Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭gipi

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Probably had the EUR20 rate like me and they wouldn't switch to EUR15 one as it was for new customers only.

Correct, he was on the 20 euro rate from Postmobile. Couldn't switch to the 15 euro deal without leaving and re-registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭gipi

Aquos76 wrote: »
    He'd had been better to port to gomo or 48 as technically if Post mobile goes down then Clear mobile will also go down id imagine.

Edit: having read your post back, Im making an assumption here that his main sim is a vodafone one, if its not, then disregard :)

He is with 48 on one SIM and was with Postmobile (now with Clear mobile) on the other. Service in his area can be patchy on 48, so he has the comfort of having an alternative number on the Vodafone network - without paying Vodafone prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I think this is going to be a trade off. I am currently setting up a router in Dublin 24 where copper BB is .2meg. There is a VF base station outside the window. Sim for clearmobile turned up this morning, so going to install this and see how it works. Slower, unlimited and reliable may be better than faster but limited.

It is for a pensioner with a basic smart phone and a laptop she cannot use as no workable BB. I am going to install a small ip camera. While 5 meg DL is not a lot, I will test it with a firestick and see what happens. If it doesnt stand up to the usage, which will be very low, I will get the postmobile version. 50 gig will not be a lot if we adopt the firestick.

Will report back in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

That's a good shout Bikerman, Netflix should work with 5 however it gets glossed over quite a bit but the cap is at 5, not a guarentee of 5. Where you are, you would imagine you'd be hitting that cap but around the country, VF signal is not as good as everyone thinks it is. I've been in plenty of towns and counties where it's almost non existant and the likes of 48 or GoMo have thrived.

Three have been most conisistant signal wise for myself so far but the more expensive of the lot also so that's my current trade off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Does anyone know where you can see the contract dates on the website? As there is no bill issued yet and it is still 2 weeks from switchover date. I can't see anywhere that mentions the switchover date/time in the emails or on the website to confirm when it will actually happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Stiro05

Switched from 48 to clear yesterday. I had no issues with 48 from signal point of view but data connection was shocking. I commute Longford to mayo everyday and use WhatsApp etc to make calls abroad and is useless with 48/three constantly dropping data even though showing connection. Tried it last night with clear and didn't miss a beat , so for me even though speed is capped at 5mbps but consistent, that's better than having faster in some spots but dropping data connection

FluffPiece wrote: »
    That's a good shout Bikerman, Netflix should work with 5 however it gets glossed over quite a bit but the cap is at 5, not a guarentee of 5. Where you are, you would imagine you'd be hitting that cap but around the country, VF signal is not as good as everyone thinks it is. I've been in plenty of towns and counties where it's almost non existant and the likes of 48 or GoMo have thrived.

Three have been most conisistant signal wise for myself so far but the more expensive of the lot also so that's my current trade off.

So I just installed it in a lte router. Speed testing at 5meg and big improvement in what she had. I hooked up the firestick and it ran fine. Firestick speed test reported 5.6 Meg DL.

Knowing it is unlimted, even though it is capped at 5 meg download, probably makes it most suitable. Install and forget about it. However, if it was for my own house and needed speed, multitasking and the rest, I would probably throw it out the window.

Personally, I use a gomo sim and a 48 sim in a dual sim phone for general mobile use. Gomo is superior. 48 keeps loosing data in pockets all around D24

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Stiro05 wrote: »
    Switched from 48 to clear yesterday. I had no issues with 48 from signal point of view but data connection was shocking. I commute Longford to mayo everyday and use WhatsApp etc to make calls abroad and is useless with 48/three constantly dropping data even though showing connection. Tried it last night with clear and didn't miss a beat , so for me even though speed is capped at 5mbps but consistent, that's better than having faster in some spots but dropping data connection

I was the same with GoMo, constantly dropping on the commute and erratic data speeds (if at all). I moved to Post Mobile few months back and like you, the consistency is outstanding, i never have dropped calls or E data.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

TheDriver wrote: »
    Christ, that's crap. As tweet says, post mobile is far better for 2 quid more giving the same specs as Vodafone
    Why are they bothering? Unless the 5 isn't held however they are well able to keep people on 10Mb
    Postmobile have a 50GB cap and they shut off mobile broadband altogther if you reach it, unless you pay 15eur earlier, than your 30 days. I ran out of the 50GB in a bit over 2 weeks.

If clearmobile gave me 10Mbps i would have switched. Ill ask postmobile to raise my allowance, but if they say no - i might still switch.

Other networks are usually 0.5-3Mbps here, so not a real option (Dublin 8 near guiness storehouse. ), but i keep the 48 going just as a spare (im using it now as anpost 50gb ran out)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Had not received my sim in the post by the time I was supposed to be switching over (an An Post delivery issue, not Clear Mobile), and gotta say, the online chat function was very helpful. Was seen to straight away and they knew what they were doing.

Meanwhile, I emailed GoMo last week about switching over and I still haven't gotten a response...

• Advertisement

Tig98 wrote: »
    Had not received my sim in the post by the time I was supposed to be switching over (an An Post delivery issue, not Clear Mobile), and gotta say, the online chat function was very helpful. Was seen to straight away and they knew what they were doing.

Meanwhile, I emailed GoMo last week about switching over and I still haven't gotten a response...
    If you are porting to clearmobile, just port, I dont think you need to notify gomo. They are a rolling 30 day contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Was with Clear for all of an hour.

During the porting time my old sim deactivated, and I popped in the new sim. They never ported my number though, so I got onto support and they apologized for the glitch. They suggested to cancel my clear account, and create a new account following the same steps and my number would be ported successfully. Fairly pointless, if it failed once why wouldn't it happen again.

The search continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BlueSkys102

Recently joined clear mobile, I couldn't get data connection after moving my number over, go onto chat support quite quickly. They sent me the app settings to update on my phone and worked like a charm! Just incase anyone else has the same problem
    Android users: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names> Add and enter the following details in the fields:

Name: Clear Mobile Internet
    APN: isp.clearmobile.ie
    Authentication type: PAP or CHAP
    APN Type: default
    Click Save
    Ensure you select this APN from the menu

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What kind of speeds are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

5 Mbit down and 4-5 Mbit up.

When running speedtest, it starts around 15 down but throttles back to 5 after a few seconds ! But it's consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BlueSkys102

Getting 5mbps download and less than 1 mbps upload. Tbh I don't really notice the difference

Here is the speedtest in a mobile and a router in Dublin 24. Super reliable so far, and much better than the alternative of .2meg landline BB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Recently joined clear mobile, I couldn't get data connection after moving my number over, go onto chat support quite quickly. They sent me the app settings to update on my phone and worked like a charm! Just incase anyone else has the same problem
    Android users: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names> Add and enter the following details in the fields:

Name: Clear Mobile Internet
    APN: isp.clearmobile.ie
    Authentication type: PAP or CHAP
    APN Type: default
    Click Save
    Ensure you select this APN from the menu

Thanks for this, ported at the weekend and just checked my mobile data as heading out for the first time today.

Just ran a speed test, 5.1 download and 5.68 upload, Dublin 15.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Usisu

Whitch experiences did you made with it? Is the speed really capped at 5mbits?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Hotspot functionality hasn’t worked on iPhones for the last few days.

I was on their chat and they said that they were working on a fix with Apple but couldn’t say when it would be back but they will let me know.

They did say they were here for me and to trust them!

• Advertisement

Usisu wrote: »
    Whitch experiences did you made with it? Is the speed really capped at 5mbits?

I think a read of the few posts above from people who have it is "clear" enough of an answer.

I think a read of the few posts above from people who have it is "clear" enough of an answer.

I want to know if it is good or not for streaming films and Videos

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It’s 5meg, what more do you want to know?

You'd have to try it yourself to see if it will do that in Germany.

Thanks but for Germany I will have Vodafone x

Thanks but for Germany I will have Vodafone x

I'm totally lost, why are you asking about clear when you've no intention of leaving Vodafone? Surely you're not asking questions for the sake of it?
    There was someone here few weeks ago who did the same, asking endless pointless questions about mobile networks.

I was thinking to change but not if it really is only 5mbits

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm totally lost, why are you asking about clear when you've no intention of leaving Vodafone? Surely you're not asking questions for the sake of it?
    There was someone here few weeks ago who did the same, asking endless pointless questions about mobile networks.

100% a rereg. Using abusing the EU roaming rules.

Could someone post some pictures or make a Video how streaming with 5mbits should be passable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tbh I doubt it at 5 you'll have a lot of stuttering, pausing etc, at 10 it's fine ref Netflix but doubt 5 will suffice

Advertisement