16-11-2020, 23:32   #1
Justinwick

Classic car import: what does Brexit mean?

I have a classic car i am buying in December. I won’t get to import it until mid January.

I’m afraid that given uk will be outside the eu I could be hit with additional tax and custom duty.

Does anyone know the state of play here? Right now it is €50 tax as it’s a classic car.

Could I just show evidence of buying it in December or is it the date you actually take it into
Ireland?

Really don’t want to be crippled with extra fees
Advertisement
17-11-2020, 01:28   #2
mikehn

Its the date you present it for assessment that they work off, you will be penalized if there is an undue delay in presenting but if its vintage it will be minimal.
17-11-2020, 06:39   #3
Justinwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
Its the date you present it for assessment that they work off, you will be penalized if there is an undue delay in presenting but if its vintage it will be minimal.
Thanks. Do you think presenting it in January, after the end of the brexit transition period will result in it treated as coming from outside the eu and result in the higher custom duty and vat? Looks like it
17-11-2020, 09:20   #4
Isambard

the VRT currently is €200 on a 30+ yr old car.

what you pay after Jan 1st will depend on what deal is done. If there is no deal, you'll be liable for import duty plus VAT based on the purchase price. The date you import it will be the date they work on, they won't backdate to an earlier purchase date.
Thanks from:
17-11-2020, 09:30   #5
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinwick View Post
Thanks. Do you think presenting it in January, after the end of the brexit transition period will result in it treated as coming from outside the eu and result in the higher custom duty and vat? Looks like it
As it stands , after 31st December 2020 UK imports will be subject to VAT 21% and import duty 10% same as all other non EU imports .
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-11-2020, 10:50   #6
unfit2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car99 View Post
As it stands , after 31st December 2020 UK imports will be subject to VAT 21% and import duty 10% same as all other non EU imports .
Will items imported from Northern Ireland be subject to vat and/or import duty or will "the Ireland Protocol" have any bearing on how such goods are treated for vat and/or import duty ?
17-11-2020, 18:12   #7
Justinwick

Quote:
Any chance this won’t happen ie is it set in stone?
Have a car coming in in february. Gonna make it very expensive
17-11-2020, 18:36   #8
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfit2006 View Post
Will items imported from Northern Ireland be subject to vat and/or import duty or will "the Ireland Protocol" have any bearing on how such goods are treated for vat and/or import duty ?
From Jan 1st 2021 NI is outside the EU as part of the UK. VAT and import duty will be due.

Last edited by Car99; 17-11-2020 at 18:41.
17-11-2020, 18:40   #9
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinwick View Post
Any chance this won’t happen ie is it set in stone?
Have a car coming in in february. Gonna make it very expensive
It's not set in stone as negotiations are ongoing. UK playing hardball .
The other thing with import duty and VAT is they are payable before the goods can clear customs so if you're bringing in a car you got to pay or the car is impounded. Unlike VRT where a car can enter the state and if you choose not to pay VRT for one reason or another you can just remove it from the state.
Advertisement
17-11-2020, 19:07   #10
Isambard

Quote:
It's not set in stone as negotiations are ongoing. UK playing hardball .
The other thing with import duty and VAT is they are payable before the goods can clear customs so if you're bringing in a car you got to pay or the car is impounded. Unlike VRT where a car can enter the state and if you choose not to pay VRT for one reason or another you can just remove it from the state.
yes and you could be in a long queue for customs at the port (both sides potentially ) and I wonder would they shunt you to one side whilst calculating the tax. Not good
17-11-2020, 22:33   #11
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
yes and you could be in a long queue for customs at the port (both sides potentially ) and I wonder would they shunt you to one side whilst calculating the tax. Not good
Especially if your import requires a valuation from Rosslare if they dont agree with your own valuation . It will be very difficult if there is a no deal Brexit
18-11-2020, 09:23   #12
Isambard

Quote:
Especially if your import requires a valuation from Rosslare if they dont agree with your own valuation . It will be very difficult if there is a no deal Brexit
well i think the excise duty and VAT will be based on the invoice but I can see them wanting to sort the VRT too at the same time and my guess is imported cars could be held up for days.
Thanks from:
18-11-2020, 10:00   #13
hi5

I've noticed an awful lot of UK reg cars on Done deal at the moment (and prices seem to be dropping by the day).
If as said the appointment dates with the NCT for VRT assessment are now running into January then there is going to be a lot of stuff out there which is unsaleable for the moment.
Thanks from:
18-11-2020, 10:20   #14
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5 View Post
I've noticed an awful lot of UK reg cars on Done deal at the moment (and prices seem to be dropping by the day).
If as said the appointment dates with the NCT for VRT assessment are now running into January then there is going to be a lot of stuff out there which is unsaleable for the moment.
If they are unsaleable at the moment, then they are also unbuyable

unless you want to face an unknown tax burden with the forthcoming brexit.
Thanks from:
18-11-2020, 10:32   #15
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5 View Post
Exactly what I predicted. I would urge anyone in here not to buy a car on UK regs anymore. Unless of course you want to take a gamble and you reckon a hard Brexit will not happen
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion