Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why Does The Irish Media Hate Conor Mcgregor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Autochange wrote:
    I dont know about this begrudge thing that keeps coming up.Why is it supposedly an Irish thing? Can you just not like someone without being called a begrudger? I hate Bono for example. i think he is an insufferable arsehole . That is all. Nothing more nothing less.

In my experience I have found that a lot of people in this country tend to not like people who have done well for themselves and enjoy the fruits of their labour.
    I frequently hear people deride such people without even really knowing them, I have probably done it myself too.
    Sure somebody can just not like somebody, but all too often the real reason for dislike is in all honesty is jealousy of what the other person has/ achieved.
    It probably isn't an Irish thing to be fair, it's probably a human/primal thing. We all want to be the alpha male deep down I suppose.
    And yes, bono is an a**hole, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I'll give you one reason.
    He walks out on stage in front of an international audience and has Worn a suit with f*ck you all over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I'll give you one reason.
    He walks out on stage in front of an international audience and has Worn a suit with f*ck you all over it.

He is known worldwide for his attitude and persona which has made him a multimillionaire. He will be 100 million dollars richer after Saturday. That is the character he has to play to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Schwiiing wrote:
    Dunne also had humility and modesty and carried himself with a bit of class on his way to a world title in the same 'combat sport' sphere McGregor is in.

Schwiiing wrote:
    He surely made a few quid in his day but we never had pictures of him standing on a rented Rolls Royce and poncing about in a private jet.

Schwiiing wrote:
    Same with Harrington, O Driscoll, O Connell, O Sullivan etc. All reached the top of their respective sports and carried themselves with dignity and class. No one ever begrudged them their success.

Schwiiing wrote:
    Dunne also had humility and modesty and carried himself with a bit of class on his way to a world title in the same 'combat sport' sphere McGregor is in.

Schwiiing wrote:
    He surely made a few quid in his day but we never had pictures of him standing on a rented Rolls Royce and poncing about in a private jet.

Schwiiing wrote:
    Same with Harrington, O Driscoll, O Connell, O Sullivan etc. All reached the top of their respective sports and carried themselves with dignity and class. No one ever begrudged them their success.

Bernard Dunne reached absolutely nowhere near the level McGregor is at. Its nowhere even remotely close. I have met him though and he was the soundest guy ever to be fair.
    The other people you've named again can't compare to McGregor in any way at all. It's just a completely different level of celebrity and stardom.
    McGregor really is getting close to being at a Muhammed Ali kind if level the way things are going.
    Comparing him with other Irish sports people is a bit ignorant and shows a clear lack of knowledge.
    Rory Mcillroy could maybe come kind of close to where McGregor is, but not really tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Autochange wrote: »
    He is known worldwide for his attitude and persona which has made him a multimillionaire. He will be 100 million dollars richer after Saturday. That is the character he has to play to now.

That is well and good, but it doesn't mean we have to like him, or think that his behaviour is poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

whippet wrote: »
    So because I don't like a fella who wears a suit with '**** you' all over it I'm a silver spooned middle class snob?

The stereotyping that is been done by McGregor fans is bizarre. Massive chips on shoulders.

Yes when McGregor first turned up to late late - what was that 4 years ago - he was totally and utterly charming

As I said - I looked in to see what the hype was all all about.

People going on about accent is balls - he has just changed. you can have a working class accent and be classy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

McGregor is an amazing athlete and has managed to carve out a niche in MMA that he has been handsomely rewarded for. But to carve out that niche he has to create a character/persona for self promotion that for a lot of people is unlikeable and for some boarders on racism.
    I believe it is all an act and done for the media to promote himself or the fight. However threads like this, and some MMA fans in general claiming that the media treat him badly is laughable. They are reacting to the act Conor is putting on. They are doing what Conor needs, they are feeding the McGregor machine and the media are effectively printing the money for Conor. This is all a game and Conor and the media need each other - its a symbiotic relationship where one needs publicity and the other needs to fill print or airtime or get clicks.
    The idea its only because he's from the wrong side of the tracks is also laughable. As others have said so many of the nations top boxers have come from similar backgrounds with little of the same treatment. The media have taken a dislike to Conor because his persona is dislikeable.
    I admire him as an athlete and for what he has achieved. However I don't like what he does to promote himself and the MMA fan boys who defend his casual racism are just as bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

eurokev wrote: »
    Bernard Dunne reached absolutely nowhere near the level McGregor is at. Its nowhere even remotely close. I have met him though and he was the soundest guy ever to be fair.
    The other people you've named again can't compare to McGregor in any way at all. It's just a completely different level of celebrity and stardom.
    McGregor really is getting close to being at a Muhammed Ali kind if level the way things are going.
    Comparing him with other Irish sports people is a bit ignorant and shows a clear lack of knowledge.
    Rory Mcillroy could maybe come kind of close to where McGregor is, but not really tbh
    The dislike is nothing new though, people and the media haven't liked McGregor for a good while, even since when he was at a level lower than any of those guys mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

whippet wrote: »
    Yeah ... those lads from cork have achieved nothing !!

