Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIRO: 15 towns for 2016

• 22-02-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

SIRO Corporate Affairs Director, Stephen O'Connor, at the FTTH council.

http://www.telecomstalk.com/?p=5299 (video)

Building in 6 towns currently.
    extra 4-5 towns to get service in the next two months.
    15 (in total) by end 2016.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

He lie abit about regional towns getting 10mb those 50 towns have Efibre think he confused it rural ireland that have 10mb or less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I didnt believe anything in that video, Siro have barely rolled their service out except to parts of Dundalk and some town in Cork, he mentioned 15 towns in 2016, we still don't know where they are going, he mentioned about reversing the digital divide, they are only rolling out to large urban areas with more than 4,000 homes that already have a wealth of FTTC and Virgin Media services so I dont see how this is reversing the digital divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No update on their website for Yonks. Total vacuum from them. A lot of prospective customers must be of the " I'll believe it when I see it" opinion.

No update on their website for Yonks. Total vacuum from them. A lot of prospective customers must be of the " I'll believe it when I see it" opinion.
    open Eir the same they won't give you any info or notting they say the map being update every month yet were I live the map still fuzz up no townlands just numbers thanks eir that helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    open Eir the same they won't give you any info or notting they say the map being update every month yet were I live the map still fuzz up no townlands just numbers thanks eir that helps.

The fuzz on the map isnt' Eirs fault really, its whatever service they use to display the maps. They could go into more detail about the townlands but they are million times more open about what they are doing and where they are going than Siro are.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    The fuzz on the map isnt' Eirs fault really, its whatever service they use to display the maps. They could go into more detail about the townlands but they are million times more open about what they are doing and where they are going than Siro are.
    open eir did say they were gona fix it but didn't bother.It there responsible to fix it so yea it is there fault,siro only a new company give them time once they get going they give eir a run for there money and if they win a NBP lot.There going after eir areas first should be fun to watch or who ever bidder(s) win it.

Ive just visited their website and they have 51 other towns listed but they are all the largest towns within Ireland where there is already plenty of choice so its gonna be a long time before they even start working on rural areas.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ive just visited their website and they have 51 other towns listed but they are all the largest towns within Ireland where there is already plenty of choice so its gonna be a long time before they even start working on rural areas.
    Eir has 66 towns I be surprise if they even finish the 100,000 rural homes by March 2017.I don't know if siro will win any of NBP but there front runners so there chances are high with eir also being one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

i saw a SIRO van in Ennis the other day... does this mean we're getting it ? I've given up on Eircom gigabit coming to my street :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

sibergoth wrote: »
    i saw a SIRO van in Ennis the other day... does this mean we're getting it ? I've given up on Eircom gigabit coming to my street :(

Ennis isn't on Siro's list of the first ten towns.

Their schedule of completing 50 towns by end 2018 looks unlikely at the current pace.

• Advertisement

balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I was under the impression that most of the estates in Carrigaline would have siro but it was only the big estates that got it.

And from what I heard the uptake is very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Dane Sharp Newcomer

mikeym wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most of the estates in Carrigaline would have siro but it was only the big estates that got it.

I'm not denying what you say but I'm wondering how you know what the uptake is. Would many of the estates enabled by Siro have already had VDSL services?

mikeym wrote: »

of course the uptake is poor, Siro are operating in areas that are already filled with cabinets and decent internet. Why pay extra when you already have decent 100meg fiber and relatively low cost service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Deagol

balls.

Ennis is started, have seen KN networks and ESB working out around the town. Presumably they are doing some initial surveying etc first.

Siro have said Ennis build will be up and running before the end of 2016.

I would guess we'll start to see actual installs early 2017.

got an ESB note today for a scheduled power outage all day tomorrow... (bit short notice like!)
    anyway the note says -

in order to facilitate the rollout of the fibre network.

looks like i'll get the old SIRO soon enough so!
    can't wait

got an ESB note today for a scheduled power outage all day tomorrow... (bit short notice like!)
    anyway the note says -

in order to facilitate the rollout of the fibre network.

looks like i'll get the old SIRO soon enough so!
    can't wait

Haha, I'd be only delighted to be told my power is going off.... how strange is that :)

they cancelled at the last minute... so i guess the work wasn't done for whatever reason...

they cancelled at the last minute... so i guess the work wasn't done for whatever reason...

...was this in a new town or a scheduled town?

Ennis, a scheduled town.

• Advertisement

Virgin Media sent a letter to 'the occupant' here saying they are laying Fibre on my street soon and will be digging up the road for a few days to bring 'fibre power network'

is this the same ESB fibre for SIRO ? Virgin just piggy backing off that ?? surely they aren't laying their own fibre as well as SIRO ?

Virgin Media sent a letter to 'the occupant' here saying they are laying Fibre on my street soon and will be digging up the road for a few days to bring 'fibre power network'

is this the same ESB fibre for SIRO ? Virgin just piggy backing off that ?? surely they aren't laying their own fibre as well as SIRO ?

Could be. Recent EU directive (S.I. No. 391 of 2016) requires co-operation, mutual access and co-ordination in civil works for broadband infrastructure, e.g. trenching, poles, or wholesale products etc. As usual the directive wasn't transposed properly by DCCAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Alan30

Siro installed the Fiber in my estate in Dundalk about 15 months ago and are still not offering any service. I emailed them earlier this week and this was their reply. The estate located next to mine has been serviced for the past 4/5 month. Very annoying as Eir can only offer me 3MB.

To date, and as you know, it has not been possible to install SIRO in certain homes in your area. Having looked into this matter further however, we now know it relates to a larger infrastructural issue. We are continuing to look into this matter but we have no visibility around when a solution, if any, may be found. We appreciate this is extremely frustrating. If and when we have an update on {Estate name} , we will let you know immediately. In the meantime, we apologise that a more definite answer cannot be provided.

Alan30 wrote: »
    Siro installed the Fiber in my estate in Dundalk about 15 months ago and are still not offering any service. I emailed them earlier this week and this was their reply. The estate located next to mine has been serviced for the past 4/5 month. Very annoying as Eir can only offer me 3MB.

To date, and as you know, it has not been possible to install SIRO in certain homes in your area. Having looked into this matter further however, we now know it relates to a larger infrastructural issue. We are continuing to look into this matter but we have no visibility around when a solution, if any, may be found. We appreciate this is extremely frustrating. If and when we have an update on {Estate name} , we will let you know immediately. In the meantime, we apologise that a more definite answer cannot be provided.

Question asked.
    https://twitter.com/irelandoffline/status/837617058217086977

Suggest you also try Vodafone forum and customer support.

what a balls.. :(

I had to move to the outskirts of Ennis last week, i went from 86Mbps down to about 35Mbps and only 7 up... :(

I'd love to know if SIRO will come to my street now... any way to find out ? This whole large area is pretty poorly served with only two cabinets a way out.. there's a big gap here and lots of big houses that would surely appreciate SIRO speed...

I had to move to the outskirts of Ennis last week, i went from 86Mbps down to about 35Mbps and only 7 up... :(

I'd love to know if SIRO will come to my street now... any way to find out ? This whole large area is pretty poorly served with only two cabinets a way out.. there's a big gap here and lots of big houses that would surely appreciate SIRO speed...

My personal theory is that anywhere you click on the Siro map and it gives a list of addresses to choose from is where Siro is going. If it just gives the generic 'Siro has started install' message then i don't think it will be installed.

feck.

i asked Siro directly if they had plans to come to my street... they took about 3 weeks to reply, but they finally said:

I'm afraid that your area has presented some technical difficulties which we are currently attempting to find a solution for. I cannot give any guarantees as to when this might be resolved, I will keep your request on file and update you to any developments.

so.. i guess thats something. not great news, but i think i can assume that they are actually planning on rolling out here - but perhaps it will take a while to get sorted.

I would hope that if it was just a NO NEVER they would have said so ???

• Advertisement

turns out SIRO is being installed NOW on my street ! confirmed with the engineer who just checked my meter box.

my question is to anyone who has SIRO..

my meter box is on the complete opposite side of the house where i'd like the cable to come in!
    How flexible are they on routing cable in and around the house ? does it just come in to the nearest power point and that's it, or would they run cable around like Sky TV would ?

thanks for any info :)

cheers
    Adam

Advertisement