12-01-2021, 16:44   #136
Garvan

Aren't the Irish Government paying fines to to EU for charging illegal VRT?

The monies collected used to cover the fine and then some. But now I doubt it. You'd be crackers to import.

So now Gov.ie is paying out to the EU with little coming in.

I'm hoping they'll look at the empty coffers, realise there is a solution and ditch VRT.

The North is s*** for second hand stuff especially motorbikes so I'm saying my prayers tonight
Advertisement
12-01-2021, 19:25   #137
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvan View Post
Aren't the Irish Government paying fines to to EU for charging illegal VRT?
Aw here we go!!

No they aren't! VRT is not illegal!
Thanks from:
12-01-2021, 20:47   #138
macplaxton

Mod note:

Can we stick to discussing stuff relevant 'Classic Cars' in this thread please.

For any more general vehicle import stuff, use the relevant thread in the 'Buying and Selling' section of Motors (or if less than 4 wheels, stick it in the Motorbikes sub forum)
12-01-2021, 21:59   #139
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Besides, you can't register it here without the V5 anyway.
Harder, but not impossible. You can with a dating cert as last resort.

Quote:
Can NCTS accept dating certs for vehicles pre 1981?

Original registration certificate must be provided in all cases. A suitable dating certificate may be entertained as a last resort, but only in cases where the customer has not provided acceptable evidence explaining the absence of the original vehicle registration record e.g. a written statement from the registration authority of the previous country clarifying the position.
12-01-2021, 22:47   #140
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
Harder, but not impossible. You can with a dating cert as last resort.
Interesting , is the dating cert for pre '81 set in stone or does it roll on a year every year?
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 03:47   #141
macplaxton

No idea as I can't see any reference to it in the VRT Manuals, it's on the NCTS FAQs page though (Q.20):

Quote:
Can NCTS accept dating certs for vehicles pre 1981?

Original registration certificate must be provided in all cases. A suitable dating certificate may be entertained as a last resort, but only in cases where the customer has not provided acceptable evidence explaining the absence of the original vehicle registration record e.g. a written statement from the registration authority of the previous country clarifying the position.

Do I need to provide registration documents for all motorcycles from 1981 on?

Yes. In particular, cases where a bike has been re-discovered/re-built in a shed, it is likely to have already been registered in the state. The customer should pursue these records with DTTAS, in the first place, and take the necessary steps to have the registration re activated. These are not Revenue cases. If the vehicle has come from another country, the customer must deal with the relative authority in the country of origin, to begin with. In all such cases, an original registration document is the primary requirement.
Other than that minor concession for 40+ year-old vehicles, Revenue will not lift a finger for you if you don't have the vehicle registration/deregistration papers from the exporting country.

ALWAYS GET A V5C
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:33   #142
MrCostington

Just seen this thread on the Autosport forum, from the UK perspective

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2...uk-and-europe/

A little snippet "One of the major dealers of classic cars, based in London, told me that he will go to establish a company/office in Ireland not to loose the ties to buyers/sellers in EU."
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion