Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hey,

Iv been neglecting my duties on here.

1- Big congrats to all who have passed the AC (ie received vetting forms)

2- Good luck to all those waiting for results

3- Good luck to those waiting to do the AC, especially my sista
    MrsGeneHunt

4-Fingers crossed for those waiting for the knod, especially GCBC

5- For those who didnt get the results they were hoping for NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Hey guys

just done the a/c on the 19th there. Not too sure how i dont i can only hope for the best, it was my first time doing it, ive sat the IST 5 times and this is my first time passing it LOL

ILL NEVER GIVE UP!!! heehee

I am a bit lost now with everything as its my first time gettingt his far!

Is it same to say that if you dont recieve a vetting form within say 2 weeks after sitting the A/C that you havent passed??

im really hoping im going to get some vetting forms

or is it safe to say that you may not recieve them until you get the results in 6 weeks time????

it seems people are gettingt vetting forms very early on, like 2 weeks after the A/C

can someone shed light for me!!!

by the way, good luck to everyone!!!

If you get vetting forms then you have passed. Not getting them however does not mean you failed. People who have scored higher get them first from what I have gathered.

Two weeks after is very quick to get them, It was a month or so at the quickest last campaign, and for a few people including myself Vetting forms were not sent out to nearly 6 months after the AC.

Dont panic just yet, You will probably get a pass letter before vetting is sent out, its perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Good luck to anyone going for ac today or this week.

Fingers crossed for yas.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Anyone up on wednesday morning? i've got mine at 9am gonna have to be up from about half 5 to make sure i'm ready and there in time :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JulieBelfast84

I had my AC there on friday the 20th. I wasnt as nervous as I thought I would have been.. but not sure how i done. Its just a waitin game now. Lovely people at my AC would be great to get into Garnerville with a few of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭doug-26

I had my AC there on friday the 20th. I wasnt as nervous as I thought I would have been.. but not sure how i done. Its just a waitin game now. Lovely people at my AC would be great to get into Garnerville with a few of them.

That may happen, you never know!! I'm sure you did well enough ;) Best of luck for your results :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Yous remember PYG, Bobbin, myself and PB999 got those unexpected vetting forms sent out the other day?

I'm still having a hard time trying not to think about it?
    Why were they sent early?
    Why does it say on one of the forms
    "This completed form must be returned as soon as possible or within 14 days from its receipt" ? What's the hurry ??
    also
    Why does it say on the same form
    "The vetting process commences after an applicants successful completion of the assessment centre."
    Does this mean, give us your vetting details and we will hold them incase you are successful, then we'll commence vetting? Or, does it mean, "If you were able to successfully complete the assessment centre, ie, not get lost in the middle of it and go home, then we will now vet you. Or does it mean, well done in the A/C, now we want to vet you soon as!?!?!?!?!?!?

Would it have hurt to supply a wee explanation just to put minds at rest?

The more I think about it the more I assure myself there's no way they could be sending them out based on our AC scores! But I also think that it's a bit uneconomical to send them out regardless of scores (the weight of the forms alone necessitates 2 first class stamps to post, then there's the manpower used to pack them and organise them for postage)

PYG and bobbin did their AC on monday 9th if i'm correct and pb999 and myself did ours on friday 13th.
    Is there anyone else on here who did their A/C or knows someone who did their A/C on or between the 9th and 13th?
    Did they get forms?

Sorry to be bringing up an old topic again, I just wanna know if I should be heartened by this or not.

any opinions?

Thanks!!
    (wow - huuge post!):o

it really sounds like i'm complaing that i have the form here - I'm NOT complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Inspector, all i can say is that if you have received vetting then you have passed you AC. However because of the long vetting process, im sure they want to get ahead of the game. Trust me, they may know you have passed, but there is no way they know if your high enough up the merit pool (your placement) to say that your are defintely in. I mean, I jumped up 7 points from my last assessment centre and only moved up 30 places, which isnt much. The scores seem to be getting higher, the more and more times they run these AC's. Just wait until all the AC's are done and phone up ref your merit placing. Patience my friend. I had to wait a year to get word.

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    Inspector, all i can say is that if you have received vetting then you have passed you AC. However because of the long vetting process, im sure they want to get ahead of the game. Trust me, they may know you have passed, but there is no way they know if your high enough up the merit pool (your placement) to say that your are defintely in. I mean, I jumped up 7 points from my last assessment centre and only moved up 30 places, which isnt much. The scores seem to be getting higher, the more and more times they run these AC's. Just wait until all the AC's are done and phone up ref your merit placing. Patience my friend. I had to wait a year to get word.

Everything you say makes sense,
    I've never for one moment presumed i'm gauranteed a place or anything.
    I just like to know what's going on.

So you think they're just trying to keep ahead this time round, that's a fair enough presumption I would say.
    I posted the vetting off, two sisters in across the water, prob take years to vet anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Inspector, id say your vetting should be ok. It seems to be if your from down south, i think a few guys have had issues with the Garda not sending stuff back in time.
    Keep em fingers crossed and dont get too wound up pal. This forum seems to get us all in a fluster from time to time lol

• Advertisement

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    Inspector, id say your vetting should be ok. It seems to be if your from down south, i think a few guys have had issues with the Garda not sending stuff back in time.
    Keep em fingers crossed and dont get too wound up pal. This forum seems to get us all in a fluster from time to time lol

Cheers dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

we have passed the a/c if we get our vetting forms (doesnt mean to say we've scored really well!) just that we've achieved whatever the minimum acceptable standard is. i read somewhere, perhaps on here that in order to save money now they are not doing medicals until you successfully pass vetting - perhaps an explanation as to why we got the forms so promptly??

as for the cover letter, thats standard, exactly the same as the one i got in campaign 13, the 14 days etc is all just standard stuff.

try not to stress to much about it, gotta think about your blood pressure for the medical!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

without trying to worry anyone, in c13 we were told we would hear ac results in 6 weeks, 2 days before that date i got my vetting forms so as you expect was over the moon, the next day i phoned consensia only to be told that all candidates were being sent out vetting forms and didn't neccesarily mean i had passed(talk about a downer) then the very next day (6 weeks to the day as we were told) i got a letter from consensia to say i had passed???? in saying that i can hardly see the psni sending out vetting forms for the good if their health so not really sure why consensia told me what they did

without trying to worry anyone, in c13 we were told we would hear ac results in 6 weeks, 2 days before that date i got my vetting forms so as you expect was over the moon, the next day i phoned consensia only to be told that all candidates were being sent out vetting forms and didn't neccesarily mean i had passed(talk about a downer) then the very next day (6 weeks to the day as we were told) i got a letter from consensia to say i had passed???? in saying that i can hardly see the psni sending out vetting forms for the good if their health so not really sure why consensia told me what they did

I contacted consensia the other day and they said i should not assume i have passed, that all AC candidates would receive vetting forms. It takes long enough for the PSNI to trawl through the vetting as it is, so why would they want 100's more to vet, when they are actually fails. It takes alot of time, money and resources and i cant see the PSNI vetting everyone. Maybe PSNI moderator can shed some light. Im still taking the vetting forms as a sign that i have passed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I contacted consensia the other day and they said i should not assume i have passed, that all AC candidates would receive vetting forms. It takes long enough for the PSNI to trawl through the vetting as it is, so why would they want 100's more to vet, when they are actually fails. It takes alot of time, money and resources and i cant see the PSNI vetting everyone. Maybe PSNI moderator can shed some light. Im still taking the vetting forms as a sign that i have passed.

The general rule is you get Vetting forms if you pass the A/C.

Believe me you passed. Stop worrying about it, if you had got no vetting forms for 6 months like me then it would be time to worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

i would tend to agree with psni and gcbc that you have passed just baffled as why consensia wont just say that

Consensia probably dont know how it works. The vetting is nothing to do with them. Then again anytime I called consensia they were very hard to get information out of.

Thanks, PSNI, Goodcopbadcop and uncleneilly. :D:)

GCBC- 6months?????????????????:confused::confused::confused:

6 months after I passed Ac until i got vetting forms

• Advertisement

WOW:eek::eek:

Do you know what the hold up was?

I guess im lucky to get my before even 2weeks after my AC.

Maybe they werent sure of the look of you, dodgy character!!!!:D Only kidding:)

No idea.

My theory based on the timing of other similar people getting their vetting is that I passed along with loads of others, and was kept on some kind of backup list incase i would be needed since there is generally less catholic applicants.

I guess that by Feb of this year they calculated they would need extra catholics and then they sent me the vetting, medical etc.

Why else would i be kept in the dark for so long?

It also explains why there were people who passed and got Dear john letters and I didnt.

No idea.

My theory based on the timing of other similar people getting their vetting is that I passed along with loads of others, and was kept on some kind of backup list incase i would be needed since there is generally less catholic applicants.

I guess that by Feb of this year they calculated they would need extra catholics and then they sent me the vetting, medical etc.

Why else would i be kept in the dark for so long?

It also explains why there were people who passed and got Dear john letters and I didnt.

Ah right. I hope they dont put me on some silly list. Here's a wee question for you, Will i receive a medical date before my vetting is complete?? :)

Well The list i have imagined is only because I was catholic I assume, since there are catholics being taken in with very high merit numbers.

About getting your medical, I would think you will have it by september october. I dont know if it means your vetting is complete or not though.

:D
    Well The list i have imagined is only because I was catholic I assume, since there are catholics being taken in with very high merit numbers.

About getting your medical, I would think you will have it by september october. I dont know if it means your vetting is complete or not though.

Thanks, sorry for asking that question, you cant really give answers to questions like that.

Well i must shimmy off to my TV and watch the bill:)

Untill next time..............Take care and all the best

Recruitment

Police Trainees

These provisions streamline the police trainee recruitment process to allow the PSNI to make provisional police trainee appointments, subject to the satisfactory completion of medical tests and security vetting

13. These provisions will amend the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 and change the police trainee recruitment procedures to allow the medicalassessment and security vetting processes to take place after the merit pool of candidates is established, instead of beforehand.

14. As there are only a finite number of police trainee places available (440 per year), a large majority of candidates (at least 1800 per year) are not considered for a position as they fail to score high enough in merit order to be offered one of the limited number of places. These candidates are nevertheless subjected unnecessarily to the security vetting and medical assessment

The policy objective of this proposal is to allow the Chief Constable to make provisional police trainee appointments subject to the satisfactory completion of medical tests and security vetting. Should a candidate fail either part of these processes, the Chief Constable can provisionally appoint the next applicant on the merit order list to replace the failed candidate.

16. This will obviate the need for a large number of candidates, who will not be offered a police trainee position, being subjected unnecessarily to the medical assessment and security vetting processes Both the PSNI and Policing Board holdthe view that undertaking security vetting and medical examination of a large group of candidates to satisfy the “qualified applicant” criteria, when at the conclusion of the recruitment process only some of that group will have been successful, is both costly and time consuming.

18. Each applicant costs approximately £300 to process through the securityvetting and medical assessment processes. A figure of at least £540,000 per annum is indicative of the savings to be achieved if 1800 fewer candidates were security vetted and medically assessed. As well as obviating the need for a large number of candidates to be subjected to the medical assessment and security vetting processes, the following
    efficiencies and advantages will be achieved as a result of this change:

• Tangible annual cash savings of at least £540,000;
    • Non-tangible opportunity costs in terms of time delays and staff time.

The overall PSNI recruitment process will be significantly streamlined and made more efficient e.g. the Patten Report recommended that the recruitment process is completed within 6 months. PSNI currently find this target challenging; it is critical that current recruitment processes are streamlined as much as possible before a recruitment contracting-out tender exercise is finalised in September 07.

sorry if the above is a bit hard to read but it was copied and pasted from a strange file type and was as good as i could get it.

Its the draft document for the new recrutiment guidelines, been posted before but just incase anyone missed it, its interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I did a little tidying up on it there... good post!

Good work! ;)

was a bit messy indeed. it should be useful for alot of people wondering what happens next and why, cause this is what I base anything I know about the process on, the rest is a guess :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jason Clerkin

Hi can anyone tell me a couple of things about the Roleplay..
    1. Can there be more then one actor involved in a given roleplay.
    2. In each of the scenarios am I taking the position of a policeman or can I be anybody?

Also the written exercise seems like it is very similar to the situational interview except I have to put it in writing instead of talking about it.. Is this correct?

Any help is appreciated :)

P.s THanks Given for your advice in previous Thread... how did you get on in A/c.

Advertisement