Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with heating, We are in less than 2 years and the heating has failed error code is "ERR K OUTPUT" Called Joule and they could not fix it over phone.

Does Joule charge for a repair when it is under 2 years and has been serviced ?

Thanks in advance

I've had an issue with my heating within 6 months moving in and it was during Christmas time.
    People from Joule investigated the issue and said the fan in the back garden was faulty.
    There wasn't a charge but it took them 2 weeks to get a replacement.

Think we are still covered by the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Hi all,

I've written to Irish waterways, our local TDs and councilors about the illegal use of quads and scrambler bikes along the Royal Canal path. This issue was discussed at the recent AGM & Garda event and I believe it was first highlighted 15 years ago.

The below is the response from Irish Waterways (their email address is published on their website, so I didn't bother hiding it).

478033.jpg

Out of the 4 local TDs I emailed, I've only heard back from Ruth Coppinger and Leo Varadkar (The reply from Leo is just a standard receipt).

Email from Ruth Coppinger's Office (Again, the email address is a public one). The link she provided

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-10-18/27/

I've also forwarded her email to the RCPCA Committee

478034.jpg

None of the 7 local councilors bothered to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

MasterSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've written to Irish waterways, our local TDs and councilors about the illegal use of quads and scrambler bikes along the Royal Canal path. This issue was discussed at the recent AGM & Garda event and I believe it was first highlighted 15 years ago.

The below is the response from Irish Waterways (their email address is published on their website, so I didn't bother hiding it).

478033.jpg

Out of the 4 local TDs I emailed, I've only heard back from Ruth Coppinger and Leo Varadkar (The reply from Leo is just a standard receipt).

Email from Ruth Coppinger's Office (Again, the email address is a public one). The link she provided

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-10-18/27/

I've also forwarded her email to the RCPCA Committee

478034.jpg

None of the 7 local councilors bothered to reply.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to do this, as residents we really appreciate it. In the past 2- 3 weeks, we ourselves have reported scramblers on the canal at least three times to the local gardai. Disappointing though, as most times we do nobody turns up to catch them.

In relation to Waterways Ireland, that same contact above was about as helpful 18 months ago when I requested additional dog waste bins for dog owners along the towpath, and some additional signposts to advise what to feed local wildlife along the canal. (So many seem to throw bread in which is bad for both the birds and the canal itself.) Not entirely sure they do anything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Given that we live in a fairly contested constituency, I've been communicating primarily with potential candidates or those who just missed the cut in the last election. I figured they'd be more willing to listen to potential voters. I got very good responses from Roderic O'Gorman, which is not surprising given that he is heavily invested in the Royal Canal Greenway. However, he has limited political reach, so he wasn't able to do much yet.

I would also like to remind people that last year an amendment to the Road Traffic Bill, which would have given the Garda greater flexibility in prosecuting improper scrambler and quad usage, was defeated in the Dail. The government recommended voting against the amendment. Of our representatives, Leo Varadkar did not vote, Jack Chambers voted against the amendment and the rest supported it.

On a different topic, anyone knows when the apartments on Hamilton Walk go on sale and who will be selling them? A friend of mine is looking for something small and affordable for a single person, and I believe there are some 1 bedroom apartments in that building that might fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Would anyone have good recomendations around curtains for a heron style house? Or just curtains in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi, for those interested we recently got the windows and doors of the house repainted as per the home owners guide (recommended 2 years after installation). Windows and doors are only painted with a "Factory" coat of emulsion for various reasons I do not understand. Our painter used a Flexi oil based water resistant paint. Some of the windows had started to show minor signs of water damage around the edges. The decorator suggested this was most likely due to the original paint work being damaged during installation and touched up. As such it was very timely as it's much better to get these things done before they are a problem.

For reference the Chalk paint code in the home owners guide is a perfect match but the Green/Grey paint code is not a perfect match. It results in a somewhat darker green which I personally prefer. There was some concern about painting the door a different color to the rest of the houses (A no no in our management agreement) but ultimately we painted the colour Ballymore provided us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Manion wrote: »
    Hi, for those interested we recently got the windows and doors of the house repainted as per the home owners guide (recommended 2 years after installation). Windows and doors are only painted with a "Factory" coat of emulsion for various reasons I do not understand. Our painter used a Flexi oil based water resistant paint. Some of the windows had started to show minor signs of water damage around the edges. The decorator suggested this was most likely due to the original paint work being damaged during installation and touched up. As such it was very timely as it's much better to get these things done before they are a problem.

For reference the Chalk paint code in the home owners guide is a perfect match but the Green/Grey paint code is not a perfect match. It results in a somewhat darker green which I personally prefer. There was some concern about painting the door a different color to the rest of the houses (A no no in our management agreement) but ultimately we painted the colour Ballymore provided us.