Actually they are genuinely nice guys, tell a good story and people warm to them due to their achievements and personalities... McGregor on the other hand is just the total opposite with regards to personality.

The treatment of Annalise Murphy and the O' Donovans last summer shows where we are as a media and as a nation.

We celebrate losers. We always have and always will.

They all received pretty substantial funding from Sport Ireland to compete in obscure niche sports in the Olympics. They went out there, they competed and they lost. So, they come home to massive parties in Dublin and Cork, to Late Late Show appearances, to magazine covers and everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's a love-in from the media and the public.

To quote Conor from 2014:

"But you said congratulations I'm now No. 9, if you think I celebrate being No. 9 you're highly mistaken my friend".

Just over 2 years later he was the featherweight world champion, 3 years later the lightweight world champion. No funding along the way, no leg-ups or assistance from the government just sheer determination.

People don't even bother to scratch the surface of his character and see the tremendous loyalty, kindness, humility, sacrifice and dedication in the man, all they want to see are the fight promotion antics which serve a very practical purpose in a sport where more people watching translates to more income to bring in for his family.

Conor's a winner. The O' Donovans are losers. Annalise Murphy is a loser. Come back to me in 2020 when they win gold at the Olympics and I'll be the first to congratulate them.

In the meantime, the media can continue to celebrate losers and people can continue to dislike Conor, while he's busy winning and inspiring a whole generation of younger people to work hard to chase their own impossible dreams.

This was fantastic the way Mayweather turned it on its head.

When there was no baying drunk mob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Because the Irish media like most things in this country are 5 steps behind everyone else.

Why does every other country's media love Conor? Why is he a global superstar? Because he's a wet dream for a producer; naturally good speaker, engages in every question, never repeats himself, a constant stream of great material quotes and attitude and usually a few funny lines. Look how the media scrum to get at him in Vegas.

The Irish media wouldn't have a clue how to use any of his soundbites or even how to illicit them. Being interviewed by most Irish presenters is a kin to being drowned by a mouse peeing in your mouth; you just want to get it over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Because he acts like a prick and is an incredibly boring individual.

People in Ireland don't tend to like people who blow they're own trumpet and it has nothing to do with begrudgery (as I'm sure that world will be thrown out in response) more to with the fact that people who blow their own trumpet tend to be painful to listen to and you just want them to shut up.

Because he acts like a prick prick and is an incredibly boring individual.

He may act like a prick, but unsure how anyone could call him boring.

Truth is the Irish media wouldn't know what to do with him; they'd be afraid to do an interview as it might upset the viewers.

I literally cannot stand watching anything on Irish produced TV, any sports I'll always watch on English or American channels. Why are we so bad at this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

.ak wrote: »
    He may act like a prick, but unsure how anyone could call him boring.

Truth is the Irish media wouldn't know what to do with him; they'd be afraid to do an interview as it might upset the viewers.

I literally cannot stand watching anything on Irish produced TV, any sports I'll always watch on English or American channels. Why are we so bad at this game?

He's terribly boring for a large amount of people.

A few curse words and a load of shouting does not make somebody interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

No government support??? He was on €188 for long enough!

He's very dislikeable. He's devsive and he has a fairly chequered past tbf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's a load of nonsense wonder, I don't remember anyone ****ting on Katie Taylor back in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This rant/dissing at other sports competitors to try and big up Conor reeks of desperation..it doesn't even warrant a rebuttal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

His 'character' has to hang around with Irish gangland criminals??

He's terribly boring for a large amount of people.

A few curse words and a load of shouting does not make somebody interesting.

I've only heard that in his Floyd/Diaz pressers.

If you actually bothered listening to his proper interviews he's very articulate, sharp as a whip, and controversial.

He's the definition of interesting sports persona; most sports people are not blessed with that and just trot out the same soundbites.

