Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My God, it's full of stars!

• 18-03-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Week 12

Day|Session|Comments|Link
    Monday|Easy run 7km 0:35:00|Ran into work, changed the straps on the bag around so it sat lower and was more comfortable. 7.5km 0:34:00|https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/721050446
    Tuesday|Parade|Went to parade, kids loved it.|
    Wednesday|Easy run 10km 0:50:00||
    |Easy turbo, just spin 18km 0:45:00||
    Thursday|Longer run 18km 1:30:00||
    Friday|Easy run - include 5x(20sec fast, 40sec easy)||
    Saturday|Easy spin 50km 2:00:00||
    |Easy run 6km 0:30:00||
    Sunday|Longer run 21km 1:45:00||

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What is the goal this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    What is the goal this year?

* A return to regular, consistent training
    * An open half marathon PB
    * A marathon PB

May be a log more suited to the Plodding board for this year to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What does your log title mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good luck with the log, they are handy to keep yourself honest.
    tunney wrote: »

May be a log more suited to the Plodding board for this year to be honest.

Overtraining?

Dory Dory wrote: »

Oh god a six word question that would take about two pages to explain. After the next dance I'll explain:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It is an odyssey...

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is an odyssey...

Arthur C Clarke wrote alot of books. I read them all. Ones that I always loved were "Space odyssey" series. I read them all at least ten times. In "2001: A space odyssey" a character called Dave was on a mission in space, everything went to sh1t after a while and he had a bleak existence for a bit, then he arrived at the ultimate destination, a destination he hadn't expected when they set out. On arrival there he "passes through" the monolith (similar to the one that shaped and aided the development of mankind) and pronounces "My God, it's full of stars!" before contact is lost. He then goes on a voyage of discovery meeting all manner of alien races and places before ultimately transforming into an incorporeal being and effectively transcending.

Read into that what you will Carol.

ALL THESE WORLDS
    ARE YOURS EXCEPT
    EUROPA
    ATTEMPT NO
    LANDING THERE.

Come to think of it, I believe you mentioned seeing stars while we were dancing. ;)

Nice log title. I like it! :)

Week 12

Monday|Easy run 7km 0:35:00|Ran into work, changed the straps on the bag around so it sat lower and was more comfortable. 7.5km 0:34:00 152bpm 4:44km/min|https://www.strava.com/activities/269018681
    Wednesday|Easy run 10km 0:50:00|Nice weather for it, bumped into a clubmate so ran with her for a while. Legs still feeling the effects of the 5km on Friday night. 10.4km 0:50:00 151bpm 4:50km/min|https://www.strava.com/activities/270143885
    Thursday|Longer run 18km 1:30:00||
    Friday|Easy run - include 5x(20sec fast, 40sec easy)||
    Saturday|Easy spin 50km 2:00:00||
    |Easy run 6km 0:30:00||
    Sunday|Longer run 21km 1:45:00||
    [/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no-swimming-symbol-sign-k-5333.gif

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    no-swimming-symbol-sign-k-5333.gif

Yes, pool membership lapsing end of the month. Will let it slide a bit as not using it a whole lot. Work is nuts, Ciarán still young, so if I hit two disciplines consistently for a while I will be happy.

Work is nuts, Ciarán still young, so if I hit two disciplines consistently for a while I will be happy.

makes sense. the pool is always the logistical challenge. bike/run can always be done from the house.

reminds me to start looking at running buggies.

Popped something in my back yesterday, sleep eluded me and pain found me.

I am useless in work in this pain. Thankfully in with TMWTT at 1530

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Feck! New log barely a page old and sidelined with injury. Some guys have all the luck :(

Went to Dave. Diagnosis my back is fvcked but not compeletely fvcked. A day and night of agony and still not right.
    For the non complaining Americans. My Quadratus lumborums (QLs) went into spasm as a result, mainly, of hauling Eoin around town for St Patricks Day. Recent stress levels suggested as well as possibly contributing.(albeit not by Dave)

Coming back from shops at lunch a woman snotted herself quite badly in front of me. After letting her recovery I helped her back onto her feet. I had to take most of the load lifting her. Fecking stupid with my back, but then again couldn't really just point, say "HAHA" and walk on.

Still alive, ran yesterday. Saw a woman with one leg running around the park. Perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Was that you on the strand today, blue gilet?

EC1000 wrote: »
    Was that you on the strand today, blue gilet?

Yes. mer Tango at Sean Moore park turn down to the tracks and back then we went out separate ways.

A lot out there today. What were you wearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Long sleeve blue T shirt with AKW logo from kinvara last year and Midland TC beanie. You're not as fat as you claim to be...

You're not as fat as you claim to be...

That's what she said!! :D

Long sleeve blue T shirt with AKW logo from kinvara last year and Midland TC beanie. You're not as fat as you claim to be...

I try to wear slimming colours.

That's what she said!! :D

Said like a real Dub!! :D

Next you'll be cracking "ur ma.." jokes :)

A little all over the place for a number of reasons, but I had way more excuses.

Some running and my first cycle in about 9 months. Fecking near killed me. Up over Glan and back in Cavan. Bike felt awkward. saddle higher than commuter, reminded me to fix commuter, and bars wider. Centre of gravity different too. But mainly its serviced to perfection and everyone works as well as it can. Including the brakes. No friction in the cables, wheels true and brake blocks tight. Grabbing the brakes like the commuter (fixie or Glenda's) will result in immediate and violent halting.

As I was breathing out my ass, being made brutally aware of weight and fitness (a PM and a hill don't lie) I realised why I love cycle. Not just the sensations but the views and the serenity of the country side.

The father in law now cycles as well and the kids now equate "cobbles", "grand tour" and "ardennes" with "ah no Daddy cartoons". I like cycling.

Ran too. Quads no likely.
    First long run since.... well probably 2013 (cannot could DCM or IMde). And long isn't long at all 1:30 of trails and some hills. Fecking broke me.

Great week.

Total time : 7:23
    Bike time: 2:05
    Bike dist: 55km
    Run time: 5:18
    Run dist: 64km

Some running and my first cycle in about 9 months. Fecking near killed me.

As I was breathing out my ass, being made brutally aware of weight and fitness (a PM and a hill don't lie) I realised why I love cycle. Not just the sensations but the views and the serenity of the country side.

Great week.

as this log seems to benefit from quotes

Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step

Fecking near killed me.

It didn't though.. and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!! :D

Welcome back, have fun with it for a while.

Actually training the last week. Strange. My commute is taking longer - a sure sign I am doing something as just haven't the legs (calories or inclination) to push it.

12km run Monday
    10km with pieces yesterday
    0530 BG Turbo this morning (first am one in about four years, and first since December)
    10km progression run at lunch. Loving the weather

Diet clean too.

Got new shorts, brief was "comfy and pockets" got them. They are perfect but I got the pi$$ ripped out of me by Glenda "lycra under shorts are you so lacking in confidence that you feel the need to cover the lycra up". Stung all the more as this is my usual line when I see people wearing GAA shorts over Skins. The lycra liner is sown into shorts. Have decided to buy her leggings with a jumper tied around the waist built in.

Coaches training session last night in the GAA club. More how to communicate effectively with kids than anything else. Very useful, not just for coaching but also for just communicating with kids.

One thing I found particularly interesting:

Him: "Most kids cannot run"

Everyone expecting a rant about video games and overeating. Then he launched into a demonstration of what most people (kids included) do and then what they should be doing. Then he pulled out his binder of skills and drills for how to teach kids to run. I have to admit I was amazed. Not just that he recognised the importance of form but also that his definition of good form matched what I had been told almost exactly. From the movement of the legs and the arms to the posture and even issues with hip flexors - why they occurred and how to address them in kids.

It was pretty amazing - then on lunch run today observing the form of the runners around me. Less than 10% had good form, the other 90% you could pick out the injuries that they either got alot or would get. Being honest I think most of AR and TDAR could do with learning the skills and drills that 4 year old kids learn.

• Advertisement

Anyways - my own training. I've moved from plodding about to relearning to suffer. I find the duality of suffering interesting. I hate it but yet love it. I dread it but yet look forward to it.

Two things for sure - the only way to get better at suffering is to suffer. Also that suffering hurts (but feels good).

Advertisement