Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

• 04-06-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Bryanwilder

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, can anyone tell me when Dublin Fire service do are recruiting? Is it various times of the year?

Thanks,

Bryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Apparently DFB are recruiting shortly. Have heard this from a few people. Definitely this year anyway

Apparently DFB are recruiting shortly. Have heard this from a few people. Definitely this year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bryanwilder

Fire1985 wrote:

Are you firefighter yourself yeah? I've been looking around and can't seem to find. Would you send me a link of something when you hear of it?

Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thatboy

http://irishfireservices.ie/forum

Rumour on above forum today.

"Approval has been granted for recruitment of 66 firefighters made up of two classes next year. First class predicted to start in January. Should be advertised within the next month, I'd presume on Publicjobs.ie as before."

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bryanwilder

thatboy wrote:
    "Approval has been granted for recruitment of 66 firefighters made up of two classes next year. First class predicted to start in January. Should be advertised within the next month, I'd presume on Publicjobs.ie as before."

Thanks, appreciate that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Kidasa

Will it be 3 years in control first? Are the people in control from the last drive going to get out of control?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Wonder when it will be advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SAFO

Kidasa wrote: »
    Will it be 3 years in control first? Are the people in control from the last drive going to get out of control?

No apparently they are going to get screwed. From the get go each class was advised by DFB management that they would form the next recruit class of firefighters into DFB. All recruitment into DFB was supposed to be through the control room but it now appears that commitment has been reneged on. The present ESCO group have been basically told by SIPTU to Foxtrot Oscar as they have no interest in them. "Ain't they lucky to have jobs" Some representation from the union.
    They have been now told that they will have to fulfill the contracts they signed on joining.
    These guys had to do two aptitudes tests to get in to the control room and all this for something like €9.84 an hour before shift pay.
    Nobody in the DFB seems to cares what happens to the ESCOs except for a few lads who work on the same watches as them.
    I know some lads who are ESCOs and they are bitterly disappointed with what is supposedly to happen to them.
    Oh their reps have told them that they can apply for the firefighter positions. Yippee.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

SAFO wrote: »
    No apparently they are going to get screwed. From the get go each class was advised by DFB management that they would form the next recruit class of firefighters into DFB. All recruitment into DFB was supposed to be through the control room but it now appears that commitment has been reneged on. The present ESCO group have been basically told by SIPTU to Foxtrot Oscar as they have no interest in them. "Ain't they lucky to have jobs" Some representation from the union.
    They have been now told that they will have to fulfill the contracts they signed on joining.
    These guys had to do two aptitudes tests to get in to the control room and all this for something like €9.84 an hour before shift pay.
    Nobody in the DFB seems to cares what happens to the ESCOs except for a few lads who work on the same watches as them.
    I know some lads who are ESCOs and they are bitterly disappointed with what is supposedly to happen to them.
    Oh their reps have told them that they can apply for the firefighter positions. Yippee.
    How many of them is there? Very poor form. Surely they'll be looked after if they can make it to the interview stage I the process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Can IFESA stand up for you guys ?

How many of them is there? Very poor form. Surely they'll be looked after if they can make it to the interview stage I the process?

The lads I know are not holding their breath on that one. Besides the aptitude tests are lotteries at the best of times so not all of them will be so lucky again.

But you are right it really is bad form and the worst of it for me is the attitude of the union towards them. They are an absolute disgrace.

D Trent wrote: »
    Can IFESA stand up for you guys ?

I'm not an ESCO I just know a couple of them and they are afraid to kick up about it. They all fear that they might be victimised if they complain to much as they are on temporary contracts.

IFESA are not recognised by Dublin City Council as far as I'm aware so they would not be any use to the lads.

SIPTU are no use anymore as they're too cosy with management to serve their members well.

Any word on when this will be advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bombero

thatboy wrote: »
    Any word on when this will be advertised?

register for job alerts on publicjobs.ie and you'll get an email as soon as its relased

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

As far as I'm aware they intend on utilizing the same process as last time

As far as I'm aware they intend on utilizing the same process as last time

Including an online aptitude?

I've also heard there is intention to use the remaining panel from the internal competition. That's hearsay/rumour from bumping into someone in supermarket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

thatboy wrote:
    I've also heard there is intention to use the remaining panel from the internal competition. That's hearsay/rumour from bumping into someone in supermarket now.

I was talking to someone who is a fireman with dublin fire brigade and he said there were 80 spots to be filled with 10 held back for the call centre people from last recruitment as per croke park/Harrington road agreement. Also just hearsay though

There are only 8 people remaining on the current Firefighter panel (Internal from 4 Dublin LAs). That panel expires later this month.

My guess is they'll have to re-apply when it's advertised within the 4 Dublin LAs again. No idea on timeframe though.

It was decided the other day by the 4 Local Authorities that recruitment will be now internal only, like the the last firefighter competition. Siptu are not happy and have written to the city manager to complain. The CFO apparently is also unhappy with this option.

• Advertisement

The remaining members of the previous firefighter panel were apparently contacted 2/3 weeks ago to inquire if they were still interested in the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

It was decided the other day by the 4 Local Authorities that recruitment will be now internal only, like the the last firefighter competition. Siptu are not happy and have written to the city manager to complain. The CFO apparently is also unhappy with this option.
    If that is the case why does this state that PAS/publicjobs.ie will be involved in recruitment process ?

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=884229518314538&id=164905970246900

D Trent wrote: »
    If that is the case why does this state that PAS/publicjobs.ie will be involved in recruitment process ?

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=884229518314538&id=164905970246900

Quite simple really: the last internal competition was also done through Public Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well, that's a killer was fairly interested in applying. So the 4 LA's will hire internally, which is the next question, how do you get a job there?

Amazing how AGS couldn't do this with the Reserves yet the LAs are allowed. Whats the logic on it, is there a reason they want to just hire from internally, will it be cheaper?

At leased they got one thing correct in contacting the panel to see if they where interested rather than just dropping them.

Its all about keeping staff numbers down. Plus they were very happy with the quality of candidate from the last 4 Dublin LAs comp.

So theyre going to recruit 66 internally?

Any further updates on internal or external recruiting lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well looking at that Siptu notice if they don't go public theres going to be a strike !

Anyone know the requirements for DFB ?

• Advertisement

The 66 is Firefighters plus ESCOs. They want it all internally, i.e no public comp at all. Meetings ongoing so could change.

Advertisement