Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1405 campaign news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Razer33 wrote: »
    PCA seems to be a strange beast, i have known people who you know would pass that did, then those you thought would and didnt and then those that you would have given no hope too and they passed, seems to be a good bit about how you approach it on the day aswell as keeping a good level of fitness.
    I have been doing a fair bit of interval training, as alot of people on here have said its the stop start that gets you as much as anything.

You have to factor in the obstacles and the fact if u don't do one correctly then u must go back to the start if the obstacle and do it again

If u knock a pole off on the stairs for example you have to go right through, go back to the start and wait until the pti replaces the pole before you can start again

Time consuming mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Pca is definitely a lot about technique as well as fitness. That said it is very hard to create a fitness test that gets the balance between fitness and also strength. Scotland do a 1.5 mile run in under a certain time but no strength test. The circuit plus push pull machine sets a good balance between being fit enough and strong enough. You could be the fittest distance runner in the world but might struggle on the front line of a riot if you don't have the muscle mass to balance the fitness so I reckon the psni set the test about right. Have a scoot down the YouTube videos below the psni pca video and watch the Australian or New Zealand one (can't remember which) that a journalist tries. It looks much tighter going!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Razer33 wrote: »
    I have wondered that myself, from what i have gathered on here they can be strict enough on it, its worrying me at the minute i have to say when really i know i should just be keeping my eye on the PCA.

True mate, same as myself focused on my weight but I guess good eating and plenty of training helps for the PCA and the medical when it comes around providing we are lucky enough to pass the PCA. Are you doing much yourself training wise?

Think some interval training is on the cards tonight for me after reading the forums and people getting the calls, gets you going!

Wonder if there will be any more campaign news on the numbers, there has not been much chat about it since the agreement was made. Surely if there was more money to N.I then the CC would be allocated his fair share to recruit more police? Think there was some politics being played on both sides with the department of justice and the office of first minister on budgets, interesting to see what happens...

Hate the thought of missing out on this due to lack of fitness and no more recruitment being done for years....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perkunas

The constant changing of activity in the PCA seems to catch people. So i set up a circuit where i would do 1 minute of exercise (e.g. 30 secs of press ups into 30 secs of bear crawls) and then would do a 40 m sprint. Repeat 4 times (no break) with different exercises each time plus the sprint meant about 6 minutes of high intensity training and a nice combo of cardio with some body weight exercises. Train hard, fight easy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AAPD123

slightly off topic, but has anyone contacted HR regarding vetting forms/PCA/numbers for this campaign? Wonder if it's worth a shot!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Razer33

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    True mate, same as myself focused on my weight but I guess good eating and plenty of training helps for the PCA and the medical when it comes around providing we are lucky enough to pass the PCA. Are you doing much yourself training wise?

Think some interval training is on the cards tonight for me after reading the forums and people getting the calls, gets you going!

Yeah my motivation is good at the moment and i'm enjoying the gym again. Just been alot of interval work myself and some weights to ease the cardio, of which i have never been a fan although im starting to wish i had been!
    It definitely helps the end goal that they tie in with one another.

As far as numbers i was wondering the same, i dread to think that politics could stop me doing this if i put in the hard work to get through the rest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

Honestly man, run, just run, cardio, cardio, and a bit of weight training, I would be more into weight training, and have started doing cross fit to trim up and increase my cardio as well as running, I know there's been a few on here who failed medicals on bmi on here so even if you pass the physical you still need to pass the medical, I'm 6 3" and down to 102kg with a fair bit of muscle, but that's me at a minium and I was told by a serving sergeant if they were me they would try to get below 100kg to be safe, for running, there is an app on iPhone and android C25k basically starts you off from couch to 5k distance running, and it's pretty good, gives you a programme to keep to, more for people who need to start off from scratch running wise but if anyone interested it's worth a look.

I'm very similar to yourself in body size/weight.
    6ft 2/3 walking around now at 105KG.
    I passed the PCA at a weight of 97.5 and cleared the medical at 104kg. (Yes, I ate heartily to congraulate myself.lol)
    You won't have anything to worry about in regards to BMI, (The doctor mentioned just to keep an eye on my "fat midriff" so I don't make it harder on myself if i'm lucky enough to get into GV).
    So you're medical should be grand but I guess it wouldn't hurt your PCA times if you chose to go lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I'm very similar to yourself in body size/weight.
    6ft 2/3 walking around now at 105KG.
    I passed the PCA at a weight of 97.5 and cleared the medical at 104kg. (Yes, I ate heartily to congraulate myself.lol)
    You won't have anything to worry about in regards to BMI, (The doctor mentioned just to keep an eye on my "fat midriff" so I don't make it harder on myself if i'm lucky enough to get into GV).
    So you're medical should be grand but I guess it wouldn't hurt your PCA times if you chose to go lighter.

Thanks mate, yeah I'm gonna try and get down to 98 which I think will happen with the increase in running I'm doing, for the PCA as you say, more than anything, you've put my mind at ease though which is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the posts guys, happy I joined the forums after lurking so long lots of helpful advice given to me already. I would be in around 102 kg at 5'11, I carry a lot of muscle but not going to lie have got comfortable in recent months and have put on about a stone of fat whic I am not happy about. Any suggestions on how to lose it quickly? I've been running and will continue to do so, might start some circuits too as it looks (from the videos) you stop and start a lot so may be helpful.

How did you bigger lads especially those over 6 foot deal with the steps up and down? Imagine it would be quite hard to get up and down without knocking the pole off? Considering you will be wrecked come the final lap its the bit I worry about most, wouldn't be the most flexable lad about and it would be quite time consuming if you knocked a pole down...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

Guys anybody heard any more craic on the budget malarkey?

Was thinking the other day that last campaign was only meant to recruit 100 but they took 378 from that then they'd said another 378 from another campaign? Or did I imagine all that lol. I've read that much on here over the past year lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

QueenP wrote: »
    Guys anybody heard any more craic on the budget malarkey?

Was thinking the other day that last campaign was only meant to recruit 100 but they took 378 from that then they'd said another 378 from another campaign? Or did I imagine all that lol. I've read that much on here over the past year lol

I read that too. The way it reads to me is a 100 from the 2013 campaign and 378 from the one we're in now but obviously they didn't do it like that. Lets hope they get the funding through what we all want! I think we'll have to wait until the next Policing Board meeting to hear anything more on recruitment/funding which i think is the at the end of January.

Let’s hope the agreement before Christmas brings more money into the PSNI. If they are losing 200 officers a year from natural waste then really with the 378 from last year and 100 from this year they have just made up numbers lost, not even.

I do remember Deloitte winning the contract for 5 years, so back then they clearly had a plan to recruit for 5 years. Budgets have got in the way so let’s hope they get the resources they need. A strong police force is vital to facilitate the country after the troubles and on the road to peace...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

WannabePC wrote: »
    I read that too. The way it reads to me is a 100 from the 2013 campaign and 378 from the one we're in now but obviously they didn't do it like that. Lets hope they get the funding through what we all want! I think we'll have to wait until the next Policing Board meeting to hear anything more on recruitment/funding which i think is the at the end of January.
    February 5th, 2015

We'll all be watching the news that night lol

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Another reason why the government needs to get the thumb out and give more of a budget to the police:

"Six police officers who were suspended due to misconduct allegations have returned to work while their cases are still under investigation.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said it has taken the decision due to financial pressures on its budget."

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30792883

fish2690 wrote: »
    Another reason why the government needs to get the thumb out and give more of a budget to the police:

"Six police officers who were suspended due to misconduct allegations have returned to work while their cases are still under investigation.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said it has taken the decision due to financial pressures on its budget."

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30792883

Just seen that, just shows you, crazy it's got to this...

I don't know if anyone has read the Stormont House Agreement, it actually says that the PSNI budget is to be protected and I know it says about security, and we know it is ring fenced, but one part of the agreement it actually says that community policing is especially to be protected regarding budgets, that's where all the recruits are heading, the finance minister this morning has said that this agreement has already had a beneficial impact on the final budget for 2015/2016 what that is I don't know unfortunately.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=cPy0VNuGL8_Vaq7fgugE&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/390672/Stormont_House_Agreement.pdf&ved=0CCMQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFAIgxEDnjleZaPxHjH6slzgaRUUg

That's a direct download of the agreement to your phone's or computers to anyone interested

Thought I was going nuts not being able to find it lol knew I'd heard it mentioned on the news before. Certainly is a bit of positive news, hopefully official news will be announced soon from PSNI :)

Its like music to the ears....

"In the light of the importance placed by the Government on security, the Government expects Executive parties to protect PSNI budgets (and community policing in particular) from significant reductions."

Suzuka wrote: »
    Thought I was going nuts not being able to find it lol knew I'd heard it mentioned on the news before. Certainly is a bit of positive news, hopefully official news will be announced soon from PSNI :)

"In the light of the importance placed by the Government on security, the Government expects Executive parties to protect PSNI budgets (and community policing in particular) from significant reductions."

Haha apologies Suzuka, yeah I read the link over and went, wait that's not it lol

Suzuka wrote: »

It does look like great news that paragraph. Although, the word 'expect' worries me with the Executive bobos we have in Stormont. lol

Fingers and toes crossed thinking f it from a business point of view they have wasted too much in resources and money to drop us all.