That's why, as I said above, every other countries media scramble to get talk time with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm not sure which is worse tbh- McGregor himself who's just playing an act to make money or the mindless idiots that "follow" him and think is some kind of talent.
    I don't think ever the phrase "money can't buy you class" were more apt for an individual. They should put his name beside the word crass in the dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

His 'character' has to hang around with Irish gangland criminals??

I wasnt aware of that.

Some may like him, others don;t .I doubt he cares.
    Nor do i anymore. unFollowing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

ooter wrote: »
    If he spoke with a country accent and said things like "pull like a dog" and shteak and shpuds" and never actually won anything they'd probably love him and ministers and the fourth estate would be meeting him coming off the plane.

No I don't think if he had a country accent and still spouted racist nonsense there'd be lads greeting him off planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

road_high wrote: »
    I'm not sure which is worse tbh- McGregor himself who's just playing an act to make money or the mindless idiots that "follow" him and think is some kind of talent.
    I don't think ever the phrase "money can't buy you class" were more apt for an individual. They should put his name beside the word crass in the dictionary.

User name checks out.

The treatment of Annalise Murphy and the O' Donovans last summer shows where we are as a media and as a nation.

We celebrate losers. We always have and always will.

They all received pretty substantial funding from Sport Ireland to compete in obscure niche sports in the Olympics. They went out there, they competed and they lost. So, they come home to massive parties in Dublin and Cork, to Late Late Show appearances, to magazine covers and everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's a love-in from the media and the public.

To quote Conor from 2014:

"But you said congratulations I'm now No. 9, if you think I celebrate being No. 9 you're highly mistaken my friend".

Just over 2 years later he was the featherweight world champion, 3 years later the lightweight world champion. No funding along the way, no leg-ups or assistance from the government just sheer determination.

People don't even bother to scratch the surface of his character and see the tremendous loyalty, kindness, humility, sacrifice and dedication in the man, all they want to see are the fight promotion antics which serve a very practical purpose in a sport where more people watching translates to more income to bring in for his family.

Conor's a winner. The O' Donovans are losers. Annalise Murphy is a loser. Come back to me in 2020 when they win gold at the Olympics and I'll be the first to congratulate them.

In the meantime, the media can continue to celebrate losers and people can continue to dislike Conor, while he's busy winning and inspiring a whole generation of younger people to work hard to chase their own impossible dreams.

None of those athletes are racists though...

All those scumbag, pale skinned, man bun wearing scrawny skangers with their "**** you, imma do what I want, be a prick because I don't give a **** what people think" attitudes are because of McGregor.

D.Q wrote: »
    User name checks out.

Why becuse I think/know McGregor is an unadulterated chav? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22 whiteknight12

The Irish media are not journalists in any sense of the word, they write populist opinion pieces that are categorised as journalism.

It's a bit like the US subprime crisis, if you throw enough ****ty things together into one big product, that product has a totally different set of properties. Incorrect, it's just a bigger ball of ****. Irish media are complete losers and populists; their click bait online content speaks volumes. Instead of refining their product they've whored themselves out.

McGregor is playing in a different pond and I'm sure doesn't care that some odious PC gutter dweller like Una Mullaly etc doesn't like his persona.

.ak wrote: »
    I've only heard that in his Floyd/Diaz pressers.

If you actually bothered listening to his proper interviews he's very articulate, sharp as a whip, and controversial.

He's the definition of interesting sports persona; most sports people are not blessed with that and just trot out the same soundbites.

That's why, as I said above, every other countries media scramble to get talk time with him.

Articulate? He's a mumbling **** who talks like a 10 year old reading a book, following the sentences with his finger.

I wasnt aware of that.

Some may like him, others don;t .I doubt he cares.
    Nor do i anymore. unFollowing thread

Keep that mind closed - you might learn nothing.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    None of those athletes are racists though...

All those scumbag, pale skinned, man bun wearing scrawny skangers with their "**** you, imma do what I want, be a prick because I don't give a **** what people think" attitudes are because of McGregor.

Indeed. Chavs follow chavs and sadly in the case of McGregor, try emulate one another. He's a desperate role model for the working classes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Conor Mcgrgor never did nothing much for me to be honest. I think the main reason there is a dislike for him is because the sport comes across as very rough.
    If you asked me who were the people that I knew that followed it. There rough lads. Who were rude and disrespectful in school and still are as adults. It's not to do with being from a poor area or your background.
    I also think parents don't want to promote it to there kids because they don't want there kids to get involved in what appears to be such a violent sport.
    I have no idea what he's like as a person he might be lovely or horrible. I'd like to meet him.

Advertisement