Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

At Last Something Different!

• 17-01-2010 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I would just like to extend congratulations to all involved in the production of The Covies. So far I've found it a breath of fresh air.

The Covies has shunned all the tired and jaded storylines which recurr so frequently in drama.

Production quality has been called into question in other threads, however with the tight time constraints and miniscule budget (not to mention a cast and crew who also had dayjobs) its amazing they ever achieved to pull it all together in the first place. Its a huge achievement!

I dont have expereince in production, however I do watch a lot of films and tv.... With these credentials in hand I can state that what matters at the end of it all is that it is enjoyable for the viewer, keeps them guessing and coming back for more; which The Covies does!

Well done to all. Looking forward to seeing the next episodes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stookan

I would just like to extend congratulations to all involved in the production of The Covies. So far I've found it a breath of fresh air.

The Covies has shunned all the tired and jaded storylines which recurr so frequently in drama.

Production quality has been called into question in other threads, however with the tight time constraints and miniscule budget (not to mention a cast and crew who also had dayjobs) its amazing they ever achieved to pull it all together in the first place. Its a huge achievement!

I dont have expereince in production, however I do watch a lot of films and tv.... With these credentials in hand I can state that what matters at the end of it all is that it is enjoyable for the viewer, keeps them guessing and coming back for more; which The Covies does!

Well done to all. Looking forward to seeing the next episodes.

I am very glad to hear you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Im loving the Video Diaries. Watched 5 of them in a row the other day.

The best bit is when they are talking with the financial guy and he mentions someone wants to see the script, watch Len squirm trying to get the message across that he doesnt want any interferance!.

We get to see the nice Len with the son on the beach. And the Psychotic Len wanting to ring yer mans neck because he wanted couple more seconds filming by the road but the cameraman wanted to wrap it up(something about a 5pm deadline?).

When DeVore makes his entrance he goes for the hug when the girl went for the handshake lol!, reminded me of 'The Office'!.

I just love watching real life background stuff and theres plenty of good material here. Actually these diaries really give an idea of just how much team work an co-operation went into making this series and its so impressive really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Im loving the Video Diaries. Watched 5 of them in a row the other day.

The best bit is when they are talking with the financial guy and he mentions someone wants to see the script, watch Len squirm trying to get the message across that he doesnt want any interferance!.

We get to see the nice Len with the son on the beach. And the Psychotic Len wanting to ring yer mans neck because he wanted couple more seconds filming by the road but the cameraman wanted to wrap it up(something about a 5pm deadline?).

Thanks Aidan

:)

I know where you live [well some of the time]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It was more fun then should strictly be legal imho. :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

When DeVore makes his entrance he goes for the hug when the girl went for the handshake lol!, reminded me of 'The Office'!.

LOL! You can also see him checking out her ass as she looks into the camera, and then again when she walks past! And not even subtly either - he sort of cranes his neck around as though she had just gone through a door to the right of camera.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh no.... I didnt did I? I'm sure I was just practising for the later scenes.... *cough*

you know, method acting....:o

DeV.
    (just looking up the scene now...)

Oh come on , that wasnt an oggle :):)

DeV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

DeVore wrote: »
    Oh come on , that wasnt an oggle :):)

DeV.

Hey, I would have done the same and been less subtle about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Len its a bit late of me to suggest but not too late to do. I think it would be great if you gave a written directors view on each episode as theyre released 'movie drome' style!. Maybe detail your thoughts on some scenes, actors, locations, script you liked, werent sure about and some inside background information on the episode etc. List something to watch out for in an episode. Some things must have taken you by surprise like an actor suddenly coming up with a phrase of their own shooting a scene that you let in(I get the feeling that garda's lines was some of his own doing!, he's quality that guy is, law onto himself id say!).It would be interesting and also help as an opener for viewers comments?.

Good idea Aidan.

Though in all honesty the lines were all scripted - In Paddy's case - I auditioned him and then re-wrote the character to suit his personality. We had settled on the idea of doing Presley song titles and there were only two scenes were we came up with them on the day - which are in episode one and six respectively. Paddy was great to work with and his delivery often had us all in stitches.

Other memorable moments were Linda and Tom's scenes in the office. Tom telling Linda that he's a black belt in origami and she could hit him as hard as she liked - so she did. We all pissed ourselves laughing at the end of the take.

Then on the serious side the night we filmed the sexual assault was very special. Very intense.

I'll do some thinking about this when I've got time.

• Advertisement

The look on Linda face when she sent me flying was priceless too....

I just watched all the episodes again and poor old Jim, he really didnt have a great time did he .... lol.

Working with Paddy was an absolute howl, the scene where he arrests me for sexual assault had to be shot a few times because we couldnt keep straight faces. Linda and Terese were consummate professionals and Paddy and I couldnt stop giggling and cracking wise :)

Chops was the star of the backstage though... I still laugh thinking about Rob carrying him about and the state of the van afterwards, not to mention the farm dog savaging it lol... poor aul Chops... gone to the great big buttie in the sky...

DeV.

Thank You.

With the Business to Arts Award and the subsequent publicity surrounding that we have our fingers crossed.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 SirPeter

Much as I enjoyed the episodes, is it too delicate to ask if the commercial viability of the project has been assessed?

Advertisement