Interesting. Can you PM me the info about this and the cost? Also can you explain exactly what parts we are talking about getting painted here. Just the front door, inside and out? Doors inside the house? What part of the windows exactly, inside and out? etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Hi,

Could you please PM me paint codes and paint name s. Will have to repaint the doors and windows soon. Thanks

cronos wrote: »
    Interesting. Can you PM me the info about this and the cost? Also can you explain exactly what parts we are talking about getting painted here. Just the front door, inside and out? Doors inside the house? What part of the windows exactly, inside and out? etc...

Hi Cronos, we got all externally exposed wood work painted including the bin area.

Windows and Backdoor:
    Clean down
    Prepare and apply one coat of Flexi Primer/Undercoat where Necessary
    Apply 2 coats of Flexi (Chalk RAL Code 9001)
    Backdoor painted inside and out.

Front door and Panels:
    Clean down
    Prepare and apply one coat of Flexi Primer/Undercoat where Necessary
    Apply 2 coats of Flexi (Green Code 7033)
    Front door painted inside and out.

Bin Lockup:
    Clean down
    Prepare
    Apply 2 coats of Varnish

Price was 950 Plus Vat but I locked this guy in nearly 6 months ago so prices are 2018 prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I have an email from Jason saying all windows were painted with the correct weatherproof paint after installation.

I'm still seeing some weathering around the edges so I'm unsure how thorough they were.

Could I also please ask for details of the people you got to repaint the windows and the costs?

• Advertisement

Perhaps that is true of your property, I can only go by the home owners guide which I've double checked and it clearly indicates 3 coats of water based paint. I doubt my windows received another coat of paint after installation, but maybe. Regardless, I began to see the same minor weathering around the edges you describe and got it sorted.

For price please see my above post. I can send on detail of the painter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cormacn

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I have an email from Jason saying all windows were painted with the correct weatherproof paint after installation.

I'm still seeing some weathering around the edges so I'm unsure how thorough they were.

Could I also please ask for details of the people you got to repaint the windows and the costs?
    Hi Fret_Wimp - would you be able to share Jason's email address with me? I've just recently moved in and I need to flag a few things that remain to get sorted with him.

Really appreciate it,

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

1dav wrote: »
    Hi,

Could you please PM me paint codes and paint name s. Will have to repaint the doors and windows soon. Thanks
    Perhaps that is true of your property, I can only go by the home owners guide which I've double checked and it clearly indicates 3 coats of water based paint. I doubt my windows received another coat of paint after installation, but maybe. Regardless, I began to see the same minor weathering around the edges you describe and got it sorted.

For price please see my above post. I can send on detail of the painter.

Hi Manion,

Could you PM details of the painter please?

Thanks a mil ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Forumsie

Hi folks,

So we're getting Sky Tv installed. The engineer went up to the attic (heron house) to find the wires. We put cheap laminate in the attic when doing the rest of the flooring but I know the carpenter wouldn't have floored over wiring if he had seen it. The engineer said it was also a possibility that the wiring was behind the plasterboard at the back of the attic and the builder forgot to leave an access point.

Does anyone have any idea where it could be? I'm loathe to take up all my flooring or drill into plasterboard.

Meanwhile the sky is getting installed but the main box will have to be in the family room off the kitchen rather than in the sitting room and a mini box in the sitting. The engineer said it was a straightforward job if we found the internal wires and wanted to use them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The coax cable that runs through the house is accessible at the front door. There should be a small access box below the meter box that has coax cable. The engineer should then just be able to connect up there and it will run through the house to the prewired access points. No need to start to rip up floors or walls, that would be madness.

slayerking wrote: »
    The coax cable that runs through the house is accessible at the front door. There should be a small access box below the meter box that has coax cable. The engineer should then just be able to connect up there and it will run through the house to the prewired access points. No need to start to rip up floors or walls, that would be madness.

Thanks Slayerking, that makes more sense. We ended up just installing the main box in the back room as he would have had to throw a cable over the roof and down the front of the house and that seemed a bit extreme too. We'll probably regret it when our future baby pulls down the sky box off the unit and breaks it (there'll be tears all round!) but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Also for anyone else doing this, I bought a powerline adapter to bring the wifi up to the top bedroom. It works great but was a waste of money as the mini box in the bedroom needs to connect to the same wifi as downstairs. Sky provided a booster in one of the bedrooms on the middle floor and that seems to be working. Guess I'll put the powerline adapter onto the scrap heap of items I've bought in error for this house!

I need to get an electrician or handy man around now to tidy up cables and put in a few more sockets. I thought I was finished spending money on this house!! Now I hear I need to paint the windows too!! If I would only wash them that would be a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Forumsie wrote: »

Also for anyone else doing this, I bought a powerline adapter to bring the wifi up to the top bedroom. It works great but was a waste of money as the mini box in the bedroom needs to connect to the same wifi as downstairs. Sky provided a booster in one of the bedrooms on the middle floor and that seems to be working. Guess I'll put the powerline adapter onto the scrap heap of items I've bought in error for this house!

I thought these houses were all CAT5/6 ready? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I wouldn't be using wifi boosters or powerlines. Maybe an AP connected to a port upstairs if there are wifi wireless quality issues - connected to router at central location.

The brother reckons they'll be snagging in the next 2 weeks so I may have a chance to have a geek around soon enough.

theteal wrote: »
    I thought these houses were all CAT5/6 ready? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I wouldn't be using wifi boosters or powerlines. Maybe an AP connected to a port upstairs if there are wifi wireless quality issues - connected to router at central location.

The brother reckons they'll be snagging in the next 2 weeks so I may have a chance to have a geek around soon enough.

If you know what you're at there will be plenty opportunity to geek around. We actually did get a guy in to label and activate all our points (more wasted money!). But then we moved the modem (cablewatch - only option) to the sitting room as the cablewatch guy said putting it in the utility room would shield the signal. And realistically our main use of broadband is wireless (our phones). I'm sure there are better solutions. Please share if you find them

If you know what you're at there will be plenty opportunity to geek around. We actually did get a guy in to label and activate all our points (more wasted money!). But then we moved the modem (cablewatch - only option) to the sitting room as the cablewatch guy said putting it in the utility room would shield the signal. And realistically our main use of broadband is wireless (our phones). I'm sure there are better solutions. Please share if you find them

That's fair enough if your main priority is the immediate wireless signal from the ISP box.

With a longer term view e.g. high bandwidth video streaming to bedrooms I'd be making use of the cabling. So a very basic setup would most likely be the router in the utility room connecting all the ports (may possibly need an additional switch - not sure of the number of ports?) and then a Wireless AP to cover downstairs and possibly another AP if required on upper floors - these will obviously be connected to ports patched to the router/switch in the utility.

Just out of interest, how many network ports are in the living room (Heron)? I'm just trying to preempt any queries that may come my way.

EDIT - by the way, your setup will still be fine, your router can stay where it is but at some stage you may want to get that broadband signal to the utility room to get the rest of the house cabled up. In this case you just need to connect a switch to all required ports in the utility and then connect the router to a network port close by it's current (possibly forever) location - this will establish connection with the switch and in turn all the connected ports will have internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

We have a Router/Modem in the Utility room, its signal didn't reach all the way to the top floor (Heron) but I had another WiFi Router already and connected it via Ethernet and gave them the same network name. It's seamless coverage now.

• Advertisement

We have a Router/Modem in the Utility room, its signal didn't reach all the way to the top floor (Heron) but I had another WiFi Router already and connected it via Ethernet and gave them the same network name. It's seamless coverage now.

Yeah, once you disable some settings on an old router, it'll do the job of a wireless AP very neatly.

theteal wrote: »
    Yeah, once you disable some settings on an old router, it'll do the job of a wireless AP very neatly.

The fact that I had to google what a wireless ap is should tell you all you need to know about my level of skill in this field! I had never heard of a powerline adapter either til the cablewatch guy told me to get one.

Thanks for the tips in your previous post. Yes I expect we will move it into the utility room when/if Eir ever lay cables in the Camden phase. Now I'm starting to think we'll eventually get fibre to the door as Eir don't really lay the old phone lines anymore. Always the optimist!

There is a junction point in the utility room for the Coax Cables. If I recall it's behind a blank panel.

The fact that I had to google what a wireless ap is should tell you all you need to know about my level of skill in this field! I had never heard of a powerline adapter either til the cablewatch guy told me to get one.

Thanks for the tips in your previous post. Yes I expect we will move it into the utility room when/if Eir ever lay cables in the Camden phase. Now I'm starting to think we'll eventually get fibre to the door as Eir don't really lay the old phone lines anymore. Always the optimist!

It's Fibre to the curb. You'll see the units dotted around the area, from there it's VDSL copper into the house. So yep, not an old traditional phone line as you phone line is only maybe 100 meters long.

There is a junction point in the utility room for the Coax Cables. If I recall it's behind a blank panel.

It's Fibre to the curb. You'll see the units dotted around the area, from there it's VDSL copper into the house. So yep, not an old traditional phone line as you phone line is only maybe 100 meters long.

Is that the one that gives 1GB broadband? That would be great but I won't hold my breath. Meanwhile thank goodness for Cablewatch, just thinking about our 2 months on Eir mobile broadband makes me shudder. Had to buy out the contract too, hands down worst company in Ireland

No, just the now standard offering of approximately 100MB. Before FTTC you'd by look at 14Mb I think max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Does anyone known when the last houses on Pelletstown Avenue are due to be snagging? Looking forward to that road being fully open for quicker access to Centra/gym etc

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Does anyone known when the last houses on Pelletstown Avenue are due to be snagging? Looking forward to that road being fully open for quicker access to Centra/gym etc

The brother is waiting for a phone call. They've been told several different time frames. The last he said to me was he was "expecting to snag before the end of the month" - not exactly concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

Hi.
    Has anyone put varnish on their side door?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Does anyone have a recommendation for a garden landscaper please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Conchur1975

Hi.
    Has anyone put varnish on their side door?

I used Ronseal 10 year wood stain. Need to strip and sand first though.

Advertisement