Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N56 - Dungloe to Glenties

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/164041/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

The Letterilly-Kilraine scheme won’t go ahead in one go; it’ll be phased. First 4.1km has gone to tender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

So that means they're dragging it out for even longer? :mad:

I'm delighted the road is finally being sorted but we've already had the best part of a decade of never ending roadworks, stop-go's and disruption on the N56

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dungloe-Cloghbolie contract awarded to BAM

https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/05/14/contractor-appointed-for-major-road-project-in-west-donegal/

Super news for West Donegal. 7.1km would be 2/3 separate schemes not long ago

Does that mean it is going ahead as one project then..?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does that mean it is going ahead as one project then..?

That section is. Leterilly-Kilraine is still split I believe.

• Advertisement

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/231093

Official tender award to BAM.

€19.2m for 7.2km of single carriageway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Great news.

BAM haven't wasted any time, large site compound set up just opposite the R252 junction and some fairly substantial earthworks already underway closer to Dungloe

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ernestcooke91

So, we have a big road closure coming for these roadworks going from this on the Donegal County Council website:
    http://www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalcountyc/roads/pdfs/roadclosures/Initial%20Notice.pdf

Over 8 months, that's certainly quite a while!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is Phase 3 Kilkenny to Letterilly still ongoing?
    I've no record of it finishing. If it finished when was this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ernestcooke91

spacetweek wrote: »
    Is Phase 3 Kilkenny to Letterilly still ongoing?
    I've no record of it finishing. If it finished when was this?

Looks finished to me.

I think the reduced speed limits have been removed AFAIK.

Looks finished to me.

I think the reduced speed limits have been removed AFAIK.

Thanks. Anyone any idea when this happened?

Dungloe section is now fully U/C, stop go in place outside Dungloe with earthworks and topsoil stripping well underway. BAM also appear to have resurfaced a few km of the R252 (or at least their signs have been used for the roadworks)

Looks like the plan at the stop-go is to temporarily divert traffic back to the original alignment that was only replaced around 15 years ago!

Here..
    https://goo.gl/maps/qDXZfzcQVBJtVCjK6

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think that was done by DCC direct labour and hence took about 15 years to be done!

Kilkenny-Letterilly

Just for the record, it looks like the scheme may have been completed in March then finishing works didn't happen until after the lockdown.

Does that sound right?

Kilkenny-Letterilly

Just for the record, it looks like the scheme may have been completed in March then finishing works didn't happen until after the lockdown.

Does that sound right?

The photo is of a small diversion done about fifteen years ago; not Kilkenny-Letterilly. I haven't been up recently to confirm if that's true about that scheme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From where the upgrade works commenced closest to Glenties, are they doing from there to Glenties town? Was on road today/yesterday, the improvement between there and letter is huge. Seems to be some big work going on closer to Dungloe too

The eventual scheme is going to be from south/west of Glenties all the way to Dungloe; excluding any upgrade to Glenties town.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

L1011 wrote: »
    The eventual scheme is going to be from south/west of Glenties all the way to Dungloe; excluding any upgrade to Glenties town.

South/west as in the Ardara side of Glenties? Thatd be even better, was just hoping theyd extend the current road closer to the town, say to like the petrol station if was possible

They're doing up as far as the R252 turn off I think, hopefully they'll re-design the junction at the top of Glenties to give priority to the N56 as well
    Kilkenny-Letterilly

Does that sound right?

I haven't been along that section since before lockdown, from what I've heard its now fully open though seems odd there were no politicians out for brownie points with a proper opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Kilkenny-Letterilly

Does that sound right?

I think there were a few snagging issues to sort after the lockdown but it was otherwise completed before that.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

A few pics from just outside Dungloe this morning

IMG-20200801-125108.jpg

IMG-20200801-125105.jpg

IMG-20200801-125139.jpg

Any word on when Phase 4 Letterilly to Kilraine is starting? Was supposed to be August past.

marno21 wrote: »

Phase 1? Has this tiny scheme been split into 2 phases?

Or did they mean to say Phase 4, as Letterilly-Kilraine is Phase 4 of Dungloe-Glenties?

I see the length in the tender is 4.1 km, but the official scheme length is 4.9. Perhaps Phase 2 is the other 800 metres.

Phase 1? Has this tiny scheme been split into 2 phases?

Or did they mean to say Phase 4, as Letterilly-Kilraine is Phase 4 of Dungloe-Glenties?

I see the length in the tender is 4.1 km, but the official scheme length is 4.9. Perhaps Phase 2 is the other 800 metres.

Its been split. The length given for it up-thread was 7.5km; which would make the second bundle 3.4km.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its been split. The length given for it up-thread was 7.5km; which would make the second bundle 3.4km.
    You probably have better knowledge than me of this going by your posts to date in this thread, but it seems to my eye that Phase 1 is the northern side of Glenties and Phase 2 is the remainder of the N56 from Glenties to Kilraine (R262)?

I haven't been home in a shockingly long time so don't rely on me for local info but yes, I think that's the case.

Was about to head up for a week when the first local lockdown stopped me.

Do we have any idea when Phase 2 will start?

• Advertisement

None from what I can see. The PIN for the entire Letterilly-Kilraine (7.5km) was put out in December 2018, and then the actual tender notice for the first 4.1km of same was put out in March. According to the media the entire 7.5km was to go out to tender in 2019, and was budgeted for. It's not clear why it was shortened, perhaps the budget wouldn't cover the entire 7.5km

I'd imagine the remaining 3.4km will go ahead in 2021. Can't be dragging this out for too much longer and there will be lots of capital funding available considering a) the cycling component of this and b) there is only one major project that can feasibly go ahead in the next three years (N5)

Advertisement