28-11-2020, 00:22   #46
RobAMerc

due to the backlog - I imagine making a booking in 2020 for a vrt inspection on a car thats in Ireland before 31 Dec 2020 should be subject to 2020 rules, even if the actual inspection is in 2021
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2020, 08:42   #47
Isambard

you'd think... but not what people seem to be saying.
28-11-2020, 18:05   #48
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAMerc View Post
due to the backlog - I imagine making a booking in 2020 for a vrt inspection on a car thats in Ireland before 31 Dec 2020 should be subject to 2020 rules, even if the actual inspection is in 2021
So if the car has been in the country for 20 years will be subject to 2020 rules? Eh no! Its all done on the day its presented and from 01/01/2021 all vehicles presented for VRT must be accompanied with a Customs Clearance Certificate. Its all on the Revenue site
28-11-2020, 18:51   #49
macplaxton

Quote:
Vehicles brought into the State from the UK before 1 January 2021 can be registered as normal.
  • Customers must provide documentation to prove that the vehicle was acquired prior to 1 January 2021.

For vehicles registered after 31 December 2020, Revenue may require proof that the importation process was tax and duty compliant.
https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...om-the-uk.aspx

Last edited by macplaxton; 28-11-2020 at 18:58.
Thanks from:
28-11-2020, 18:52   #50
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
So if the car has been in the country for 20 years will be subject to 2020 rules? Eh no! Its all done on the day its presented and from 01/01/2021 all vehicles presented for VRT must be accompanied with a Customs Clearance Certificate. Its all on the Revenue site
Could I go to customs Monday and ask for a customs clearance cert for a car I'm bringing in from the uk even though zero tax or vat due .
Advertisement
28-11-2020, 19:43   #51
RobAMerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
So if the car has been in the country for 20 years will be subject to 2020 rules? Eh no!
I think you know well I meant for a car that has had the booking made within 30days of being in the country but unable to get an appointment before 31/12 due to the backlog.

If the car was here 20 years there would be a crap ton of penalties to pay anyway

Quote:
Additional VRT is charged when a vehicle is not registered within 30 days.

The additional VRT is added to the total VRT due. The additional charge is calculated by multiplying the total VRT due by 0.1%. An additional 0.1% is added on for every day the vehicle is not registered, from the date of its first entry.
15-12-2020, 13:24   #52
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Interesting update: Revenue got back to me today on the issue of cars in the country, not being (able) go get inspected by NCTS/VRT system, what will happen, and here's their official stance:

" Please note that any vehicles that is registered in the year 2021 will go off the new 2021 rates. Therefore it will fall under the new rules."

So for me that means the horse has already bolted, as NCT/VRT have no slots left this year (I rang them), and rocking up post Jan 1st, means Brexit rules + new VRT rules.
15-12-2020, 13:53   #53
Isambard

well I guess they'd have to say that to discourage the last minute chancers but it's surely challengeable on appeal or in the Courts. It certainly is unjust to move the goalposts like that.
15-12-2020, 18:30   #54
commited

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Interesting update: Revenue got back to me today on the issue of cars in the country, not being (able) go get inspected by NCTS/VRT system, what will happen, and here's their official stance:

" Please note that any vehicles that is registered in the year 2021 will go off the new 2021 rates. Therefore it will fall under the new rules."

So for me that means the horse has already bolted, as NCT/VRT have no slots left this year (I rang them), and rocking up post Jan 1st, means Brexit rules + new VRT rules.
Not necessarily, the video on this topic said otherwise. Importation and registration are two different processes. The new rules they refer to most likely relate to the new VRT rules (which is the main bugbear for regular car imports). Importation is the process that will involve VAT and Duty which should be caught at port.

The great unknown is whether or not a customs clearance cert will be required and indeed how to get one.
Advertisement
15-12-2020, 18:53   #55
scannerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAMerc View Post
I think you know well I meant for a car that has had the booking made within 30days of being in the country but unable to get an appointment before 31/12 due to the backlog.

If the car was here 20 years there would be a crap ton of penalties to pay anyway
You can't currently VRT a car which if its not functioning as a car ie able to drive to the inspection, so not true if car is a project which not been on the road the whole time, there is no way to VRT it.
15-12-2020, 19:12   #56
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerd View Post
You can't currently VRT a car which if its not functioning as a car ie able to drive to the inspection, so not true if car is a project which not been on the road the whole time, there is no way to VRT it.
yes but there is no recognition of this in Law. If you can't VRT it because it doesn't work, there is no provision for you avoiding penalties on registration.
15-12-2020, 19:39   #57
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by commited View Post

The great unknown is whether or not a customs clearance cert will be required and indeed how to get one.
Its not a great unknown. The revenue clearly have stated that if you present a car from a 'third country' you must have a clearance certificate and its been like that for years. From 01/01/21 the UK is a 'third country'. We have known for months that this has being coming so why are we complaining? Its not 'unjust' to change the goalposts. Blame the Brits, they voted for it, its their fault!
(2) thanks from:
15-12-2020, 20:43   #58
RobAMerc

Quote:
I hear you - but if you know revenue, you'll know fairness is not a priority for them.
Black and white rules that fall in their favour are par for the course I am afraid.
16-12-2020, 00:37   #59
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
You were still required to 'import' it at the actual time ..of import. Revenue dont give a monkeys in that regard.
16-12-2020, 00:42   #60
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
You were still required to 'import' it at the actual time ..of import. Revenue dont give a monkeys in that regard.
I asked nct to vrt a non running classic back in the summer and they said dont bring it into to us unless it is complete and running. So I didnt . It might be for the best anyways the car is worth more in the UK.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion