Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

maximoose wrote: »
    August as far as I know, interesting to see what happens with it.

Lets just hope sly sports don't get it otherwise we'll see some big events become PPV. They've ramped up their PPV boxing recently and some of the cards have been pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I highly doubt a PPV model will work over here given the frequency of UFC events and the American time difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

They've been giving the UFC (well, Conor) a lot more coverage in their news lately, makes me wonder if they'll be pushing for the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

ASOT wrote: »
    Great response by Lentz

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/13/10764972/nik-lentz-issues-statement-in-response-to-b-j-penns-callout

"You can go to Greg Jackson's, you can go to Jermaine Jackson's, you can listen to Mahalia Jackson, you can resurrect Jackson ****in' POLLOCK to paint you a better picture of yourself than the one we all see; but..."

Some beautiful images in that letter, excellent.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I highly doubt a PPV model will work over here given the frequency of UFC events and the American time difference.

5 years ago that would have been true.

They done I think 4 PPV boxing nights within about 6/8 weeks just before Christmas. If they got UFC I would fully expect(as I said before) some events on PPV, obviously not them all. Likes of UFC London with Bisping/Silva or any McGregor fight at the minute would have a pretty big interest. You just need to look at UK sport websites to see how much more coverage the UFC, and specifically Conor, are getting now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

McGregor's popularity might be the worst thing to ever happen for fans when it comes to watching live events in IRE/UK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

As long as PPV is still an option on Youtube/Xbox I'm happy.

Couldn't stomach forking over for PPV on top of a Sky Sports sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

its been discussed plenty of times,ppv's in UK/IRE wont be happening dont worry.

darced wrote: »

Worked alright for them about 20 years ago for Tyson fights. Be interesting to know actual viewing figures for bigger selected events but you need to factor in some people may not currently pay for the extra btsports sub whereas they may be happy paying for the odd 1 off UFC from a basic package.

Interest in the sport has grown immensely in the last few years, adding into that a polarizing fighter like McGregor and it will continue to grow further. It may only be 1 or 2 events a year that they put on PPV but I'm sure it will happen if SS get the rights....so lets hope they don't!

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    Worked alright for them about 20 years ago for Tyson fights. Be interesting to know actual viewing figures for bigger selected events but you need to factor in some people may not currently pay for the extra btsports sub whereas they may be happy paying for the odd 1 off UFC from a basic package.

Interest in the sport has grown immensely in the last few years, adding into that a polarizing fighter like McGregor and it will continue to grow further. It may only be 1 or 2 events a year that they put on PPV but I'm sure it will happen if SS get the rights....so lets hope they don't!

But what happens when mcgregor is gone? (which wont be far away cant see him fight till his late 30s or 40)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Gamebred wrote: »
    its been discussed plenty of times,ppv's in UK/IRE wont be happening dont worry.

Why not their biggest star is Irish? You think ufc think we won't pay for ppv. I don't know what BT are paying UFC for rights to show it.

I think UFC will go the WWE model here. PPVs on sky box office and then show count down shows and fox cards on ordinary channels.

People are buying them online at moment here

Gamebred wrote: »
    But what happens when mcgregor is gone? (which wont be far away cant see him fight till his late 30s or 40)

lol seriously? This is sly sports we're talking about here, the masters of fake hype and promotion! If they said a wet paper bag fighting a wet piece of kitchen roll is exciting they'll get enough sheeple to believe it and pay for it.

Did anyone here ever think Amir Khan was a real top ranked boxer? Doesn't matter, SS told you he was and charged you £15 a time to listen to them hype him up and make him out to be the best pound for pound fighter ever.

lol seriously? This is sly sports we're talking about here, the masters of fake hype and promotion! If they said a wet paper bag fighting a wet piece of kitchen roll is exciting they'll get enough sheeple to believe it and pay for it.

Did anyone here ever think Amir Khan was a real top ranked boxer? Doesn't matter, SS told you he was and charged you £15 a time to listen to them hype him up and make him out to be the best pound for pound fighter ever.

Yeah the boxing comparison doesnt work,khan was a top level well known olympian before even fighting pro,mma is not as big as you think sky have nobody to hype for ppvs,you think they are gonna try sell a ppv of condit v lawler? nobody in england has heard of them good luck selling that.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

do BT have ad breaks during PPVs/fight nights? do they show european fight nights such as the upcoming london ones? have BT but have watched last PPV on UFC tv.
    trialling fight pass at the moment , good going through the old fights but would i be right in thinking there is no point keeping it on if you have BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

sky do PPV for WWE dont they? arent they on at stupid o clock in the morning too?

LaGlisse wrote: »
    do BT have ad breaks during PPVs/fight nights? do they show european fight nights such as the upcoming london ones? have BT but have watched last PPV on UFC tv.
    trialling fight pass at the moment , good going through the old fights but would i be right in thinking there is no point keeping it on if you have BT?

You only get fightpass events and fighpass prelims of every other card thats on fox or ppv,I'd keep bt.

sky do PPV for WWE dont they? arent they on at stupid o clock in the morning too?

WWE wrestling has a much bigger fanbase than mma.

Yes BT have ads during every event they show. Fight nights have even more ads, maybe because of the ad breaks on fox in the USA. I'd say BT show about 95% of events at present, theres been a few fightpass only events with no coverage.

In other news.........Tim Kennedy as we know has been hunting Hitler but now the tables have turned on him and he's been threatened by ISIS! :eek:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/14/fbi-investigates-islamic-state-threat-to-ufc-middleweight-tim-kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hasn't it long been said that Sky only do events on ppv at the insistence of the WWE themselves?

• Advertisement

Interesting stuff. Where would I find this or what would I search for? Is that only for watching it live or including replays? Do you know any way of checking Slys recent PPV event figures?

Taking McGregor/Aldo as the most recent example and we'll just base it on the early PPV price of £15(think it usually goes upto £20 if purchases on the day) that would have an income of £1.86m.....obviously only IF all those viewers bought the PPV package. Usually PPV fights are only shown on the standard SS channels about 1 week after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I reckon Sky could do that very thing, buy it and have PPV's for Conor and Ronda if she ever comes back.

They only really seem to cover MMA when Conor is involved. I hope they don't get it though, I like that BT just have the American coverage, I could see Sky sending their own presenters to the show for commentary and analysis.

Its a pretty confusing website lol I'll try and get my head around it tomorrow. Yeah thats what I was saying maybe only be a few selected events for PPV and obviously with the interest in Conor ATM it would most likely be him.....unfortunately some people seem to insist that I meant every UFC event :rolleyes::D
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I could see Sky sending their own presenters to the show for commentary and analysis.

Well yes its obviously a possibility but Dana has said 1 main principles with the UFC coverage is that they sell it as a package and do everything themselves. Maybe (again IF sly happens) its more likely they'll have their own studio with a few fighters/pundits and talk before and after the fights in a similar way to what fox sports are currently doing,except they're in the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lukker- wrote: »
    I reckon Sky could do that very thing, buy it and have PPV's for Conor and Ronda if she ever comes back.

They only really seem to cover MMA when Conor is involved. I hope they don't get it though, I like that BT just have the American coverage, I could see Sky sending their own presenters to the show for commentary and analysis.

And they wouldn't even be MMA presenters. Would laugh if they sent Froch and Nelson over to cover the events.

On the bright side, there'd more than likely be no more Gareth Davies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Taking McGregor/Aldo as the most recent example and we'll just base it on the early PPV price of £15(think it usually goes upto £20 if purchases on the day) that would have an income of £1.86m.....obviously only IF all those viewers bought the PPV package. Usually PPV fights are only shown on the standard SS channels about 1 week after the event.

Pre WWE Network, PPV purchases for Wrestling fans converted to generally 10% of TV show viewers for most PPVs bar the big ones.

There is literally no profit making here for Sky Sports. More advertising money up for grabs. BT have ramped up advertising for the numbered events now. They used to have no ads on them in years gone by.

Not sure why someone keeps calling them 'Sly' either.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Pre WWE Network, PPV purchases for Wrestling fans converted to generally 10% of TV show viewers for most PPVs bar the big ones.

There is literally no profit making here for Sky Sports. More advertising money up for grabs. BT have ramped up advertising for the numbered events now. They used to have no ads on them in years gone by.

Not sure why someone keeps calling them 'Sly' either.

I'm not sure using wrestling is a fair example. I thought the majority(or certainly a lot) of wrestling fans were kids who would not be in the position to pay for a PPV event possibly leading to the low numbers quoted. Whereas the majority of UFC fans would be adults, have bank accounts and credit cards who can pay for PPV events. I've not watched wrestling since I was about 12 but thats the impression I get.

Not sure why you would quote me then refer to me as "someone" but whatever. Its my pet name for the rupert murdoch owned company

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

That's it wandi get back in your box you moron. He will be realised and be fighting in Rizin I'd assume.

Edit- yep he was realised and will go straight to Rizin.

Wanderlei Silva

Silva's Retraction
    I Was Wrong, apologize.

"In July of last year, I posted a number of comments on Facebook and Twitter, which included repeated claims that the UFC "fixed fights" and that I could "prove it." I hereby retract any such statements in their entirety as I failed to understand that the term "fight-fixing" specifically refers to the illegal action or practice of dishonestly determining the outcome of a contest before it occurs. I understand the UFC's reputation would be harmed if my fans and others actually believed the UFC engaged in fight fixing, and I have no evidence to support such a claim. I apologize for any misunderstanding my comments may have caused."

Wanderlei Silva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

martyos121 wrote: »
    And they wouldn't even be MMA presenters. Would laugh if they sent Froch and Nelson over to cover the events.

On the bright side, there'd more than likely be no more Gareth Davies. :)

Gary Lineker will be rolled out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement