16-12-2020, 01:15   #61
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
You were still required to 'import' it at the actual time ..of import. Revenue dont give a monkeys in that regard.
Yes, at the actual time of import it is "quality used spares'" and when it becomes a "mechanically propelled vehicle" it then becomes a VRT/registration matter.
Advertisement
16-12-2020, 09:41   #62
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
Yes, at the actual time of import it is "quality used spares'" and when it becomes a "mechanically propelled vehicle" it then becomes a VRT/registration matter.
to you yes, but to Revenue, the date of Import is the date it crossed the border. There is no provision for non-working cars.
16-12-2020, 10:02   #63
commited

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
Its not a great unknown. The revenue clearly have stated that if you present a car from a 'third country' you must have a clearance certificate and its been like that for years. From 01/01/21 the UK is a 'third country'. We have known for months that this has being coming so why are we complaining? Its not 'unjust' to change the goalposts. Blame the Brits, they voted for it, its their fault!
To be fair, it is an unknown as the Brexit situation hasn't been resolved and indeed the revenue video said "may require". To note, I didn't complain in my post, I do think that the lack of clarity coming from revenue is concerning however.

For those of us less educated, could you please explain how I can obtain a clearance certificate now for my classic that has recently entered the country prior to Brexit?
16-12-2020, 19:48   #64
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by commited View Post

For those of us less educated, could you please explain how I can obtain a clearance certificate now for my classic that has recently entered the country prior to Brexit?
From where and when did you import it?
16-12-2020, 20:06   #65
commited

Quote:
From where and when did you import it?
Northern Ireland, early December.
Advertisement
16-12-2020, 23:21   #66
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
Not in the eyes of Revenue.
Thanks from:
16-12-2020, 23:24   #67
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:

Phone up NCTS/go online, make appointment, turn up on the appointed day, pay them the €€€€

But you'll not be doing that this side of Brexit though: waiting lists all over the country.
17-12-2020, 00:17   #68
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Not in the eyes of Revenue.
I await my visit from the Revenue then asking me to pay VAT & VRT on my boxes of "quality used spares."

It's not going to happen, if it did, then they'd let me register the fecking thing!

It's not Schrödinger's car, that magically becomes a car just because the Revenue peeks inside the box.
17-12-2020, 08:11   #69
Isambard

and if they produce evidence of it coming into the Country as a car a number of months or years previously?

Revenue give you 30 days to re-register it, the fact that you cannot do so is of no importance to them, there is no provision for such a situation.

Last edited by Isambard; 17-12-2020 at 08:46.
Advertisement
17-12-2020, 13:52   #70
macplaxton

That evidence is unavailable to them as even if they followed me all the way from the North, the only evidence they would have would be a body shell on a trailer, an unattached chassis and numerous boxes of quality used spares.

It's been apart that long, I've long forgotten how it all goes back together or where everything is.

I will of course update as and when anything progresses in this case.
17-12-2020, 14:50   #71
Isambard

in your particular case maybe but as general advice, Revenue allow 30 days for registration and there is no provision for cars that cannot be registered due to being non-runners.
17-12-2020, 19:02   #72
w124man

Quote:
Northern Ireland, early December.
You dont need a tax clearance cert assuming you have already made an appointment with the VRT and you got a date before Brexit.
17-12-2020, 19:28   #73
commited

Quote:
You dont need a tax clearance cert assuming you have already made an appointment with the VRT and you got a date before Brexit.
Thanks for response, appointment applied for early December (think the 2nd) with 6th Jan date given after waiting a week or so - I.e. not before Brexit and I applied as early as I could. This was exactly my point though, revenue have been unable to confirm whether or not I need a customs clearance cert so its still an unknown about what VRT will be demanding to register hence I'd like to know how I get a customs clearance cert showing its customs compliant!
17-12-2020, 20:03   #74
Car99

Quote:
Thanks for response, appointment applied for early December (think the 2nd) with 6th Jan date given after waiting a week or so - I.e. not before Brexit and I applied as early as I could. This was exactly my point though, revenue have been unable to confirm whether or not I need a customs clearance cert so its still an unknown about what VRT will be demanding to register hence I'd like to know how I get a customs clearance cert showing its customs compliant!
Thinking a little outside the box could a commissioner of oaths help in this situation to verify your car was in the country before dec 31st 2020.
Thanks from:
17-12-2020, 20:17   #75
Isambard

Quote:
excuse my ignorance but I would have thought a Customs clearance cert would be issued after Customs determine what VAT and Excise duty should be due and after it has been paid....ie not required before Brexit.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion