Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

• 09-03-2020 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Just read that the St Patricks day parade is cancelled in Letterkenny.

Im wondering will any other events be cancelled

Have tickets for highland radio 30th birthday bash on 18th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

lulu1 wrote: »
    Just read that the St Patricks day parade is cancelled in Letterkenny.

The Corona virus is about control. Government tell us what to do etc. The virus could have been stopped by the government by closing our borders but they knew all this and still let everyone come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don2012 wrote: »
    The Corona virus is about control. Government tell us what to do etc. The virus could have been stopped by the government by closing our borders but they knew all this and still let everyone come and go.

We have an open border with another country how can we close it and who would we restrict as they are Irish citizens who are infected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Del2005 wrote: »
    We have an open border with another country how can we close it and who would we restrict as they are Irish citizens who are infected?

Open borders with what country? The Government have not revealed the nationality of those infected. If Ireland had controlled borders this wouldn't have escalated so quickly. Just look at the precautions other countries have taken at their airports, examining people when they got off planes etc but in Dublin airport the HSE were just handing out leaflets to passengers about the virus and sending them on their way without even checking like other countries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don2012 wrote: »
    Open borders with what country? The Government have not revealed the nationality of those infected. If Ireland had controlled borders this wouldn't have escalated so quickly. Just look at the precautions other countries have taken at their airports, examining people when they got off planes etc but in Dublin airport the HSE were just handing out leaflets to passengers about the virus and sending them on their way without even checking like other countries.

The examinations were basically theatre, missed people with it and sent lots of people without it in to clog up hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

lulu1 wrote: »

This concert is now postponed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,804 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The latest discussion thread on the more general issues surrounding the Coronavirus is here and thats where general discussion should take place.

Its great to have a thread running here so we can post on the local issues and how people in Donegal are affected. Details of whats closed, whats postponed, visitor restrictions to hospitals and nursing homes, availability of hand sanitiser etc etc can all be posted here.

Not sure about other places but St. Josephs hospital in Stranorlar have stopped all visiting since last Saturday.

Was looking for sanitizer in a couple of shops in the twin towns area and none of them have it in stock.

Millbrae Surgery in Stranorlar wont see patients with respiratory problems but are sending them on to a clinic in Convoy where they will be suitably masked, robed etc and tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

echo beach wrote: »
    This concert is now postponed.

Yip Dissapointed but better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was in Dunnes this evening at 7:30 as I usually am on Monday, Wednesday and/or Friday after the class I do. Can't remember the last time I saw it so busy at that time. Was talking to one of the ones working there and she said it wasn't even that busy at Christmas.
    They had some toilet paper, but it was some recycled type I've never seen before.

muffler, seems that thread link you posted seems to be for a restricted forum.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    muffler, seems that thread link you posted seems to be for a restricted forum.
    Oops, sorry. That is indeed a restricted area. I've edited my post to include the correct link.

Wow, that thread (and topic) is fast moving. Thats the sixth thread on the tipic as they have to be closed at around ten thousand posts. The latest thread was started just after midday and there's over 2,200 posts already. Frightening :eek:

• Advertisement

Now I'm thinking that restricted thread is where you mods discuss the truth behind the virus as the Illuminati of boards

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking that restricted thread is where you mods discuss the truth behind the virus as the Illuminati of boards
    lol, nah nothing as dodgy as that. :)

There's a dedicated spot in the mods forum where all reported posts go and every mod can see those reports regardless of what forum they were reported from. Given the nature of the topic its a fast moving and popular thread (the one I linked to) and there are literally dozens and dozens of reported posts so it was easier for me to find the thread I wished to link to from looking at the reported posts rather than trawling through other forums for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

This panic buying is getting serious in some towns
    Was out shopping this morning plenty of everything as far as I could see

Just tried my luck and asked in every shop for hand sanatiser be no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Firblog

Still no confirmed cases in Donegal, being remote may have its advantages :)(touch wood);)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,925 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hand sanitizer seems to be the one thing you can't get.

You'll find everything else.

But if its for the house, ordinary soap does the same job and works just as well.

I was looking for some sanitizer for my elderly mothers house so visitors could clean their hands without need for water should they visit. Tried about 8 chemists, none around. 4 of the chemists even had a sign on the door to stop you wasting your time coming in asking for it.

A couple of hours ago I was told about a local woman who has the virus (allegedly) and is in self isolation. She only came back from Lanzarote in the last few days apparently. I'm hoping it's gossip but she was named by a friend so it's most likely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Big talk of two cases in inishowen. Not confirmed 100% but alot of different sources have the same story.
    I hope it's not true but only a matter of time.

3 confirmed cases in the North west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Firblog

Nancy's in ardara and allingham arm in ballyshannon closing for the foreseeable future I believe due to virus

Saw McGuigan's in Stranorlar and Bonner's in Ballybofey are closing due to the virus.

• Advertisement

Farrens bar in malin Head just closed until further notice.

Two or three bars also closed in carndonagh.
    Nice to see some taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

the bank bar in donegal town closing at 6 this evening, quay west restaurant closed yesterday i think....scary times

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Teach Coll in Magheraroarty, and Batch in Falcarragh both closed.

I think it's safe to say everywhere bar some shops will be closed soon, even if it's not ordered (which I expect any minute now, tbh)......

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Callaghan's Bar, Churchill (except off-licence); Nora's Bar, Kilmacrennan; The Orchard, Letterkenny; Codfather and Chips, Killylastin, Letterkenny; all closed.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread updated. Hopefully it will be a short thread but please keep the notifications coming.

A bit of third hand info but it was relayed to me from good, trustworthy sources....it seems like there's going to be some big announcement tomorrow that will result in a lot of establishments having to close. That came from a Garda source (not in this county) and Im hoping its wrong but from reading the posts above it would seem credible.

Seaview tavern closed from 8 this evening until further notice. That's all eating and drinking establishments closed in malin Head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,925 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

muffler wrote: »
    A bit of third hand info but it was relayed to me from good, trustworthy sources....it seems like there's going to be some big announcement tomorrow that will result in a lot of establishments having to close. That came from a Garda source (not in this county) and Im hoping its wrong but from reading the posts above it would seem credible.

I think its safe to say that they want to shut things down BEFORE St Patricks, to limit the crowds.

My guess is it'll be the same as the school shutdown. Everything at 6pm.

So when the shops, businesses etc close tomorrow, the only things allowed to re-open will be essential stuff like supermarkets, food shops, chemists.

A massive decision but one that has to be taken.

• Advertisement

McElhinneys store in Ballybofey is now also closed. That alone will automatically shut down a couple of other places as they depend on the customers of that shop popping in.

Advertisement