Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone thread

• 03-05-2017 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

I often see people posing various questions about Athlone (suggestions for restaurants, places to go, pubs etc). I thought maybe it would be a good idea to have a thread running that would keep this stuff together and get some community spirit going while we're at it :D:D I have noticed other towns our size with threads like this and they seem to do well.

So if you have a question about our fair town, or just want somewhere to discuss whatever's going on locally, maybe this would be the place for it.

Has anyone tried either of the Asian Street Food places, or that new tapas bar yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

Great idea!! I can't recommend the Yakisoba place in Belhavel enough. The food is absolutely divine. I'd also advise people to check out Chameleon there up from Permanent TSB. It's cheap and cheerful and the food is delicious. I've never had Polish food before going there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Heard a rumour that Coppers was opening again, place has been given a massive cleaning inside. Anyone else hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that Coppers was opening again, place has been given a massive cleaning inside. Anyone else hear anything?
    Haven't heard anything. Don't know about inside but outside looks very shabby at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hope this is the right thread! I have a meeting in Athlone next week but will need to get a taxi from the train station. Do you know are there normally taxis waiting outside the train station or will I have to ring one? If so any recommendations of good companies would be great - thanks!

There's always taxis waiting right outside the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There's always taxis waiting right outside the door.

Great - thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Some craic with the football team eh. Hope the perpetrators get what's coming to them and a new club gets formed out of the rubble of all of this.

Some craic with the football team eh. Hope the perpetrators get what's coming to them and a new club gets formed out of the rubble of all of this.

Its some farce isn't it?

I presume they would be expelled from the league if found guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I worked down in Athlone years ago.
    I used to meet a girl in the Bon Bouche for tea, head to Sean's Tavern for a drink or two before heading on out to the Dell for the music and dancing.

I wonder if those places still exist as I haven't been in the town for over 40 years?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The Bon Bouche has a new name, but I can't think of it. Sean's is still Sean's, but the Dell burn't down years ago and the site is now part of a new junction.

• Advertisement

I think the Dell was levelled about 25 years ago!!!Is the Bon Bon now Ricks or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

T'is the end of an Athlone team on the LOI I fear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

T'is the end of an Athlone team on the LOI I fear

I would assume so, given their financial difficulties in the past, change of management and now the potential scandal brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

IF the FAI decide to make an example of Athlone and send them expel them from LoI (quite likely tbf), the likelihood is they just go again in Leinster Senior League and given the right direction, could be back in LoI within a couple of years. I don't know. Awful shame though, great facility in Lissywollen. If someone could come in and run the club properly then Athlone could be back among the bigger clubs. Still very much a soccer town.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think the Dell was levelled about 25 years ago!!!Is the Bon Bon now Ricks or something like that?
    Where about's was the Dell? It was clearly before my time.

Rick's bar is gone a few years now. The Bon Bouche was the upstairs part of Rick's but it existed on it's own for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

Where about's was the Dell? It was clearly before my time.

Rick's bar is gone a few years now. The Bon Bouche was the upstairs part of Rick's but it existed on it's own for a while.

The junction at the train station near the bus depot. Thin Lizzy once played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Probably the first real gig with the first band I was in was in The Dell. Don't think the locals were too happy with us belting out Metallica's version of Last Caress and The Ramones Palisades Park.....got paid ?60 between 4 of us, happy days for 1988!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Anyone any idea opposite Supervalue in Monksland the equipment there, seems a silly place to have them on the main road, never see anyone use them.

I've used the outdoor gym equipment once. Must use it more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

. Still very much a soccer town.

Do you really think so ?!
    Starting with the GAA .... you have 4 GAA clubs that have part of their catchment area in Athlone town ... Garrycastle, Athlone, St Bridgids and Clann na Gael. They all have serious operations and 3 of them have appeared in the the All-Club final town on St Patricks Day - there is not another town in Ireland that could come near to such a boast. Not to mention Caulry, Tubberclair, Castledaly, etc all within a few miles of the town

Rugby .... relatively speaking, Buccaneers consistently rank higher in rugby club ranking than Athlone Town do in League of Ireland club ranking

Even other less 'mass participation sports' are well organised and have high numbers participating with superb facilities .... swimming, athletics, hockey, etc

I could buy the argument of Athlone being a soccer town 40-50 years ago but i really think things have moved on in terms of diversity of sports and facilities. If anything, soccer is falling behind .... attendance at Athlone Town games in past few seasons is often bordering on pathetic. And personally, i hate the 'find-the-next-star-at-all-costs' attitude that is often prevalent in ADSL, very quickly casting aside those who do not cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

blast06 wrote: »
    Do you really think so ?!
    Starting with the GAA .... you have 4 GAA clubs that have part of their catchment area in Athlone town ... Garrycastle, Athlone, St Bridgids and Clann na Gael. They all have serious operations and 3 of them have appeared in the the All-Club final town on St Patricks Day - there is not another town in Ireland that could come near to such a boast. Not to mention Caulry, Tubberclair, Castledaly, etc all within a few miles of the town

Rugby .... relatively speaking, Buccaneers consistently rank higher in rugby club ranking than Athlone Town do in League of Ireland club ranking

Even other less 'mass participation sports' are well organised and have high numbers participating with superb facilities .... swimming, athletics, hockey, etc

I could buy the argument of Athlone being a soccer town 40-50 years ago but i really think things have moved on in terms of diversity of sports and facilities. If anything, soccer is falling behind .... attendance at Athlone Town games in past few seasons is often bordering on pathetic. And personally, i hate the 'find-the-next-star-at-all-costs' attitude that is often prevalent in ADSL, very quickly casting aside those who do not cut it.

like everything else in the town, even the soccer team is dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    like everything else in the town, even the soccer team is dodgy

Elaborate....
    If its an effort at humour then it shows a lot of the problems of small town Ireland where people prefer to talk down their area at any opportunity (even if they know what they are saying is not true) rather than talking it up at every opportunity.
    I prefer the latter approach

It's a day for Coosan or Hodson Bay today lads and ladies. I sure make good use of the weather with a walk, gardening and a trip through town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone get a Lotto ticket in the Topaz beside KFC?

I wish. May they enjoy that ?6 million.

ADSL is finished as far as I know, a lot of the teams are playing in the MSL league next year.

As for soccer finished in the town, I don't think so, especially at underage. Every club in town has a huge amount of kids playing now, both boys and girls which is great to see. All ages as well from u8's to seniors.
    Unfortunately the FAI want to move to summer soccer which will be a disaster, like what's mentioned above, gaelic is the first sport of many of the kids.

As for the lotto, hope its someone local who deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone remember the famous Shannon Queen?
    Many a good night I had on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Fuel in Topaz for 61c for 61 minutes tomorrow starting at 1.06pm

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

With the good weather and all is it just me or is the 99s in Kilmartins quite stingey got one today for the first time in yonks and was quite disappointed anyone recommended where's the best one in town ?

• Advertisement

Steven81 wrote: »
    Fuel in Topaz for 61c for 61 minutes tomorrow starting at 1.06pm

I take it, that's the one with the winner?

Advertisement