Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No credit card , car hire

• 14-04-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello folks heading to barcelona in a few weeks and driving around northern spain , so need to hire a car for the driving bit but dont have a credit card .
    Anybody have any experience or advise on this situation ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Travel Motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You won't be able to.

Still the wrong forum. Should be in travel. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sometimes you are able to rent with a Visa Debit, which functions like a Laser, but unlike a Laser is actually useful abroad and online.
    But they will block a deposit, so half your account could be frozen.
    I do keep a credit card just for car rental abroad, but got such a lousy limit, there's not enough available to rent one in the first place.:(

Yeah if you have a card like Visa Debit that should work no bother.
    If you can pay up front on-line or similar you can have someone here at home pay for it and you give them cash.
    NB the company may take a massive deposit.
    Still the wrong forum. Should be in travel. ;)
    Aye, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have a Mastercard debit card, and so far had no problems using it for renting cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Hello folks heading to barcelona in a few weeks and driving around northern spain , so need to hire a car for the driving bit but dont have a credit card .
    Anybody have any experience or advise on this situation ???

Some places in heavily touristy areas do cash rentals, but mostly they don't. Use your debit card and pay the extra insurance, they shouldn't pre approve any amount then, and it's not that expensive, usually about 5e a day, as opposed to Ireland which is about 17e a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mcmurphy995

Thanks for all the advise , but i was told that we dont do debit cards in Ireland and that our laser cards are only good here and for ATM withdrawls in other countries but no good for actual purchases !!

where do i get a card from ???

PTSB went from Laser debit cards to Visa debit cards, that way you can use the debit card worldwide because it's a Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

OSI wrote: »
    Any bank that's not Bank of Ireland.
    :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ulster Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Sometimes you are able to rent with a Visa Debit, which functions like a Laser, but unlike a Laser is actually useful abroad and online.
    But they will block a deposit, so half your account could be frozen.
    I do keep a credit card just for car rental abroad, but got such a lousy limit, there's not enough available to rent one in the first place.:(

Sorry to revive this old thread but I am due to hire a car in Girona airport and like other posters here I only have an AIB Visa Debit Card - it this okay for car hire as long as I have the funds to pay for the car hire?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Sorry to revive this old thread but I am due to hire a car in Girona airport and like other posters here I only have an AIB Visa Debit Card - it this okay for car hire as long as I have the funds to pay for the car hire?

You need to check with the rental company. Not all take Debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Sully wrote: »
    You need to check with the rental company. Not all take Debit cards.

Thanks Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Try the smaller local hire companies. I'm sitting in Lanzarote and the travel forum recommended omnicars. I Googled and emailed them. 200 euro, cash on collection. No card required! Happy days

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Try the smaller local hire companies. I'm sitting in Lanzarote and the travel forum recommended omnicars. I Googled and emailed them. 200 euro, cash on collection. No card required! Happy days

Never heard of them! I think it was Payless I used the last time - cash no deposit even needed. Who'd have thought you could pay cash for car hire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I posted a thread some weeks ago here asking the same question. Someone recommended www.indigocarhire.co.uk. I booked a rental with them for August with a €250 deposit using a VISA Debit card :)

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement