Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yoga for anxiety and depression

• 29-09-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone out there used yoga successfully for anxiety/depression problems? I have been doing yoga everyday for the past two months to deal with this. While I have felt the physical benefits I haven't noticed any great change in my mental health. I would love to know if anyone has found genuine mental health benefits from yoga and how long it took before the benefits became evident. I'm hoping to find some peace of mind. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 LuG123

HI Alias06

I started yoga over 2 years ago and initially I started it only for physical purposes and to do something other than regular gym classes. Once I started I was hooked and like you I felt the physical benefits.
    I suffered hugely with anxiety and as I hadn't started yoga for this reason it was not something I was looking out for. However after practising for a few months I began to realise that I had become less anxious and a much happier person in general. I think I noticed it most when I went through a difficult period personally. Previously I think I would have really struggled but I can honestly say that I think yoga was the main thing that gave me the strength to get through things.
    For me it wasn't a sudden change but a gradual one. I'm not sure if this helps but personally it has been the best thing I have ever done and its now a huge part of my life.
    While it may be different for you and you may not get as much from it as I have (everyone is different) it can;t do any harm and the physical practice will surely help.
    I practice Vinyasa flow as its a strong practise linking the breath with the movement. For me this is best as I get the physical benefits and for an hour and a half I am so focused on what I am doing that my mind completely switches off (something I find hard to do). Even after the tough day once I finish my practice I always feel better.
    One thing I might suggest if you haven;t already done so is try a few different styles. There are so many types of yoga and its about finding the one that's right for you and also a good teacher(s). I've been very lucky to have had some great teachers.
    My suggestion would be to stick at it and I really do hope you get as much from it as I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

Hi Lug,

Thanks very much for your post. That's great to know. I have the same problem in that I find it very hard to every switch off and really relax. I do find the yoga beneficial and find I am much more relaxed after a class. I am hoping to notice more lasting benefits for my stress and anxiety as the months go on. I have tried a few styles and I also find the flow classes the best in terms of releasing tension. Its a beautiful practice and I am definitely going to keep it up regardless, but I am really hoping it can bring great relief to my anxiety also.

Thanks again.

Advertisement