Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE on Freeview

• 24-07-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but this looked like the most likely place to ask..
    I cancelled my Sky subs and as of this morning most of the channels I used to have are not accessible.. but a healthy list of freeview (or free to air.. not sure of the diff).. are still there incl BBC, ITV, some kids channels and a whole load of reality/wedding/travel channels etc and I access them in the same way as I always did thru my sky box

None of the Irish channels are accessible through my sky box tho.. RTE1, 2, TV3, TG4 and Channel 6 are all blanked out with the blue and yellow info screen.. Do I need an aerial to get these or why are they not available??

Thanks to anyone who can help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭cormacl

yes an aerial is required to get the terrestrial. RTE + TV3 only broadcast with an active Sky sub in ROI.

At this stage, I'd recommend you remove the Irish card and power down the box.. it should reboot into UK mode, putting BBC1 at the 101 slot and so on. It will also show BBC3-4, BBC News24, CBBC, C-Beebies etc on the EPG. These are not shown on the normal Irish EPG and must be added using the other channels option.

I believe Sky Three will still display with a disabled Irish card.. but you're not missing much there to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Freeview is UK TERRESTRIAL

Satellite without a subscription is FTA (Free to Air).

RTE etc do not provide TV on Satellite. It is part of a Sky package.

BBC & ITV are not part of Sky.

If the box does not do UK channel list without a card, put card in and remove it while in Sky Interactive via red on Sky News
    Backup and exit and the UK listings/ channels will load.

Use Favorites and Guide then Purple button to have EPG of just the channels you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 belurani

thanks a million.. powered down and rebooted and all BBC ITV etc there at the top.. so my favourites list looks a million times better now that Men and Motors and S4C aren't the first channels you see:)

So if I get an aerial will I be able to access RTE thru the sky box or will I need to tune them in on another frequency? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but I'm fairly clueless in all of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭cormacl

No.. you will need to tun in the terrestrial stations manually on the TV as standard analogue stations.. e.g. 1-4.

You can run the aeriel feed through the box such that its RF out will deliver the aeriel signal and the digibox's signal.. say to a TV in another room... but no way to make the analogue stations appear on the Sky box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

belurani wrote:
    So if I get an aerial will I be able to access RTE thru the sky box or will I need to tune them in on another frequency? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but I'm fairly clueless in all of this...

You need a Sky subscription to watch RTÉ One, Two, TV3, TG4 and Channel 6 through satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 FTO

Mossy Monk wrote:
    You need a Sky subscription to watch RTÉ One, Two, TV3, TG4 and Channel 6 through satellite.

In relation to the Irish channels are you sure about this?

A friend of mine got the sky box fitted, just the one off payment of 400 no subscription and he said (i havent seen it myself so dont shoot the messenger) the guy who installed it tuned in RTE1 and RTE2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

FTO wrote:

A friend of mine got the sky box fitted, just the one off payment of 400 no subscription and he said (i havent seen it myself so dont shoot the messenger) the guy who installed it tuned in RTE1 and RTE2!!

Yes, certain. You can feed an aerial into the back of the sky box and run coax from the sky box to the tv. This lets me tune in the irish channels on 1-4 and the sky channels on 5. Perhaps your friend has this set-up.

Or else he bought a years subscription upfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

FTO wrote:

I am positive about this.

Advertisement