Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quest Glendalough 2019

• 26-03-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Only 11 days to go...
    One small route change with the start and finish in Laragh GAA..
    Make it very interesting with a 4k/5k run finish at the end now...
    Makes sense as walking back to the car park after was cruel...
    Hopefully weather will be as the last two years...fingers crossed cant imagine it without good weather and hope i havent cursed it now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

How tough is the course? Expert Route.
    Would you manage it if half fit !! Bit worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

YoTaro wrote: »

:D your half fit and someone elses might be poles apart...
    Its tough but if you are only doing it to get out for the day and not pushed on a time..you will get around..scenery alone will keep you occupied..

That'll do so, we will manage away.
    Looking forward to it

That'll do so, we will manage away.
    Looking forward to it

When I get to computer I will try give you a break down of each section so you will know what to expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I last did it in 2016 but the course is very similar, just the final run is now longer. A little over 3 hours for the winner so you can work out your own time from that hopefully. You will manage it if half fit but have to be nicely conservative for the first 5 stages and then try to keep that easy pace up to the finish :)
    Percentage of time you spend running and cycling if you relatively similar at both running and cycling..

run cycle kayak
    2016 48% 47% 5%
    2019 51% 44% 5%

Basically it's a runners race with harder than usual cycling giving strong cyclists a chance. You can essentially ignore the kayak apart from remembering to enjoy the view. 21km of running is a lot. The 3rd run is much harder than it looks.

4 runs is quite hard as you have many transitions and many chances to get cramp.

Very worthwhile to stay in trail shoes for the entire event (as opposed to swapping into cycling shoes) despite the 1000m of climbing on the bike. Just make sure you have spinny gearing on the bike.

stage 1 : very hilly uphill only bike ride straight from the gun
    Stage 2: hillrun
    3 : Very hilly up and down bike ride
    4 : harder hillrun
    5: undulating ride
    6 : surprisingly hard hardpack trail run
    7 : short kayak
    8: flat trail run
    9: pints?

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    I last did it in 2016 but the course is very similar, just the final run is now longer. A little over 3 hours for the winner so you can work out your own time from that hopefully. You will manage it if half fit but have to be nicely conservative for the first 5 stages and then try to keep that easy pace up to the finish :)
    Percentage of time you spend running and cycling if you relatively similar at both running and cycling..

run cycle kayak
    2016 48% 48% 5%
    2019 51% 48% 5%

Basically it's a runners race with harder than usual cycling giving strong cyclists a chance. You can essentially ignore the kayak apart from remembering to enjoy the view. 21km of running is a lot. The 3rd run is much harder than it looks.

4 runs is quite hard as you have many transitions and many chances to get cramp.

Very worthwhile to stay in trail shoes for the entire event (as opposed to swapping into cycling shoes) despite the 1000m of climbing on the bike. Just make sure you have spinny gearing on the bike.

stage 1 : very hilly uphill only bike ride straight from the gun
    Stage 2: hillrun
    3 : Very hilly up and down bike ride
    4 : harder hillrun
    5: undulating ride
    6 : surprisingly hard hardpack trail run
    7 : short kayak
    8: flat trail run
    9: pints?

Cheers, coming from a soccer/football background so it's hard to compare fitness for an hour and a half of a game to a first time endurance event. Sounds good though, looking forward to giving it a go. Training away doing 1 hour sessions both running and cycling for last 2 months but the length of the whole thing together is new territory.
    Interesting to see how it goes, I'm comfortable on a bike on hills but running hills is a different story!!

I'm definitely looking forward to stage 9 :D

Cheers, coming from a soccer/football background so it's hard to compare fitness for an hour and a half of a game to a first time endurance event. Sounds good though, looking forward to giving it a go. Training away doing 1 hour sessions both running and cycling for last 2 months but the length of the whole thing together is new territory.
    Interesting to see how it goes, I'm comfortable on a bike on hills but running hills is a different story!!

Dont go mad at the start when the adrenaline is pumping,
    Dont kill yourself..You'll get the same medal as everyone else....
    Forget about times and pace yourself,
    Theres a lot of hills in it so make sure to fuel and hydrate properly,
    Dont take any fuel you havent already in training run/bike...
    Sort out race clothes beforehand too...
    Most importantly enjoy it....

