09-12-2020, 09:56   #61
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Not according to the Revenue site today. And it says VAT will only be for new cars.
That's my point. Their site is wrong. Very wrong as things stand, unless a deal with a backstop is done at the last minute.

And yes, the value of cars on UK plates on this island that were destined to be sold in the Republic, will likely drop like a brick as I expected. Interesting that you have seen it happen already...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-12-2020, 11:34   #62
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
That's my point. Their site is wrong. Very wrong as things stand, unless a deal with a backstop is done at the last minute.

And yes, the value of cars on UK plates on this island that were destined to be sold in the Republic, will likely drop like a brick as I expected. Interesting that you have seen it happen already...
I think they fact they can't tell VRT offices that it'll be either Option A or Option B (or, indeed, Option C) is shocking. The no of outcomes is small, even a bloody excel sheet would only take 10 minutes.

Would it be that much to ask...............oh, wait..........

Yeah, I noticed an awful lot of stock being piled into garage forecourts around me recently, and I'd say all those small traders in NI who have stuff from GB (sic) but with an eye to RoI as the outlet must surely be wondering what/if they have a bunch of unsaleable-to-RoI cars outside the door in 2 weeks time.............
09-12-2020, 20:17   #63
w124man

I dont think its fair to be giving out about either the VRT or Revenue as neither knows what is going to happen until it happens.

However, if cars in the North could be tariff and VAT free if we go up there and buy, is it not the case that 'the North' will have to pay VAT and tariffs on UK cars coming in as they are possibly still in the EU customs area?
09-12-2020, 20:25   #64
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
I dont think its fair to be giving out about either the VRT or Revenue as neither knows what is going to happen until it happens.

However, if cars in the North could be tariff and VAT free if we go up there and buy, is it not the case that 'the North' will have to pay VAT and tariffs on UK cars coming in as they are possibly still in the EU customs area?
i think that's already been said. I don't know how reliable that is, but NI dealers will have to pay VAT on the whole value of a GB car rather than just on the profit margin as now, eroding the benefit of buying "up North"
10-12-2020, 11:16   #65
hi5

It has to do with the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Goods exported from Britain to NI that are not 'at risk' of being re exported to the EU will not have to pay tariffs.
Goods that may be deemed to be 'at risk' will pay tariffs and then refunded once proven they were not re exported to the EU.
I would say second hand cars would be 'at risk' and so tariffs will have to be paid between GB and NI.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...eland-protocol

Customs, movement of goods

For Northern Ireland–Republic of Ireland trade, the EU’s Union Customs Code (customs rules) apply and there would be no tariffs or restrictions.

Goods moving directly from Great Britain to Northern Ireland won’t be subject to a tariff unless the good is “at risk” of being moved into the EU afterwards. Likewise, goods from third countries entering Northern Ireland will be subject to the UK tariff, unless they are at risk of being moved to the EU.

For goods deemed “at risk”, the EU tariff will be applied. If the UK tariff is lower, and those goods are proved to have stayed in Northern Ireland, the UK can reimburse traders.

The Joint Committee will establish further conditions under which goods coming into Northern Ireland from Great Britain would have to pay the EU tariff.

No duties will be paid on personal baggage and goods of “negligible value”, which will be defined by the Joint Committee.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-12-2020, 11:35   #66
unkel
Category Moderator

Every single car exported from Britain to NI after 01/01/2021 in a no deal brexit is at risk of being moved into the EU (Ireland) afterwards.

I think it's safe to say that cars will not be exempt unless the implementation of this is completely retarded / not enforced
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2020, 13:10   #67
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
I enquired of Revenue for clarification of vehicles imported before Christmas, but no possible VRT inspection being available, of what the VRT/import situation will be afterwards, but still awaiting a response.

They've literally had 4 years to have a plan for this, there's no excuse for them not having a hard Brexit plan. If they don't, they're no better than the clowns on the other side of the Irish Sea.

Last edited by galwaytt; 10-12-2020 at 17:17.
10-12-2020, 17:02   #68
KevRossi

I find it odd that the government/Revenue never looked into getting an exemption for 2nd hand cars. The VRT on them is a majpr contribution to the Irish budget. Surely they're not going to just forget about this over night. I read before that it's worth just over a billion euro a year for second hand cars.

Quote:
92,508 used cars were imported into Ireland in 2018
49.2% of these vehicles were between three and five years old
4.8% of these vehicles were over 10 years old
141,931 fewer vehicles were bought and registered in 2017 than the previous year
8,131 vehicles were imported into Ireland in January 2019
The January 2019 figure is an increase of 1.3% in January 2018
Sales of new cars bought in Ireland has decreased in 2019 by 4.6%
Thanks from:
10-12-2020, 20:37   #69
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
I enquired of Revenue for clarification of vehicles imported before Christmas, but no possible VRT inspection being available, of what the VRT/import situation will be afterwards, but still awaiting a response.
Don't hold your breath. I made an enquiry at the end of October. Got a reply after 6 days which just had a Word doc attached, which had links to how to register a vehicle (currently).

The key is an invoice dated.

In my case I probably have the invoice for one (dated 1991 )

I'll post some photos up soon. Only way I can think of time-stamping that they were in State before year end.

Having said that, it might be down to the old hand-written receipt being accepted.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-12-2020, 14:35   #70
Captain Lugger

This is dispiriting. I live near enough to the main MG dealer in Tyrone, and I've had my eye on the compact MG3 which isn't currently available in the Republic. And I won't be in a position to buy any new/newish car for a few months yet. Oh well, will have to scour the 1200 page withdrawal agreement to find out the devil in the detail.
28-12-2020, 14:58   #71
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Lugger View Post
This is dispiriting. I live near enough to the main MG dealer in Tyrone, and I've had my eye on the compact MG3 which isn't currently available in the Republic. And I won't be in a position to buy any new/newish car for a few months yet. Oh well, will have to scour the 1200 page withdrawal agreement to find out the devil in the detail.
In case you hadn't noticed, this is the classic cars forum

Welcome to boards anyway. And there are now several official MG dealers in the Republic, like Frank Keane. You should be able to buy a brand new MG3 from them.
(2) thanks from:
29-12-2020, 11:50   #72
Captain Lugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, this is the classic cars forum

Welcome to boards anyway. And there are now several official MG dealers in the Republic, like Frank Keane. You should be able to buy a brand new MG3 from them.
Thanks! Noted. Its the default boards on signup thing threw me off the right track.
29-12-2020, 19:39   #73
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRossi View Post
I find it odd that the government/Revenue never looked into getting an exemption for 2nd hand cars. The VRT on them is a majpr contribution to the Irish budget.
Did you not notice that the government are actively trying to discourage the importation of secondhand cars and encouraging the purchase of those ridiculous battery cars. Fines for not reaching the Co2 targets are expensive too.
29-12-2020, 20:22   #74
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Did you not notice that the government are actively trying to discourage the importation of secondhand cars and encouraging the purchase of those ridiculous battery cars. Fines for not reaching the Co2 targets are expensive too.
LOL that's exactly why. We need to lower our emissions so import EVs, not cancerous diesels, from the UK
29-12-2020, 23:54   #75
Tae laidir

Quote:
I believe CO2 targets and fines are only based on new vehicle sales.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion