Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-04-2019, 09:37   #286
Hermy

My mother and father's trees are mostly Dublin based so the interconnectedness occurs less frequently or the connections are at a considerable remove. Some of you may recall for instance my discovering that my maternal grandmothers twin sisters mother-in-law had two lodgers in 1901 who it turned out were step-children of my g-g-grandfathers nephews sister-in-law.

However, my partners family are from a small village in the midlands and there the interconnectedness is far more frequent so as to make it not just desirable but essential to research the in-laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
Anyone who is related by blood or marriage is eligible for inclusion.
Or adoption Hermy!
Shame on me for not including that one.
But perhaps that's why I throw the net so far and wide.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2019, 20:05   #287
shar01

This is what I love about genealogy. I received an email last night from the States. A lady is trying to unravel her great grandfather's "domestic arrangements"

The surname is Stack from Kerry. Stacks are ten a penny down there.

I'm looking at a Tree this woman is connected to by DNA. While searching through deaths for Edward Stack I came across a cert from 1926. And it led me to the Dromcollogher cinema fire. I had never heard of this disaster.
(2) thanks from:
26-04-2019, 20:56   #288
spurious
Category Moderator

Likewise for me, the Carrickshock massacre/incident (depending on your point of view) in which one of the dead was (subject to DNA confirmation) my 4x great grandfather.
(2) thanks from:
26-04-2019, 21:14   #289
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
How does one handle adoption, from a direct ancestral line?
For myself I trace both my adoptive and my birth parents lines with equal interest, albeit with a big fat blank where my birth father's name should be because in Ireland it's unlawful for me to be told his name!

The online family tree builder at Ancestry allows me include both my adoptive and birth parents and any paper charts I create generally start with my parents generation so that removes some awkwardness.

However, if I was creating a pedigree chart for instance that included an adopted individual I'd put an asterisk next to their name and create a separate chart for their 'other' parents.
Thanks from:
26-04-2019, 22:43   #290
srmf5

Where overlap occurs in trees, the relatives are naturally recorded. My grandfather's brother married my grandmother's sister (two brothers marrying two sisters). Relatives of my mum and dad have crossed paths in the past due to both families living around the one area. Four examples from from the top of my head being my dad's relative (my 4th great uncle) marrying my mum's relative (my 3rd great aunt), my dad's relative (son of 4th great aunt) marrying my mum's relative (3rd great aunt) and my dad's great uncle was engaged to my mum's relative (daughter of my second great aunt). Even now, I have a second cousin on my dad's side dating a second cousin on my mum's side. It was only recently that they realised they were both related to me at an anniversary mass. So they're not related to each other but I'm related to both spouses.

My own relatives have managed to keep me busy and entertained without straying too far away from relatives. There's already over 3,000 in the tree and I'd just feel like an ancestor collector who tries to get a high number in their tree if I added too many unrelated people. I don't consider recording the names of siblings, parents or even grandparents of through marriage relatives that but there are some trees out there that pretty much add someone else's entire tree going back generations when they might only be connected to one line. It's different in cases of adoption of course. I've been helping someone in America who can't access her birth certificate but was supposed to have been born to Irish parents in America. Her tree is just made up of match's trees to determine the connection. She successfully identified the mother but there's no certainty with the father who is the parent that I'm related to. I had much better luck with a second cousin of my dad's who was born and adopted in Ireland. She already knew her mother's surname and based on that it was easy to explain the connection to her.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 08:44   #291
Boscod

Talking of overlap, my Great Grandfather and Grandfather married two sisters!
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2019, 09:07   #292
pinkypinky

In my distant family, there is a case of adoption (though before 1952 so technically a permanent fostering). The adoptive mother was my blood relation and her adopted son asked me to help trace the birth mother. He had some clues and we were able to figure it out. I retained him in my family tree using a different dotted line to show he was adopted and created a totally separate tree for his birth family. Notes in each tree indicating that I had another one to reference if I was checking something in futre.

I agree with Srmf5 - 2300ish in my tree all related to me except 3 or 4 instances of siblings marrying siblings where I've put their parents in to show the link. When I see people with over 5000 (or 10000) individuals, I wonder if they're as well researched or there's a bit of name gathering.

One third cousin did explain to me that she puts people in to see what hints ancestry generates for ideas - I do that too, but not with my main tree. I create a separate one, which might get deleted later.
Thanks from:
29-06-2019, 11:27   #293
pedroeibar1

The CLDS have issued an invitation to complete a survey to some Dublin-based Familysearch site subscribers. The questions are general genealogy based, e.g. sites used, frequencies, etc. I’ve signed up. The purpose is to create a database from which a focus group can be selected. What the (paid) focus group will do/look at was not made clear, and not all who completed the survey will be called.
29-06-2019, 13:46   #294
pinkypinky

Yeah, I got it.
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 20:00   #295
Hermy

Me too.

I wonder what will be they be offering those who are picked?
Thanks from:
29-06-2019, 20:14   #296
Deja Boo

It's a paid focus group? Odd, since LDS are generally volunteer oriented.
29-06-2019, 21:38   #297
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
It's a paid focus group? Odd, since LDS are generally volunteer oriented.
I think they mean expenses.
04-07-2019, 19:33   #298
shar01

Here's how sad I am...

I've put together a tree based on a shared dna match to try and find the common ancestor. My maternal grandfather was from Loughill, Co Limerick and so far this is where the shared match is leading me to.

One of the surnames I'm checking out is O'Shaughnessy from Loughill. I'm looking up the birth cert of Michael Maurice O'Shaughnessy https://exhibitions.library.nuigalwa...y/page/welcome
and the captcha is for bridges and the photo is of the Golden Gate Bridge. I did a mental high five.

Like I said, sad.
(2) thanks from:
05-07-2019, 15:06   #299
pinkypinky

So I contacted a DNA match for my Dad's cousin yesterday - there's a shared surname in his list and I gave a bit of info about my people with that name. He replied with the same. But swiftly followed a second email saying he'd googled me, knew I was a genealogist and said it would have been better if I'd been upfront about it and my motives!

I suppose he thinks I'm somehow profiting from his info?
(2) thanks from:
05-07-2019, 18:23   #300
Hermy

Funny that - I found myself in a similar position recently when I was contacted by one of Ancestry's genealogists looking for information about a DNA match of mine. I almost regret my helpful reply as I got nothing in return.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion