Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just a place for anyone who does LC Religion to gather and discuss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Resources are few and far between for anyone doing Religion independently or even in classes, so perhaps we could bounce ideas off of each other here?:pac:

I guess you're not the typical student then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 typicalstudent

Blue giant wrote: »
    I guess you're not the typical student then.

60 students in my year doing it out of around 100! I'm as generic as they come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

60 students in my year doing it out of around 100! I'm as generic as they come!

:eek: Your school accounts for about five percent of the cohort then!

:eek: Your school accounts for about five percent of the cohort then!

Yeah trying to work it to my advantage, tell me if I'm wrong but usually all our exams would be corrected together or there and there abouts. I mean my exams and journal should be corrected by the same person as everyone else in my year, as well as another 200 or so from outside of the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeah trying to work it to my advantage, tell me if I'm wrong but usually all our exams would be corrected together or there and there abouts. I mean my exams and journal should be corrected by the same person as everyone else in my year, as well as another 200 or so from outside of the school?

Yes the same examiner will get all the exams from your school.

• Advertisement

OP, what has been your experience of studying "Religious Education"? Have you any experience to compare it with History or another essay subject? I think it's close to a travesty that it is named such and not Philosophy and Religions or Theology. As one who is staunchly irreligious, I never even considered taking the subject as I thought it would be an extension of the dire JC subject. It was only at the end of Sixth Year that I had a look at one of the papers and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw: all religions treated equally; much opportunity to avoid "religion" and instead answer on ethics, justice, etc.; no assumption of belief; exam questions which genuinely cause people to question faith - this from 2012:
    "'Morality is a natural human phenomenon.' Investigate one way in which evidence for this statement can be seen in Ancient Greek civilization."

From what little I've seen, there is an absence of any mention of atheism or disbelief, which is notable considering the increasing numbers identifying as not being religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kmac16

Any predictions for essays on the HL Religion paper?

Kmac16 wrote: »
    Any predictions for essays on the HL Religion paper?

The general word around my school seems to be Aristotle is a cert? And there is an unreasonable focus on the three humanist philosophers but I disagree with that.
    I'll be covering everything as best as possible but with a special focus on Aristotle.

OP, what has been your experience of studying "Religious Education"? Have you any experience to compare it with History or another essay subject? I think it's close to a travesty that it is named such and not Philosophy and Religions or Theology. As one who is staunchly irreligious, I never even considered taking the subject as I thought it would be an extension of the dire JC subject. It was only at the end of Sixth Year that I had a look at one of the papers and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw: all religions treated equally; much opportunity to avoid "religion" and instead answer on ethics, justice, etc.; no assumption of belief; exam questions which genuinely cause people to question faith - this from 2012:
    "'Morality is a natural human phenomenon.' Investigate one way in which evidence for this statement can be seen in Ancient Greek civilization."

From what little I've seen, there is an absence of any mention of atheism or disbelief, which is notable considering the increasing numbers identifying as not being religious.

I study Business, Geography, Accounting and Religion as well as the three core subjects.
    Religion is very interesting and I am an atheist myself, although I do not need to flaunt it on forms.
    Unit one is largely philosophically based but it moves through to contemporary society. A lot of the course is very waffley which makes it easier to bull**** answers and give them the look of more meat.
    It is very easy to understand and the syllabus outcomes are a great guide for you to know what to do, very black and white. Although, I do feel the syllabus is orientated slightly more to Christianity than anything else. The marking schemes are fair but teachers who have marked before that I have spoken to said that they are all marked by clergy. These clergy will definitely, unarguably mark you down for any remarks they find unnecessary. Eg: I'm an atheist. I personally write my essays from the point of view of someone who is highly religious and respecting of the religious society as a whole. Poking holes in it is poking holes in the examiners life, and after all, it's a points race.

I study Business, Geography, Accounting and Religion as well as the three core subjects. Religion is very interesting and I am an atheist myself, although I do not need to flaunt it on forms. Unit one is largely philosophically based but it moves through to contemporary society. A lot of the course is very waffley which makes it easier to bull**** answers and give them the look of more meat. It is very easy to understand and the syllabus outcomes are a great guide for you to know what to do, very black and white. Although, I do feel the syllabus is orientated slightly more to Christianity than anything else. The marking schemes are fair but teachers who have marked before that I have spoken to said that they are all marked by clergy. These clergy will definitely, unarguably mark you down for any remarks they find unnecessary. Eg: I'm an atheist. I personally write my essays from the point of view of someone who is highly religious and respecting of the religious society as a whole. Poking holes in it is poking holes in the examiners life, and after all, it's a points race.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure whether you were referring to me when you mentioned flaunting on forums, but, if you were, I'm now going to reinforce it!

I'm disappointed that you feel you have to answer as though devoutly religious: they give you questions like the one I mentioned in my first post, but some students feel it necessary to conceal their true opinions, and instead write what they feel would be appreciated. If what you say is true, it's almost like they are goading you into making the argument that morals are independent of religion, only to then pounce and fail you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Yeah, I didn't even consider Religion for the same reasons, and was sad to learn that all my friends who did the subject liked it the most.

Advertisement