Very few will run all the uphills so youll be in good company with a power walk to the summits in places...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The cycling is actually pretty hard, especially the climb up Slieve Maan (second cycle) . If you have time might be worth trying to get a 2 or 2.5 hour spin in this weekend, just to get a bit used to the longer time on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Doing an adventure race of the first time at this. Doing expert level and am unsure about kit.
    Any opinions regarding a backpack or a 'bum bag' / belt to hold everything?
    Thinking of having a jacket / gilet for the bike and taking it off for the runs as it looks like it will be windy and cold.
    Any other tips for a first timer greatly accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Doing an adventure race of the first time at this. Doing expert level and am unsure about kit. Any opinions regarding a backpack or a 'bum bag' / belt to hold everything? Thinking of having a jacket / gilet for the bike and taking it off for the runs as it looks like it will be windy and cold. Any other tips for a first timer greatly accepted!

I only ever carried my gear in the pockets of the jersey. Mandatory kit safety pinned into the middle pocket and food/jacket in the other 2 pockets. Used wrappers from food/gels or whatever you use up the leg of the shorts.
    If you need a jacket for the bike you'll most likely need it for the runs too. That said a pair of arm warmers and a gilet is all I ever carried for these type of races and never used the gilet. Dont think any of the runs are very long so plenty water on the bike should do you ok without having to take it on the run with you.

• Advertisement

Too early to predict the weather hopefully all that rain will be gone in time....
    https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Vale_of_Glendalough/

What works for someone might not work for you but ill try give you some useful advise.

Mandatory kit make sure you have it as Quest check...
    Runners I get away with ordinary road runners it will be wet so some would prefer a trail version but no doubt you have these sorted a long time,
    Im going flat pedals and runners all the way as Peterx says the amount of transitions will lead to cramps,
    Cycling top is the best option...as Poorfarmer says you have the 3 pockets in the back for carrying kit,
    I run with a bladder a lot so doesn't bother me really (personal choice if its cold i'll stick with 2 bottles on the bike)
    Had to stop for a bear grylls moment last year so bib shorts was an ordeal to strip down...
    Just remember where you rack your bike...It wont look the same on your way back out of a transition (full with other bikes) so take a mental note,
    Little wind breaker fly jacket (stuffed in your back pocket),
    Light gloves it will be cold hanging round at the start,
    Whatever you dont need dont run with it leave it with the bike (see a lot of people with helmets on running) bring the mandatory kit as some marshals insist on seeing it before running the hills,
    Be careful on the cycle back too to Glendalough be aware a lot of people you mix in with will be the middle or short course and possibly will be flying along or vice versa stragglers on the short course will be slower...
    Allow for ample space as stragglers off the short course are mostly beginners and so oblivious to how far they are away from the verge you might end up in the middle of an open road...
    Anything else i think of will pop it up in due course...

Bike tips....

Very important...Tyre pressure make sure to check the side of your tyre and inflate them the morning or day before....(they all differ usually racers are 110psi) but check...

2 x Spare tubes...

Tools for changing (in any of the saddle bags you get in Aldi/Lidl €6.99ish)

A pump...

Tighten...If youve fitted flat pedals make sure they're tight (passed a lad last year pedal dropped off no one passing will have a pedal spanner I would imagine)
    Tighten...Same goes for wheels as most will be put together at the start line for transport....
    Tighten...Bottle cages too lost one on one of the decents last year...

If you are taping gels or fuel to your crossbar make sure you dont tape the cables if they run externally...

From memory 2nd bike descent is fast and rough in spots, loose gravel, pot holes filled with chippings...
    If youre approaching someone just give them a shout “on your right usually does it”

I usually leave a rear light on flashing for transitions makes it easier to spot your bike...

Bike tips....

Very important...Tyre pressure make sure to check the side of your tyre and inflate them the morning or day before....(they all differ usually racers are 110psi) but check...

2 x Spare tubes...

Tools for changing (in any of the saddle bags you get in Aldi/Lidl €6.99ish)

A pump...

Tighten...If youve fitted flat pedals make sure they're tight (passed a lad last year pedal dropped off no one passing will have a pedal spanner I would imagine)
    Tighten...Same goes for wheels as most will be put together at the start line for transport....
    Tighten...Bottle cages too lost one on one of the decents last year...

If you are taping gels or fuel to your crossbar make sure you dont tape the cables if they run externally...

From memory 2nd bike descent is fast and rough in spots, loose gravel, pot holes filled with chippings...
    If youre approaching someone just give them a shout “on your right usually does it”

I usually leave a rear light on flashing for transitions makes it easier to spot your bike...

Fair play - good tips. Put flat pedals on last night so might give them another little tighten!

Fair play - good tips. Put flat pedals on last night so might give them another little tighten!

As long as I dont get back to my bike and cant find it with all the flashing lights ;):D

As long as I dont get back to my bike and cant find it with all the flashing lights ;):D

I did think that! Mine will be flashing anyway, so you've already self sabotaged your idea!

I did think that! Mine will be flashing anyway, so you've already self sabotaged your idea!

:D all 3 of us on here with flashing lights...
    Be sure to say hello..

Bring a slab of Carlsberg for all these years of tips you're getting too!

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Derrybawn_Mountain/hour_by_hour.html

No rain light winds...looks like a good day to be racing..
    Enjoy and safe round everyone...

Anyone over that way this evening to collect a number and give us a report on snowfall...??

Found that tough but finished anyway...3 years on and found the Japanese hot tubs! I could have stayed in them all day!!

How did the lads get on??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fell into the lake while doing the Kayak section. :o That water was coooold!
    As a result it made a mess of my time. Been doing it since it started in 2016 and this was by far my worst time. The extra 2k at the end was a bit of a killer, in particular the zig-zagging on the GAA pitch to the finish line.

Other than the mess up in the lake I quite enjoyed it this year. The weather was a bit cooler which was less oppressive.

I actually liked that they moved the finish line as it was closer to the car park but it made it all a bit chaotic for the people on the later waves as there were lots of people milling around the bike area.

Roll on 2020!

My first adventure race and was in the expert section, wave 1.

Really enjoyed it but also didn't respect the distance and difficulty of parts of it! Hadnt done too much training for it.

The second bike and second run were really tough and the the hardest bit of the race for me, especially the bike.

As it was my first, I wasn't really pushing it, but I was trying to run as much of it as i could. Loved the kayak and it was great that the weather lifted for that part.

Finished in 4.43. Plenty of improvement there for next year.

• Advertisement

It was my 3rd year doing it and found it the hardest..(long distance event two weeks ago so hadnt fully recovered) finished just over 4 hours but should of been under 4 if I was right...but happy out I finished it.
    Broke a spoke on bike 2 before the climb so had to jump off to break it off (nearly got jammed in my disc brake and with 70+km speed descending off Slieve Mann) thankfully it snapped very handy but that left me with a severe buckle and bike wasnt as responsive as it should be and had created a very big imbalance upfront had to hold on...
    Cramped on Bike 3 had to get off and walk it off for a few steps...thats never happened me before.
    Both legs cramped on the canoe section but fell in getting off the boat so that kinda helped and yes it was freezing...felt it was a little bit of an anti climax at the end for some strange reason but might of just missed the sunshine of the past two years...did it solo as well so might have missed a few people to laugh and joke about it..
    Will I be back not sure as I might do something different next year..will enjoy the R&R..
    Never ceases to amaze me the winning times on these events...some extremely fit people attend them..I know how hard I train to be middle of the road..Chapeau to them!
    I was only starting run 1 and they were finishing run 1..
    I was only starting run 3 and could hear the podium guys giving interviews!!

Both legs cramped on the canoe section but fell in getting off the boat so that kinda helped and yes it was freezing...
    At least I wasn't the only one to fall in! Although I fell in when we were a bit out so had to be rescued by the rescue boat. I decided to still hold onto the kayak while submerged in the water as they towed us back. Not the brightest idea tbf but I thought they would've been quicker. It's scary how big of a drop in depth the lake takes once you're out a few metres.

..felt it was a little bit of an anti climax at the end for some strange reason but might of just missed the sunshine of the past two years...did it solo as well so might have missed a few people to laugh and joke about it..
    I think moving it away from the Round Tower took away from some of the atmosphere. It was my first time doing it solo too. Plus the wife and kids are normally waiting at the end, not this year though, so it was just race and home for me.

