Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mini carpet

• 26-12-2020 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Does anybody know if the carpet from a Mini Cooper would fit a mini metro?

Both cars were being produced around the same time.
    I have a mk1metro that needs a new carpet but nobody makes one for the metro.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It wouldn't fit at all. Completely different floorpan.

You'll just have to hunt around for a good used one in the right colour or dye one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114478577322

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

It's a limited edition car and the carpet was in several sections unlike the brown ones in the link.
    The carpets that came out of it looked quite like the ones advertised on various sites for the mini. Hence my question.
    I have contacted many of these companies but all have told me that there are no patterns for the metro which seems odd.

I was just throwing the question out to see if anybody with experience of these cars might know more.

If all else fails obviously I will have to settle for the old standard ones and dye them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Use the old carpet for a template.
    Buy a suitable auto carpet from a carpet store.

Cut the shape, and bring it back to the store for edge binding at 1 euro per foot.

Job done.
    K.

kadman wrote: »
    Use the old carpet for a template.
    Buy a suitable auto carpet from a carpet store.

Cut the shape, and bring it back to the store for edge binding at 1 euro per foot.

Job done.
    K.

The problem is that the carpet is non existent. It was so rotten that it was sucked up in the process of getting the water out of the car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Make a paper template, its simple enough.

Make a template like this,

[IMG][/img]o8Ox3R7.jpg

[IMG][/img]pbUskVB.jpg

[IMG][/img]FpsXRAD.jpg

Alternate every layer at 90degrees to each other to make up a suitable thickness of masking tape to work with.

When its all done, attach each shape together to form the pattern. Curves like wheel wells may need to be cut to flatten the pattern, and then sown together to reform the curve. An upholsterer would have a suitable machine to sow the carpet should it need it. Use a thin carpet material for ease of use.

You could always stick the shapes individually to the bulkhead instead of sewing.

Either way you have a nice new carpetted vehicle.:)

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Make a paper template, its simple enough.

Make a template like this,

[IMG][/img]o8Ox3R7.jpg

[IMG][/img]pbUskVB.jpg

[IMG][/img]FpsXRAD.jpg

Alternate every layer at 90degrees to each other to make up a suitable thickness of masking tape to work with.

When its all done, attach each shape together to form the pattern. Curves like wheel wells may need to be cut to flatten the pattern, and then sown together to reform the curve. An upholsterer would have a suitable machine to sow the carpet should it need it. Use a thin carpet material for ease of use.

You could always stick the shapes individually to the bulkhead instead of sewing.

Either way you have a nice new carpetted vehicle.:)

That’s a great idea. Thanks. I’ll have a look at it. It will require patience but should work. I was thinking along the lines of using strong cardboard and getting a large mat or carpet end and just getting it banded as suggested. I will just use the same for the underlay. Thank you all.

Advertisement