Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best calibre for F-class

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I think a large part of the problem , if not the largest part is that the barrel life is very short on these rifles . The barrels arent cheap either.

As to how short .., well I heard recently that some of the USA team over at the F-class international said he wouldn't start an event with a barrel that had 500 rounds through it. Judgeing that there would be far more shooters than rifles at a day like that , any rifles used would get used ....a lot.

These guys and gals are at the cutting edge of the sport and so is their equipment. It's a bit like asking to "Have a go" for an afternoon in an F1 Ferrari .
    The engine just about lasts two races.It's unlikely to happen.

My understanding of the situation is that people who already have firearms capable of shooting to 600 Yards (.223, 6.5, .308..etc) bring them along and the experienced F-Class guys would give them some pointers on wind reading and show them the way forward. Even if their rifles werent good enough to compete with the big boys it would give people an idea of what is needed .

I kinda thought that was a valuable exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jaycee wrote:
    I think a large part of the problem , if not the largest part is that the barrel life is very short on these rifles . The barrels arent cheap either.

As to how short .., well I heard recently that some of the USA team over at the F-class international said he wouldn't start an event with a barrel that had 500 rounds through it. Judgeing that there would be far more shooters than rifles at a day like that , any rifles used would get used ....a lot.

These guys and gals are at the cutting edge of the sport and so is their equipment. It's a bit like asking to "Have a go" for an afternoon in an F1 Ferrari .
    The engine just about lasts two races.It's unlikely to happen.

My understanding of the situation is that people who already have firearms capable of shooting to 600 Yards (.223, 6.5, .308..etc) bring them along and the experienced F-Class guys would give them some pointers on wind reading and show them the way forward. Even if their rifles werent good enough to compete with the big boys it would give people an idea of what is needed .

I kinda thought that was a valuable exercise.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying above but some of the lads shoot .308 and 6.5x55 rifles which have much longer lives than the 6.5x284 wildcat barrels.

They also have the glass on top to make the 600 yard shots.

I have a varmint 223 which with its twist rate would be ok (as in I'd hit the target somewhere, no v bulls or anything) for 600 yard shooting but I don't have a scope that would be even close to good enough. The crosshair is too thick (combined with only 18 x mag) for even 300 yard shooting.

So it would be nice at least to get to lie down and look through the rifles at a 600 yard target with top of the line equipment and pull the trigger, no rounds need be discharged but just to get a feel for it.

To be honest I'd be much more into a practical rifle discipline where the range is unknown, the angle from muzzle to target unknown etc but these don't seem to exist here. Of course I'd see f class as a great way of getting in to this as you'd learn a great deal about the ballistics of your chosen round and how to read the wind etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I agree with a lot of what you are saying above but some of the lads shoot .308 and 6.5x55 rifles which have much longer lives than the 6.5x284 wildcat barrels.

Some , 308 some 6.5x55 it's true , but in the entire F-class shoot I think there was only one Irish .308 , can't remember how many ..if any, regular 6.5x55 shooters there were in total. There again if your asking someone for a favor and they don't feel comfortable with it , what can you do..?
    They also have the glass on top to make the 600 yard shots.

I have a varmint 223 which with its twist rate would be ok (as in I'd hit the target somewhere, no v bulls or anything) for 600 yard shooting but I don't have a scope that would be even close to good enough. The crosshair is too thick (combined with only 18 x mag) for even 300 yard shooting.

Agreed , mostly the f-class people are using 32x and 36x glass , I'm in pretty much the same position as you with a fast twist .223 and 18x glass , I guess I'll just have to buy bigger and better if I want to start shooting at further ranges. Then again , I already know that I need a better caliber and better glass to try shooting at that range , it's just a question of spending the dosh when I can and getting on with it.

BTW , shooting at a range of 300 meters with an 18x scope is roughly the same as looking at a 600 meter target with a 36x Scope except you have less drop and windage to contend with ...... and so I practice ...and practice ....and practice..and some day....:rolleyes:

Advertisement