Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion rough estimate

• 23-08-2004 11:39am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The other half has gone and got herself pregnant again :rolleyes: ,so I am thinking of getting the attic done anybody have one done lately...?I am in a 3 bed semi in Dublin.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Dub13 wrote:
    I am in a 3 bed semi in Dublin.Thanks

A friend got his done recently , again Dublin for €25K. That included a toilet and WHB in the attic, a more basic job could have been done for about 16K I think.

The company did a good job, and in roughly the time they said they would, if you go any further, I'll get their number for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Could you post their details ?

I got quoted €25k from attic conversions.ie for the most basic job - rip off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sister and husband in Clane got a quote of 26k for a coversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Jaysus.....25-26 grand for an Attic conversion!

Was thinking of getting it done with a sorta dormer style....can only imagine the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mine is in the process of being converted - 3 bed house in Cork

Conversion with full ensuite, three roof windows - no dormer - €16k all in to include bathroom ware, flooring & electrics. Had three quotes, two at €16k & one at €20k.

Really pleased with the quality of work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Andip wrote:

Conversion with full ensuite, three roof windows - no dormer - €16k all in to include bathroom ware, flooring & electrics. Had three quotes, two at €16k & one at €20k.

Thats good News I was planing to spend around the 16k mark,how long from start to finsh...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Depends on how many working - I have two guys working on mine. In fairness, they fitted me in amongst other jobs, so its dragging on a bit - they gave me a full week initially & are now working weekends. Nearly finished, so I'd say a total of two weeks full time would do it easily.

Just on the pricing point, the guys I have working for me do quite a bit of stuff for the family & are very open with their pricing. They showed me the net materials & labour list & they are basically making just over four grand between them for the job, cash in hand, so I'd be very wary of paying much more than 16k for the whole thing unless you were including dormer work etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having a dormer tends to provide a bit more usable standing space.

Put as much storage in the eaves as possible.

The top of the house can get quite hot in summer - much sure there is ventilation. Possibly have the door at the bottom of the stairs to prevent all the heat going upstairs in winter.

Make sure the roof is properly insulated, with a vapour barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Sorry to Jump in on this one but are you allowed convert the attics in apartment blocks?
    There's a lot of beams up there, so just wondering.

Cheers,

C.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Andip wrote:

Is this city or county Do you mean a normal 3-bed semi ? Did they have to change the A-Beams ? End of questions ... :-)

• Advertisement

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
    Sorry to Jump in on this one but are you allowed convert the attics in apartment blocks?
    Your lease / title documents are likely to forbid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

Andip wrote: »

Im living in cork and am thinking of getting a 3 bed house attic converted. Can you give me their details please? They sound pretty good..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Dub13 wrote: »
    The other half has gone and got herself pregnant again :rolleyes: ,so I am thinking of getting the attic done anybody have one done lately...?I am in a 3 bed semi in Dublin.Thanks

Hi
    Do you know it will only be a store room when you are finished (that is if you are selling later)I did my own and am over the moon with it but if I was selling tomorrow it would be sold as a 3 bedroom with a store room can you put a double dog leg stairs over the existing stairs if you can go for it it will save space ;) if you want to see 1 I can show you mine Sandyford area.

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Do you know it will only be a store room when you are finished (that is if you are selling later)I did my own and am over the moon with it but if I was selling tomorrow it would be sold as a 3 bedroom with a store room can you put a double dog leg stairs over the existing stairs if you can go for it it will save space ;) if you want to see 1 I can show you mine Sandyford area.

Thanks for the offer but this thread was started 4 years ago and I am sitting in my Attic now.

Hi
    If you sort out the planning permission, have adequate floor to ceiling height and do suitable fire proofing then it can be a bedroom.

Victor wrote: »
    If you sort out the planning permission, have adequate floor to ceiling height and do suitable fire proofing then it can be a bedroom.

Very true,but the cheap way around that and the way most people seem to go is to just sell the house as a 3 bedroom with Attic conversion.

Victor wrote: »

Hi Victor
    Yes you are spot on saying that but that is a lot of cash out of your pocket and people dont have it .

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer but this thread was started 4 years ago and I am sitting in my Attic now.

Hi Dub13
    Sorry was not looking at the date anyway hope you are happy with your new room (well 4 year old room) just trying to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

I do them for 20,000 with 3 vlux a lovely stair case including painting ready to move in to also with the cert most important remember you cant sell the house with out it and very hard to get a cert after the jobs done

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

Hi

I have recently got 4 quotes for an attic conversion.
    3 from companies that only do attic conversions, all around 17K.
    1 from a company that does other construction also, 13.5K.
    Don't know why the big difference. Am wondering is it because the company that is cheaper is a bigger company and can afford cheaper??

The other thing is I don't need a suspended floor because there is already a steel beam supporting the attic floor underneath, the floor beams are 7 inches instead of normal smaller size, and there are already 2 steel beams supporting the roof.

All the companies know this, but maybe the cheaper one is the only one actually taking this into consideration??

Anyway, how long did it take you Carpenter to do it yourself? How much did it cost you?

• Advertisement

If you dont need to support the floor the one for 13.5 sounds fine it should take no longer than four weeks including painting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Don't know why the big difference. Am wondering is it because the company that is cheaper is a bigger company and can afford cheaper??

The other thing is I don't need a suspended floor because there is already a steel beam supporting the attic floor underneath, the floor beams are 7 inches instead of normal smaller size, and there are already 2 steel beams supporting the roof.

All the companies know this, but maybe the cheaper one is the only one actually taking this into consideration??

Anyway, how long did it take you Carpenter to do it yourself? How much did it cost you?

is your house new, sounds like its built so theres a option for an attic in future, so you shouldnt need much structural work, maybe none at all, which explains the lower price but you can ask the builder. if your thinking a doing it yourself it will probably take a month or more and youll need a hand for the stairs and stuff

the house is 20 yrs old and was built with attic conversion in mind.
    just got another quote for 14.5K

another question............i thought kingspan was best insulation, probably because most of the guys giving me quotes says it is but the a last couple said they would use "Actis, Triso-Super 10" and said it is the latest and greatest, even better than kingspan.

Anyone know which is better.........have brochere that says Actis has U-Value of 0.19. Have tried looking up Kingspan U-Value but too many choices.

Anyone any experience with either or both?

ahhhhhh, just got a quote for 11,000. so cheap its scary...what to do, what to do??

Hi
    I did it in 3 weeks and the cost was 5k mind you I did the lot myself:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

ahhhhhh, just got a quote for 11,000. so cheap its scary...what to do, what to do??

Ask them can you take a look at their past projects involving attic conversions! Ask them all and take a look and ask their past clients how they fared...

I recently got a double extension plus attic conversion. Got couple quotes and went with one of them (Gut feeling). Asked builders could we see past jobs and builder actually brought us around to them. Nothing but praise for them. After the extension was finished we had some extras but he allowed for windows we got ourselves and a few other things. The builder actually owed us money at end and we wrote out the snag check at end accordingly...

Very happy. If your in Dublin and want their number PM me and get a quote from them...

Be sure that price includes a certificate of compliance its most important and not so easy to get after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

the actis triso super10 is a thin layered foil insulation. i used on afriends attic i did. engineer requested it. it supposed to be equivalent to 200mm fibreglass, buts its expensive about E500. you cant get enough kingspan in between rafters to pass energy ratings. its easy to use but i dont know how effective it really is some reckon its not as good as traditional insulation. if you get an engineer for a cert he may recommend it

Advertisement