Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who likes Disco?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

If you like some original disco then you should come by Twisted Pepper for Junior Spesh 1st birthday. I'm playing Disco in the cafe from midnight. :cool:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/333040250101092/340016126070171

That's after the final 'Smooth as Funk' to be hosted in Bia Bar from 9pm so go there first! :D
    https://www.facebook.com/events/163623800434358/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweded

I am not a big fan of Disco, but enjoyed the thread very much. Nice music...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Disco's back! Daft Punk, Pharrell and Nile Rodgers ....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Anybody go to Horse Meat Disco last night in the Twisted Pepper? It was EXCELLENT. I wish there were more disco nights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Also.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

• Advertisement

any more disco nights iampstop? You cant beat em.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

TheBza wrote: »

I think they are done and dusted for now, last one was a few months back.

TheBza wrote: »
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think they are done and dusted for now, last one was a few months back.

I don't live in Ireland anymore. Got forced out by the lack of jobs. :(
    I live in Canada now and am just waiting on my shipping to arrive. I'll be setting my decks up as soon as they arrive and putting together a mix of some of the great disco records I've dug up since I've been here. I'll upload and link here when it's done.

Not sure who might be doing pure disco nights around Dublin now but look up 'Bang The Box' with Al Murphy and Ian Macq. They play a load of disco edits.

Cool, il check definitely check em out, cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

barring a few songs it was a shyt genre.

I disagree. Like anything that gets very popular very quickly there will people only in it to make a quick buck. This is pretty much exactly what happened to Disco. So a lot of what you hear as called Disco is very commercial and give the genre a bad name.
    Think of it like this, is all you'd know of hip hop/rap was the likes of Lil Wayne, Drake, Black Eyed Peas or whoever flavour of the month rapper out now then you would be forgiven for thinking the entire genre was wack. Same goes with Disco, but since it peaked over 30 years ago a lot of the less commercial stuff has been forgotten about by all but a few 'diggers'. The stuff that stayed around tends to be the more commercial, less interesting and more annoying stuff.

Also, Disco was the precursor to House and by extension Techno. These genre's themselves spawning many sub genres.

Here the title track of an album I just bought. Seems fitting since the movie just came out:

:cool:

discNo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Boogie_Billy

That is PROPA CHOONAGE....Blindin' Track Pal :):):):):):)

iamstop wrote: »
    I disagree. Like anything that gets very popular very quickly there will people only in it to make a quick buck. This is pretty much exactly what happened to Disco. So a lot of what you hear as called Disco is very commercial and give the genre a bad name.
    Think of it like this, is all you'd know of hip hop/rap was the likes of Lil Wayne, Drake, Black Eyed Peas or whoever flavour of the month rapper out now then you would be forgiven for thinking the entire genre was wack. Same goes with Disco, but since it peaked over 30 years ago a lot of the less commercial stuff has been forgotten about by all but a few 'diggers'. The stuff that stayed around tends to be the more commercial, less interesting and more annoying stuff.

Also, Disco was the precursor to House and by extension Techno. These genre's themselves spawning many sub genres.

Here the title track of an album I just bought. Seems fitting since the movie just came out:

:cool:
    thats a shyt song, sounds the same as a lot of disco, weather it be a well known song or not so well known, commercial for want of a better word.
    disco was formulated, nothing wrong with that just not to my liking.

strange discussing disco though, its as far removed from soul/funk as rock or heavy metal.

You don't like it, must be sh1te so.

point out where i stated that my opinion is anything other than my own opinion?

No

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    thats a shyt song, sounds the same as a lot of disco, weather it be a well known song or not so well known, commercial for want of a better word.
    disco was formulated, nothing wrong with that just not to my liking.

strange discussing disco though, its as far removed from soul/funk as rock or heavy metal.

You don't like Disco, I'm fine with that. I'm not here to convince you.

The second bit I do take issue with though.

If you have many soul or funk records, like I do, you will see there is a history of soul and funk acts with disco versions of some of their songs. Many were extended versions of already dance-able tracks with perhaps some additional production like strings or whatever and others were tracks written specifically for the disco sound and feel.
    I really can't say that it is the same for any rock or heavy metal bands that I'm aware of.
    Although Disco is a genre within itself and there are bands and acts that pretty much did Disco exclusively, there are many of the artists associated with soul and funk that have dabbled with Disco sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

You don't like Disco, I'm fine with that. I'm not here to convince you.

The second bit I do take issue with though.

If you have many soul or funk records, like I do, you will see there is a history of soul and funk acts with disco versions of some of their songs. Many were extended versions of already dance-able tracks with perhaps some additional production like strings or whatever and others were tracks written specifically for the disco sound and feel.
    I really can't say that it is the same for any rock or heavy metal bands that I'm aware of.
    Although Disco is a genre within itself and there are bands and acts that pretty much did Disco exclusively, there are many of the artists associated with soul and funk that have dabbled with Disco sound.
    disco came after soul and funk, it was not influenced by either and has no connection to either other than artists from funk and soul dabbling in it.
    as is the case now, artists will dabble in other genres, rappers will dabble in rock, and vice versa.
    what your talking about is artists in the 70s dabbling in a genre that was probably the dominant genre.
    nothing more.

Yes, Disco did come after soul and funk but it most certainly was influenced by both. There are many many connections once you look a little bit into it.
    I'm thinking that your definition and perhaps knowledge of disco is a little narrow.

Here is are some extracts from the wiki article on Disco:
    Musical influences include funk, Latin and soul music.

Disco also was a reaction against both the domination of rock music and the stigmatization of dance music by the counterculture during this period.

I perhaps used the term dabble erroneously in my earlier post as I remember now that I own a full album by Issac Hayes called Disco Connection.
    Here is the album cover:
    Cover

On the rap/rock thing you mentioned. I feel this is very different because the origins of rock and the origins of rap/hip hop are very distinctly separate.

• Advertisement

I feel this is very different because the origins of rock and the origins of rap/hip hop are very distinctly separate.
    As is the case with disco, and funk /soul /r&b.
    Listen I wouldn't claim to have an encyclopedic knowledge of disco but I know enough to be able to say it is a completely separate genre that definitely shouldn't be bracketed with funk /soul /r&b.

"Pop" is influenced by r&b/rap , classical music has been influenced by rap, country and rap have influenced each other at times.

Disco did not originate out of the ashes of funk or soul.

Advertisement