Never ceases to amaze me the winning times on these events...some extremely fit people attend them..I know how hard I train to be middle of the road..Chapeau to them!
    I was only starting run 1 and they were finishing run 1..
    I was only starting run 3 and could hear the podium guys giving interviews!!
    Yeah the winning times are nuts, especially for the Expert Level. Some amount of fitness to compete at that level. Although it's generally the same people winning at each event.

Really enjoyed it, expert route was a good test. Power walked nearly all of the uphills for the running stages, but put in good effort on the bike. Goal was to get back within 5 hours and did that comfortably.

First time ever having to deal with cramp, got it on the stage before the kayaking and again getting into the kayak. For my first quest I was happy with how I went.
    Looking forward to doing another 1 later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

It was my first adventure race. Did the sport 43km. Absolutely loved it. The mucky downhill on the first 6km run was great craic. That downhill at the start of the 20km bike was so fast... nearly lost my sh1t. No wonder they have an ambulance at the bottom :)
    Kayak was a rest but then the last 4km run felt like 6or7.
    Brilliant buzz about the place, well organised and I'll defo do more quests along the way.
    Moxie next!

Loads more photos added to the FB..finally found a few of me in action..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Hi All,

Just signed up the expert level race for 2020. Soon good information here on thread on what to expect. I see some references to 'mandatory equipment'.......what items are these? is there food and drink stations on the route? Any recommendations for a first timer?

I would have a reasonable good standard of fitness and gym goer 6 days a week usually consisting of 3 weight sessions and 3 cardio/circuit sessions. I have done a few half marathons in running but never done any cycling. Any training recommendations and what is a realistic target completion time? My main target will be to just finish the race but always think its good to have a goal time in the mindset as a target for motivation.

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just signed up the expert level race for 2020. Soon good information here on thread on what to expect. I see some references to 'mandatory equipment'.......what items are these? is there food and drink stations on the route? Any recommendations for a first timer?

I would have a reasonable good standard of fitness and gym goer 6 days a week usually consisting of 3 weight sessions and 3 cardio/circuit sessions. I have done a few half marathons in running but never done any cycling. Any training recommendations and what is a realistic target completion time? My main target will be to just finish the race but always think its good to have a goal time in the mindset as a target for motivation.

Mandatory equipment refers to your first aid kit, which you have to have, they check everyone at the start.

No food stations but there's water refills at some of the bike stops. You are required to carry all the equipment you need yourself.

Best tip would to be to familiarise yourself with the course if you can, especially if you don't regularly cycle. Some of the inclines are pretty intense so it's good to know what you're facing beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Mandatory equipment refers to your first aid kit, which you have to have, they check everyone at the start.

No food stations but there's water refills at some of the bike stops. You are required to carry all the equipment you need yourself.

Best tip would to be to familiarise yourself with the course if you can, especially if you don't regularly cycle. Some of the inclines are pretty intense so it's good to know what you're facing beforehand.

Thanks for the response. Do most people carry a small backpack then for the running and then just use the bottles on the bike for the cycle? Going to try get in a run/cycle/runs in the next few week to best prepare. Just out of curiosity how recommended are the trail runners? Have a comfy pair of Assic runners that i generally use and wondering would these be suitable?

Thanks for the response. Do most people carry a small backpack then for the running and then just use the bottles on the bike for the cycle? Going to try get in a run/cycle/runs in the next few week to best prepare. Just out of curiosity how recommended are the trail runners? Have a comfy pair of Assic runners that i generally use and wondering would these be suitable?

I've only ever done the Challenge Route so personally I just use the water on the bike. Depending on your own preference you may want to carry a small backpack. I've seen people carry them but they're probably carrying additional clothes etc. for the long runs.

The Challenge route doesn't really call for trail runners as you're just running along the walkway by the lakes but the Sport and Expert Routes are through some fairly rough terrain so I'd imagine they'd help.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

The bike route on the expert is very tough. I am a regular cyclist and I still found it very hard. Inclines for miles and miles!

Defo get trail runners to help you keep your footing on the descents.

Great event, but requires some specific prep

Advertisement