What would be the point in having a high profile recruitment campaign and a decent merit pool to choose from for only 100 officers whenever they could exhaust the list and reduce their overall costings in the long term by using us instead of getting another campaign up and running.

I dunno about you's but I google psni every day to see if there's any news lol. I'm such a saddo

• Advertisement

fish2690 wrote: »
    It does look like great news that paragraph. Although, the word 'expect' worries me with the Executive bobos we have in Stormont. lol
    I'm hoping (and praying lol!) its a demand rather than a request to the Executive lol but as you say they seem to change their opinion like the wind

Fingers and toes crossed thinking f it from a business point of view they have wasted too much in resources and money to drop us all.

What would be the point in having a high profile recruitment campaign and a decent merit pool to choose from for only 100 officers whenever they could exhaust the list and reduce their overall costings in the long term by using us instead of getting another campaign up and running.

I dunno about you's but I google psni every day to see if there's any news lol. I'm such a saddo

Nothing sad about that, it's the career you want I can totally relate as I do the same haha. I have been told by good sources not to worry, and it said in the email we received from Deloitte twice that recruitment will continue as originally planned.

I think we just want the chief or the PSNI as a body to say, yes we will be taking on the original 378 as planned to put our minds at ease, I think as you say QueenP it wouldn't be visable to have a merit list of potentially 378 recruits and only take 100 and then possibly a year later or not even, less, and open a whole new campaign.

I think the chief knows what he's doing, we will be used I believe it's just more a when as said, it could be delayed in terms of timing but it would be better to delay and slow it down than stop all together but I have confidence with these new agreements that it will continue as normal, but again I touch wood as I say this lol, as always time will tell.

Edit: I think as well with the quote expect that it's part of the agreement that the PSNI receives the support needed to police in a modern society and to combat dissident activity, and deal with the past. So I see it as part of the agreement as Westminster will provide 30 million to police the past for the next 5 years so they will want a guarantee that freeing this cost up that it will be utilised appropriately in other areas I.e. community policing, again just my thoughts for what it's worth lol.

Then I am a saddo also lol. No, in all seriousness you are right. I keep hearing talks of a high number of officers retiring who will be on top dollars and we could be replacing them starting on £19k. Also, I found this from a Freedom of Information document on last year's recruitment campaign's costs:

The cost of this recruitment campaign will be approximately £1.1m which includes advertising costs of approximately £120k.

Can't see that figure being too different from the current campaign which supports your comment of only hiring 100 and need another campaign very shortly.

Has anyone asked for numbers passing through the AC yet? From that we could gather what their intensions are, for example if say 500-700 passed you could assume it would be for 100 officers taking those dropping out into consideration etc? OR if they have passed say 1200 then you could assume its the full whack?

Just guessing here tho. Does anyone know how many passed the last assessment center stage? Could gather from that they would put the same amount through for this one if they intend to appoint 370, if its lower can assume the worst that they will only take on 100?

Has anyone asked for numbers passing through the AC yet? From that we could gather what their intensions are, for example if say 500-700 passed you could assume it would be for 100 officers taking those dropping out into consideration etc? OR if they have passed say 1200 then you could assume its the full whack?

Just guessing here tho. Does anyone know how many passed the last assessment center stage? Could gather from that they would put the same amount through for this one if they intend to appoint 370, if its lower can assume the worst that they will only take on 100?

700 odd where in merit placing first campaign mate, I would say it will be the same for us possibly less as there was less applied this campaign than last, and with the rates of attrition etc I think it could be slightly less, and bare in mind there are folks on the merit who are waiting on the call as we speak in campaign 1, and who have got the call since too, providing finances don't kick us down, it's favourable definitely providing the remaining stages are passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

There were around 700 i think passed the assesment centre from the 1309 campaign

Get yourself over to the '1309 Campaign IST & AC Numbers' thread, a few below this one and all your questions will be answered :) it's pretty interesting.

Ah thanks guys, interesting indeed. If there were arounf 700 passed the AC last time and they are appointing a full 370 officers, you could imagine they will do the same this go around too. Which would essentially mean despite the politics being played they have the pool available for the FULL 370 officers which were supposed to be taken on.

I scored well in the AC but you don't know how many scored above you so its just a matter of waiting for the vetting forms, fingers crossed something this week.

haha you've made me feel better now lol all saddos together woohoo ðŸ˜႒ yea it's just confirmation we need instead of all our speculating lol that's the worst part not knowing where we stand!

But yea as you've said everything's seemed positive so far long may it continue ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

Gone very quiet....

Advertisement