Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claims made on ads that aren't true (nor ever challenged)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Feminine hair removal products. The model on the telly obviously has waxed legs already so let's glide a razor along them anyway.

"We need to talk about haemmorhoids / genital warts / bladder control / explosive diarrhoea and be all excited about it" eeehhh no we don't.

Just tell us what products to buy but let's not pretend we want to talk about this stuff in excruciating detail while we are trying to watch TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

My favourite one is "Supervalu, real food, real people"

.....well ye, that's the minimum I expect when shopping for food. How the fúck is that in any way a unique selling point??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My favourite one is "Supervalu, real food, real people"

.....well ye, that's the minimum I expect when shopping for food. How the fúck is that in any way a unique selling point??

As opposed to pretend food, made of wax.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

upupup wrote: »
    I ate lots of Ready brek as a child but never got that glow
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=514382&stc=1&d=1590524751
    AFAIK that ad was filmed in the North of England.

Up near "I can't believe it's not Windscale*" Sellafield

* I can't believe it's not Calder Hall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

"The Car in front is a Toyota"

Great slogan, but could never be true. :D

Or the best ever.

"The said it couldn't be done"

Guinness Light.

Oh, sh1t, that actually WAS true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Darc19 wrote: »
    "The Car in front is a Toyota"

Great slogan, but could never be true. :D

"You can with a Nissan"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Those women in the chocolate ads having a life changing experience eating chocolate ...like suddenly all their worries are gone no bills ...no annoying kids ....

Chocolate is not that good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Totally unlimited mobile data" which has usage limits

Congrats to the regulator on this :rolleyes:

It's 20 years since Esat told 2,000 of it's heaviest users to PFO because they were overusing it's "Surf no limits" product.

It's either unlimited or it's false advertising AKA fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

KKkitty wrote: »
    Feminine hair removal products. The model on the telly obviously has waxed legs already so let's glide a razor along them anyway.

Very true, same with male products, show me an ad where you shave a gorilla and I'll buy your product

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    This one is really annoying. There's some stupid rule that says that if a majority of customers don't go near the usage limit, they can advertise as unlimited.

eg GoMo

Unlimited Data plastered all over their ads.

(Capped at 80GB)
    I'll allow it

At 80% you get a text notification and at 100% the speed drops so you don't get hit with extra data charges.

Tethered to 200Kb/s is better than nothing, and way better than the 2.4Kb/s at 10p every 3 minutes of days gone by.

The sister product in Italy is €7.99 for 50Gb a month. but they charge you 90c per 100MB after that.

Those women in the chocolate ads having a life changing experience eating chocolate ...like suddenly all their worries are gone no bills ...no annoying kids ....

Chocolate is not that good.

It is now time to reveal the voice of the Cadbury's Caramel bunny.

Trust me. You are better off not knowing. This is a thread about untrue claims.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/mar/03/miriam-margolyes-like-men-dont-feel-groin-excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It is now time to reveal the voice of the Cadbury's Caramel bunny.

Trust me. You are better off not knowing. This is a thread about untrue claims.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/mar/03/miriam-margolyes-like-men-dont-feel-groin-excitement

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"Totally unlimited mobile data" which has usage limits
    Mr.S wrote: »
    This one is really annoying. There's some stupid rule that says that if a majority of customers don't go near the usage limit, they can advertise as unlimited.

This boiled my pish in the day. I queried it with ComReg. Thought I still had the reply, but yeah, basically because most people don't hit the limit they're allowed to call it unlimited. They couldn't understand the actual meaning of the word unlimited:

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Hand cut sandwiches..

Excuse me, can you cut my sandwich with your hand, please?

Certainly..

'PUT DOWN THE DAMN KNIFE AND USE YOUR BLOODY HAND LIKE IT SAYS IN THE ADVERT'

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Lever Brothers will give you your money back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For 20 years Toyota used the tagline 'the best built cars in the world' as part of its advertising in Ireland.

Now they're busy instead conning the world into thinking that their "self charging" hybrids pull electricity out of their arse and run their batteries on kinetic energy for 50% of their driving time when in fact the car has a real life electric range of about 3km, and just burns petrol to recharge the battery.

Their campaign has been banned as misleading in a number of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That the emergency services in this country will find you faster with Eircode.

(Sorry if mentioned before, the search function is disabled.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That the emergency services in this country will find you faster with Eircode.

(Sorry if mentioned before, the search function is disabled.)

I have a friend who was a paramedic and he insisted that it was a big help.

I know for me, stick my eircode into Google maps and it will take you right to my door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Mobile telcos claiming 90% coverage in Ireland.
    The small print revealed that it was 90% of the population not 90% of the landmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

KaneToad wrote: »
    The small print revealed that it was 90% of the population not 90% of the landmass.

Problem is you get rejections in Ballybackofmyhole when you want to fit a €250k mast to benefit the inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Problem is you get rejections in Ballybackofmyhole when you want to fit a €250k mast to benefit the inhabitants.

Well I bet they're laughing at us now! We allowed the masts and on came Covid. Not happening in their place, nosireebob, no masts, no 5G, no Covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have a friend who was a paramedic and he insisted that it was a big help.

I know for me, stick my eircode into Google maps and it will take you right to my door.

One eircode I entered in, got me mid section of a motorway. I was then expected to stop my car on the grass margin and walk the rest of the ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

keano_afc wrote: »
    Any laundry detergent that tells me it can get spaghetti sauce out of my white t-shirt and leave it looking exactly like it does when I bought it is lying to me.

You need to buy the pasta sauce that's so delicious you won't spill a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tic Tacs are made from 94.5% sugar.

But in the US, the nutritional facts box on the back lists the sugar content as 0g.

This is because the nutritional facts are done on a "per serving" basis, and they've defined a serving as one singe Tic Tac.

A Tic Tac weighs .49g. FDA rules only require sugar more than .5g per serving to be reported.

So 94.5% sugar legally becomes 0g.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Kippure probably has 30% population coverage on it's own
    https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Kippure

00096bb2-440.jpg

Advertisement