Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

business on my own

Options
  • 18-04-2014 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Going into 5th year and really want to do business however my school doesn't offer business business at leaving cert for this years 5th years and is instead doing Accounting.

I absolutely adored business for junior cert and don't want to drop it for leaving cert.. Is it difficult to study it on your own?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

It's probably one of the easiest subjects to do on your own I think. There is absolutely nothing that's difficult to understand but there is quite a bit to learn. You have to approach questions methodically and have plenty of appropriate examples so a few grinds when you're in LC might be beneficial.

I'd recommend it for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

orlaxxx wrote: »
    Going into 5th year and really want to do business however my school doesn't offer business business at leaving cert for this years 5th years and is instead doing Accounting.

I absolutely adored business for junior cert and don't want to drop it for leaving cert.. Is it difficult to study it on your own?

Thank you!

Definitely could be done on your own. Just be careful because all textbooks available for business are awful. Any definitions you learn should be taken from the marking schemes. In fact, I've pretty much learned off the whole course from the marking schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

Any advices on which books would be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Any advices on which books would be the best?

We use "21st Century Business" in our school, written by William Murphy and published by CJ Fallon. http://www.cjfallon.ie/book/21st-century-business-revised-edition/ I find it to be great book - everything is well-explained and easy to follow, and good exam-style questions are provided at the end of each chapter. Learning Business on your own is totally do-able, it's a very straight-forward subject that you could a very high grade in with a bit of study and practice. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I thought I should give my opinion, as the OP seems to be going full steam ahead with the plan to take up Business! Excuse my immodesty (:o), but I did very well in my LC. Yet, before I dropped Business, I was getting C's in class tests. In truth, I did substantially increase my application after dropping, but it still remains that Business was one of my worst subjects. I'd go into class tests with a decent knowledge of the chapter, but then struggle with time and style of answering. Unlike with Economics, where you can throw down the information however you like - bullet points, paragraphs, etc - there is a particular way of answering that Business marking schemes require (maybe one of the other posters would give an example - for example, something about "Illustrate" meaning to state, explain, and give an example). Unless one had access to a teacher who would correct the odd question, I wouldn't advise taking it alone.

• Advertisement

I thought I should give my opinion, as the OP seems to be going full steam ahead with the plan to take up Business! Excuse my immodesty (:o), but I did very well in my LC. Yet, before I dropped Business, I was getting C's in class tests. In truth, I did substantially increase my application after dropping, but it still remains that Business was one of my worst subjects. I'd go into class tests with a decent knowledge of the chapter, but then struggle with time and style of answering. Unlike with Economics, where you can throw down the information however you like - bullet points, paragraphs, etc - there is a particular way of answering that Business marking schemes require (maybe one of the other posters would give an example - for example, something about "Illustrate" meaning to state, explain, and give an example). Unless one had access to a teacher who would correct the odd question, I wouldn't advise taking it alone.

You're correct about a specific style of answering. Different question words require a different type of response, but all these words are explained in the exam papers (Edco edition anyway). I wouldn't worry too much about the answering style until Leaving Cert OP, and that's why I'd recommend a few grinds. The marking schemes which are available online are also a valuable resource when it comes to examination questions.

I considering taking up economics but it was only area of business I found monotonous at jc level. Also the main reason why I am choosing business is mainly because I want to study Commerce in third level.

I considering taking up economics but it was only area of business I found monotonous at jc level. Also the main reason why I am choosing business is mainly because I want to study Commerce in third level.

The economics of JC Business is in no way representative of LC Economics.

This is the LC Business syllabus. I really liked JC Business - the content seemed relevant and it had a balance between accounting and "business". The LC subject is almost entirely stripped of accounting, and, IMO, is both less relevant and more "wishy-washy". I don't care about "the skills and characteristics" of entrepreneurs and managers, and question whether they can be accurately assessed with such superficial analysis. However, I know people who really enjoyed the subject and looked forward to going to class. A lot probably depends on the teacher; mine would transcribe what was in the textbook to the whiteboard, and then get us to take it down as notes. :mad:

Of the three (strictly speaking, four :p) business subjects, I think Accounting would be, by far, the most beneficial for Commerce.

If you want to do commerce at third level you need* to do accounting. This will cause you untold difficulty when you go to third level otherwise. All other aspects of the commerce course can be picked up quite easily but it'll be hugely beneficial if you have a solid foundation in accounting.

*not a requirement but it'll make your life infinitely easier. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Thank you!

Well that all depends on your discipline on your studies, Would you have the time to study another subject on top of everything else?
    Business is simplistic and the concepts are not difficult to get around but it can be broad and dense.

If you want to pull a fast one then I suggest taking a subject like Physics and after the second term in school get an exemption.
    Fella in my Physics class(I'm in fifth btw) was awful at everything involving mechanics and thus was forced into getting an exemption and now uses the class for revising Irish.It's too late after Christmas too change classes.

EDIT: Nevermind I just seen yer post regarding Commerce.I seriously suggest taking accounting.

• Advertisement

The economics of JC Business is in no way representative of LC Economics.

This is the LC Business syllabus. I really liked JC Business - the content seemed relevant and it had a balance between accounting and "business". The LC subject is almost entirely stripped of accounting, and, IMO, is both less relevant and more "wishy-washy". I don't care about "the skills and characteristics" of entrepreneurs and managers, and question whether they can be accurately assessed with such superficial analysis. However, I know people who really enjoyed the subject and looked forward to going to class. A lot probably depends on the teacher; mine would transcribe what was in the textbook to the whiteboard, and then get us to take it down as notes. :mad:

Of the three (strictly speaking, four :p) business subjects, I think Accounting would be, by far, the most beneficial for Commerce.

+1 on this. Leaving Cert business isn't in anyway beneficial for further study in 3rd level. In contrast, Accounting and Economics give you a solid foundation. However of the three, business is definitely the best for points

thelad95 wrote: »
    +1 on this. Leaving Cert business isn't in anyway beneficial for further study in 3rd level. In contrast, Accounting and Economics give you a solid foundation. However of the three, business is definitely the best for points

Well, if I were going for an A1, I'd rather be studying Accounting than Economics, and much rather it than Business.

Well, if I were going for an A1, I'd rather be studying Accounting than Economics, and much rather it than Business.

Not everyone has an aptitude for accounting. Business is just learning off and regurgitating theory.

robman60 wrote: »
    If you want to do commerce at third level you need* to do accounting. This will cause you untold difficulty when you go to third level otherwise. All other aspects of the commerce course can be picked up quite easily but it'll be hugely beneficial if you have a solid foundation in accounting.

*not a requirement but it'll make your life infinitely easier. ;)

I forgot to mention that I have already picked accounting but thanks for the advice.

Advertisement