £255+ :pac:

Here's a better Sapphire Pulse 8Gb model for £159.99
    Pair with a be quiet Pure Power 9 600W for £58.67 and you're in-budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Homelander

I hope they were a good price, a Ryzen 3600 is half the price and close in performance! Especially at 1080p 60hz they are identical as the graphics card will be the limiting factor. Intel have not been competitive for quite some time, a lot of consumer retailers are 80-90% Ryzen sales over Intel at the moment.

It would be worth going an extra few pounds and getting a GTX1660 Super, there are some available for about £210. But the best card for £150 would be an RX580 8GB model (not 4GB model).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dunno what price that RX 580 in your link was, but do NOT buy it for £255+ :pac:

Here's a better Sapphire Pulse 8Gb model for £159.99
    Pair with a be quiet Pure Power 9 600W for £58.67 and you're in-budget.
    Think it was £160 when I linked it.
    Homelander wrote: »
    I hope they were a good price, a Ryzen 3600 is half the price and close in performance! Especially at 1080p 60hz they are identical as the graphics card will be the limiting factor. Intel have not been competitive for quite some time, a lot of consumer retailers are 80-90% Ryzen sales over Intel at the moment.

It would be worth going an extra few pounds and getting a GTX1660 Super, there are some available for about £210. But the best card for £150 would be an RX580 8GB model (not 4GB model).
    €50 for CPU and mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

50 euro for a top-tier CPU & mobo?
    You sure they weren't stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    50 euro for a top-tier CPU & mobo?
    You sure they weren't stolen?

A mate built a new beast of a gaming machine and they were in his old one. I told him it was too cheap but he just wanted rid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement